Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

*****ALAMO BOWL GAME THREAD: #20 TEXAS vs. #12 WASHINGTON HUSKIES*****

HornSports Staff

9 minutes ago, java said:

Whitt should have been targeted more. He is stronger and more reliable.  Cain, as well. Sanders.  Worthy gets pushed around.

thats how  I would play XW, get physical at the line and try and knock him off his route and timing, he is giving up 20-30 lbs on most of these guys. I think he also gets short arms over the middle, but if he gets a step on you GOODBYE

What irks me about Worthy is that he doesn't extend his arms when simply doing so will result in a catch, he won't change direction to adjust to a pass, and he seems irked when he has to slow down and go to a spot to catch a pass when that spot was the only place he could get open to. QBs will literally throw you open by throwing to a spot. They see the whole back half while the WR does not.

Before his case of brick hands began, we heard rumblings that he would portal out of here. Now that brick hands has set in, I think most of us wouldn't blink if he did.

8 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

What irks me about Worthy is that he doesn't extend his arms when simply doing so will result in a catch, he won't change direction to adjust to a pass, and he seems irked when he has to slow down and go to a spot to catch a pass when that spot was the only place he could get open to. QBs will literally throw you open by throwing to a spot. They see the whole back half while the WR does not.

Before his case of brick hands began, we heard rumblings that he would portal out of here. Now that brick hands has set in, I think most of us wouldn't blink if he did.

Agree with this. The best receivers I've seen do whatever it takes to adjust to the ball and get their hands on it. They love 50:50 balls because they'll go get it. XW just doesn't do this very often. Almost like it's the QB's fault if it's not a perfect pass that hits him in the hands while he's in stride. And even then, there's no guarantee that he'll catch it. Perfect passes seldom happen at any level because QBs are often under pressure. You have to adjust almost all the time if you want to be elite. It's so frustrating to watch when you see the best ones do it. 

11 minutes ago, Baron said:

Reading a lot of posts and listening to podcasts, Longhorn nation is okay if Worthy decides to leave. I've read and heard some damning stuff.

Yup I read one post from a Longhorn site on FB that said he was gone but couldn't back it up with any credible info, he didnt do himself any favors last night

4 minutes ago, Hiwood said:

Yup I read one post from a Longhorn site on FB that said he was gone but couldn't back it up with any credible info, he didnt do himself any favors last night

I'm okay if he wants to stay, but if he wants to portal. Later.

He has "alligator arms" even when he's not in a situation to get lit up. Just doesn't seem to put in any extra effort to get to the ball. 

Watched Evan Stewart in a recent game (before the bowl season obviously), and he was impressive. He did whatever was necessary to get his body in position to try to make a catch on a less than perfect throw. Day and night from what I see from XW. It's clear why Sark has worked so hard to bring in more top notch receivers.

Yes the Neyor injury really crippled us. Worthy is a good receiver, he has blazing speed which can’t be taught, and until last night, was fairly reliable. He leads the team in receiving by a substantial margin.

He needs other good receivers around him. He shouldn’t be the go to guy all the time. 
Home run plays are good, but what kills a defense is a March down the field of 20 or more plays. That’s why Huskies double teamed Sanders and Whit most of the night.

Worthy if used right can still be a valuable asset. 

I've been pretty busy the last couple of days so while I read the Game Thread, I haven't posted my thoughts so here they are.

Washington was better than I thought they would be, props to them.

Some here act like Ewers stole their girl the way they talk about him. One even stated he would be or is a bust. Really?

Ewers had a really good game. He had his first 300+ yard game, had a better completion rate then the Wash QB, better yards per catch, 1 TD & no INTs yet had the lower QB rating? Common core math? 

We missed Bijon, RoJo & Overshown. I admit to being pissed they sat out while watching them on the sideline. I see their point on why they did but at the same time, their teammates needed them.

As many have mentioned, Brooks should have touched the ball more.

Worthy dropped 2 passes that would have probably been TDs. Right in his hands and just dropped the ball. To his credit he gets open thus the reason he receives so many targets but he has to catch the ball. He also doesn't adjust as well as others. There was one long ball where Ewers underthrew it some but Worthy didn't adjust. Had he did, it may have been a catch or even a PI.

Ford had 10 total tackles yet it seemed he wasn't in the plays much. Did Overshown not playing expose a weakness of his? He isn't ready for the pros but best of luck to him if he goes. At least he played in the game.

I saw a lot of freshmen for Texas play some good ball in that game. I truly believe Sark has the team heading in the right direction. Be that said, I'm an optimist so I always try to look on the bright side of things.

1st time I’ve opened up this thread… I have no idea what’s been written - since I made the road trip and attended the game.   Here are a few observations from the not-so cheep seats in the rafters… most surprisingly sun-shine oriented after a loss.  

> our defense plays really hard and really fast; and hits hard.  Coach K has completely won this critic over.

> I was very encouraged by Ewers play. Watching his arm strength and tight spiral from the upper deck helps me understand Sark’s complete refusal to unseat him.   The tools are there for greatness.

> Washington is a legit top 10 team to start 2023.  Maybe upper half of top 10.

> Worthy’s speed is jaw dropping, but somebody needs to teach him how to adjust to a ball that doesn’t hit him in stride.  

> for Texas to continue the upward climb - here’s 3 areas of necessary improvement for 2023:

1.  Better QB play.   Alamo Bowl was encouraging. 

2. Pass rush from DL. 

3. WR play.   

I actually think both Texas and Washington will be very good next year.   

11 hours ago, TXFF said:

He has "alligator arms" even when he's not in a situation to get lit up. Just doesn't seem to put in any extra effort to get to the ball. 

Watched Evan Stewart in a recent game (before the bowl season obviously), and he was impressive. He did whatever was necessary to get his body in position to try to make a catch on a less than perfect throw. Day and night from what I see from XW. It's clear why Sark has worked so hard to bring in more top notch receivers.

His problem is trying to basket catch everything with his forearms and body.  He does not try to catch the point with his hands.  He needs to work with catching tennis balls and learn soft hands.  

12 minutes ago, MBHORNSFAN said:

We suck until we don't 

And now add

We excuse until we don't 

I think we have people who just enjoy saying that. It must be a tough guy thing, I don't know.

Two of our losses were to teams in the top 5, one playing for a national championship and the other just finished running K-State out of the Superdome.

These aren't excuses, these are facts.

I don't think I've heard a single excuse on this board, just discussion of what we see happening.