Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dr Pepper - Fansville

tejasrulz

I didn't know this until the other day when a buddy told me but the sheriff in these commercials is Brian Bosworth, of ou sux fame.

A guy I know who played for Texas in the 80s told me that the offensive linemen for Texas hated playing him because he was that good. He was a prick but a heck of a player in his day.

1 minute ago, tejasrulz said:

I didn't know this until the other day when a buddy told me but the sheriff in these commercials is Brian Bosworth, of ou sux fame.

A guy I know who played for Texas in the 80s told me that the offensive linemen for Texas hated playing him because he was that good. He was a prick but a heck of a player in his day.

Yes, it is Boz. And Boz was good until he met Alonzo Highsmith in the Orange Bowl. Highsmith showed him what's up. Boz was never the same after that.

6 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Yes, it is Boz. And Boz was good until he met Alonzo Highsmith in the Orange Bowl. Highsmith showed him what's up. Boz was never the same after that.

I had a friend back then who was friends with one of the guys who refereed that game. According to him, when they came out to midfield to do the coin toss, the two sides went to shake hands. Except when it came to Boz and Highsmith. Boz extended his hand and Highsmith gave him a deep and loud F-You! Imma F you up!

And then he did. lol

On 12/24/2022 at 2:18 PM, tejasrulz said:

Honestly, he might be the best college LB I’ve ever seen.   

21 hours ago, Baron said:

I hated Bosworth when he played for zero u, but he seems to have redeemed himself in recent years. Still, I will review the Dr. Pepper commercials in a different eye after this tidbit of info.

I saw Boz in a movie years ago… he was in a motorcycle gang or some such thing… he’s not a bad actor.

Sports spectating is more fun when you have villains… you know real sports hate.  The Olympics, for example, were better when the Soviet Union was in tact.

In this regard, I appreciate the Boz and aggy.  

You know… speaking of college linebackers…. bringing it back to the Horns…. I was thinking about this the other day.  LB hasn’t been the most stellar position at Texas during my fandom - going back to the 70s.   Sure there have been some really good ones, but not comparable to many of the other positions.

That said… I put D. Johnson as the best Texas linebacker I’ve ever seen.   And…. I’m going to say this and then take cover… I honestly think Ford sits at #2.  B. Hager was very good… I maybe could be talked into him as second on my list.   But I rank Ford slightly ahead.  Am I forgetting anyone?  

Tommy Nobis was the only LB selected in NFL draft as #1 draft pick. That speaks volumes.

Before him there was Johnny Treadwell. In 1962 with Arkansas leading 3-0 late in 4th quarter. Arkansas is at Texas 1 and about to ice the game. Treadwell gathered his defensive teammates in their end zone and told the group: “All right, we’ve got them right where we want them. They have run out of room. … They’ve got to come right at us.” Treadwell and Pat Culpepper knocked ball from Arkansas RB. Texas drove the field to win game 7- 3, scoring with 40 seconds left.

Treadwell was a consensus All-American in 1962, a two-time academic All-American and, in his last game at UT, was named the outstanding player of the 1963 Cotton Bowl.

Another great Texas LB was Bill Hamilton. On a side note, Dr. Hamilton operated on both of my knees. Rodeo can be tough on your body. 😉

1 hour ago, 83Dee said:

You know… speaking of college linebackers…. bringing it back to the Horns…. I was thinking about this the other day.  LB hasn’t been the most stellar position at Texas during my fandom - going back to the 70s.   Sure there have been some really good ones, but not comparable to many of the other positions.

That said… I put D. Johnson as the best Texas linebacker I’ve ever seen.   And…. I’m going to say this and then take cover… I honestly think Ford sits at #2.  B. Hager was very good… I maybe could be talked into him as second on my list.   But I rank Ford slightly ahead.  Am I forgetting anyone?  

Nobis is your top LB from Texas. Johnson is easily #2. Ford is going to be down the list some. Hager would be in top 15.

26 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Nobis is your top LB from Texas. Johnson is easily #2. Ford is going to be down the list some. Hager would be in top 15.

Nobis is before my time.  I never saw him play.   I understand he was greatness!   Give me a #3 candidate or two of yours.  

1 hour ago, 83Dee said:

Nobis is before my time.  I never saw him play.   I understand he was greatness!   Give me a #3 candidate or two of yours.  

It would be difficult to describe his play. He was relentless and as tough of a football player as I've ever seen. He never let up. Teams feared him.

A couple of candidates for #3

Robin Seindlen (77-80)

Kiki DeAyala (79-82)

Ty Allert (82-85)

Bill Hamilton (73-76)

10 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

It would be difficult to describe his play. He was relentless and as tough of a football player as I've ever seen. He never let up. Teams feared him.

Robin Seindlen (77-80)

Kiki DeAyala (79-82)

Ty Allert (82-85)

Bill Hamilton (73-76)

I do remember DeAyala and Allert.  Greatness!  

10 minutes ago, DBut82 said:

I'ma say this: I understand the aura and legend of Nobis. And no doubt he was great. But I promise he wasn't the freak athlete DJ was. And when you consider the era Nobis  played, you really can't compare. DJ is the greatest LB to ever play at Texas. And it's not even close...

the one thing that Nobis and DJ had in common is that they both played for crappy teams in the NFL. I saw Nobis play when I was a kid and he was THE MAN playing with boys, DJ probably was the best LB sideline to sideline in UT history...

for my money its Sendlein >Jeff Leiding and Hager at MLB with Allert right behind

I look at Kiki DeAyala as more of an OLB, but he was in a lot of backfields and was all over the place, he was a freak before the term was invented, just had a nose for the football

12 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Robin Seindlen (77-80)

Kiki DeAyala (79-82)

Ty Allert (82-85)

Bill Hamilton (73-76)

Kiki DeAyala belongs at No. 3. He was a tackling machine.

My dad saw all of those guys, except Johnson. He died in 2004, with a very sharp mind.  He knew football.

He was named one of the Eleven Iron Men in high school, and played in college, before leaving for WWII.

He always said Nobis was the best. Loved Bobby Layne, and fully supported replacing Bradley with Street.   (Believe it was Bradley)

He laughed at hype with no substance.

4 hours ago, DBut82 said:

I'ma say this: I understand the aura and legend of Nobis. And no doubt he was great. But I promise he wasn't the freak athlete DJ was. And when you consider the era Nobis  played, you really can't compare. DJ is the greatest LB to ever play at Texas. And it's not even close...

Good point, DBut82. Nobis did what he did without the benefit of having Johnson's size.

An even greater accomplishment, IMO.

But being bigger doesn't really mean squat now does it? If that were so, then "Big" would have won everything everywhere, ever. He was 6'7, 360 lbs. Good lineman for us, but not even best ever despite the size.

I'd say it is a little arrogant of the newest generation to think football didn't start being played until 15 years ago. People today may eat more ding dongs and get heavier as a result or whatever, but that doesn't help them play better football. Jim Brown would set the same record today that he did years ago.

Why?

Because he was tough. Nobis was tough. Lily was tough. They played hurt. They dished out punishment. Today, players skip games due to a hamstring twinges and the slightest of things, we're told "out of precaution." Players skip bowls because they fear getting hurt. Some even skipped half of this season.

My God, we used to have a college all-star team play the super bowl winner at the beginning of each season. Ohhh, we can't do that anymore. So and so might get hurt.

So unless you enjoy a feminine touch to your football style, I don't think you can say its better today than it once was. We watch it despite the BS. 

It's always tricky when you compare players from different eras. I am with you on the fact that Nobis was before my time and is more legend that a player I can actually say I've watched. Having said that DJ played in an era where he could take advantage of better training, nutrition, etc. During Nobis' time some guys were performing at a high level while chugging a couple of tall boys and smoking a pack of cigarettes before the game.

DBut...I consider you one of the best posters  on here...but I cannot disagree more. I will grant that DJ was awesome...and a better athlete than Nobis...but nobody....nobody had a better motor than Nobis, not even Singletery. Nobis was also strong beyond belief.

Not for nothing was he the nber one draft pick.