Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Early Christmas Present from Mods

TFloss32

Hmm.  I know I am not in the majority here but why would he get the boot just because he doesnt conform to the majority opinion?  Doesnt seem right, forums should be able to express your opinion no matter how unpopular.  Dont we have enough censoring in the social media as it is?  Yea I had him blocked and I never agreed with him but he should be able to say what he wants regarding the program.  Treading a dangerous path here.

I was booted off BON for simply stating Texas should start Foreman over J Gray.  This was before Foreman was a stud.  I was flamed to no end and some mod banned me for that.  I shit you not.  I do take solace knowing I was right, look how it turned out but it doesnt seem right.

I wish i had the email sent said something like "you are now banned enjoy".  NFG but sometimes forums seem to be like echo chambers rather than debates and ideas

39 minutes ago, DMAC said:

Hmm.  I know I am not in the majority here but why would he get the boot just because he doesnt conform to the majority opinion?  Doesnt seem right, forums should be able to express your opinion no matter how unpopular.  Dont we have enough censoring in the social media as it is?  Yea I had him blocked and I never agreed with him but he should be able to say what he wants regarding the program.  Treading a dangerous path here.

I was booted off BON for simply stating Texas should start Foreman over J Gray.  This was before Foreman was a stud.  I was flamed to no end and some mod banned me for that.  I shit you not.  I do take solace knowing I was right, look how it turned out but it doesnt seem right.

I wish i had the email sent said something like "you are now banned enjoy".  NFG but sometimes forums seem to be like echo chambers rather than debates and ideas

I think healthy debate here is a good thing and I don't think anyone has an issue with an opposing view point.

With JD, he was not bringing about healthy debate. Just continually posting the some non-sense over and over and then refusing to actually discuss the material he brought to the board when someone called him out on it. 

I don't think it was ever anything egregious but time after time after time of the same stuff was enough to get him banned.

26 minutes ago, BWilk55 said:

I think healthy debate here is a good thing and I don't think anyone has an issue with an opposing view point.

With JD, he was not bringing about healthy debate. Just continually posting the some non-sense over and over and then refusing to actually discuss the material he brought to the board when someone called him out on it. 

I don't think it was ever anything egregious but time after time after time of the same stuff was enough to get him banned.

I dont disagree regarding his nonsense im only saying each person here should make that decision with an ignore list option rather than a top down ban.  I always thought he was a troll but i just ignored him.  I dont think he should have been banned for it though.  People like him will usually leave on their own if people just ignore them.

Whats that old saying "I do not agree with you but I will defend your right to say it"

I guess its the "let the marketplace determine its viability rather than the government" in me.  But maybe he did other things im not aware of since I all i ever saw was "You have chosen to ignore this user" 😉

• Administrators
1 hour ago, DMAC said:

At a certain point, there becomes enough evidence to determine what's happening isn't an attempt at logical debate or new ideas.

3 hours ago, DMAC said:

I dont disagree regarding his nonsense im only saying each person here should make that decision with an ignore list option rather than a top down ban.  I always thought he was a troll but i just ignored him.  I dont think he should have been banned for it though.  People like him will usually leave on their own if people just ignore them.

Whats that old saying "I do not agree with you but I will defend your right to say it"

I guess its the "let the marketplace determine its viability rather than the government" in me.  But maybe he did other things im not aware of since I all i ever saw was "You have chosen to ignore this user" 😉

As a business owner, you have to weigh the pros and cons. You lose traffic when you have an oddball deliberately trying to drag the place down. We had at least one poster leave the forum over his BS. Other posters were saying they were visiting less.

The traffic at this particular message board is how they make money. The more traffic you have, the more advertisers value your product. We don't pay member fees here, so traffic is a big deal to the existence of HS.

JD was banned at Surely. It requires a complete and utter imbecile to be banned from the Wild Wild West of message boards.

28 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

As a business owner, you have to weigh the pros and cons. You lose traffic when you have an oddball deliberately trying to drag the place down. We had at least one poster leave the forum over his BS. Other posters were saying they were visiting less.

The traffic at this particular message board is how they make money. The more traffic you have, the more advertisers value your product. We don't pay member fees here, so traffic is a big deal to the existence of HS.

JD was banned at Surely. It requires a complete and utter imbecile to be banned from the Wild Wild West of message boards.

I am a business owner so I am well aware of consequences.  I am also online but I am in B2B solutions not a public forum of people who post opinions for the whole world to see.  Bottom line this about free speech and whether institutions like twitter or facebook or any public forum like this one are considered "Bulletin boards" where they are not liable to civil discourse as they are not publishers.  The key here is when you start to censor or ban opinions on such a forum then you are considered a publisher and therefore you are liable to civil discourse and violations of free speech.

This topic isnt new and been bashed around for years regarding big tech.  I just find it hypocritical for people to cry about censorship but applaud it when it suits them.  How is this any different when someone gets banned from Twitter for saying something politically incorrect.  No I dont want to get into politics but in the end my justification for saying all this is just because people get butthurt by someone elses comments whos fault is that?  Theirs?  You cant control them but can ignore them.  I know I am in minority here but that doesnt change what I think is right.

Do I know everything that has transpired here.  Not at all.  I cant remember the last JD post I actually read.  Just be consistent in your values.  I find it distasteful no matter how noble the cause may be.

I dont want to get into this with any of you.  I am not looking for a fight I just felt compelled to point that a ban was unnecessary if we all just ignored him. 

39 minutes ago, DMAC said:

I am a business owner so I am well aware of consequences.  I am also online but I am in B2B solutions not a public forum of people who post opinions for the whole world to see.  Bottom line this about free speech and whether institutions like twitter or facebook or any public forum like this one are considered "Bulletin boards" where they are not liable to civil discourse as they are not publishers.  The key here is when you start to censor or ban opinions on such a forum then you are considered a publisher and therefore you are liable to civil discourse and violations of free speech.

This topic isnt new and been bashed around for years regarding big tech.  I just find it hypocritical for people to cry about censorship but applaud it when it suits them.  How is this any different when someone gets banned from Twitter for saying something politically incorrect.  No I dont want to get into politics but in the end my justification for saying all this is just because people get butthurt by someone elses comments whos fault is that?  Theirs?  You cant control them but can ignore them.  I know I am in minority here but that doesnt change what I think is right.

Do I know everything that has transpired here.  Not at all.  I cant remember the last JD post I actually read.  Just be consistent in your values.  I find it distasteful no matter how noble the cause may be.

I dont want to get into this with any of you.  I am not looking for a fight I just felt compelled to point that a ban was unnecessary if we all just ignored him. 

He wasn't banned for his opinions. He was banned for his behavior.

25 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

He wasn't banned for his opinions. He was banned for his behavior.

K, an example?

Whether its an opinion or behavior they are both expressed in written form which can be easily ignored via the "ignore user" list.  Opinion is a stance how you convey that opinion is behavior.  But who cares if he rants?  Why does it bother people just ignore the guy.