Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

*****GAME THREAD: #24 Texas @ #13 Kansas State*****


Recommended Posts

51 minutes ago, java said:

I am asking y’all to correct me if I am wrong, please.  I thought zone was also used to protect an inexperienced or vulnerable defensive backfield. 
 

To my knowledge, the only one who may be healthy back there is Watts. If Jameson was really healthy, I think he would be still back with Worthy returning punts.  The others are young or injured. 

You are correct it is used to"hide" your weak link, but I watched the defense closely in the second half, and even I could tell when they were in a zone and when they were in man to man coverage, so if I can see it then you aren't disguising your coverage well at all. We are dropping 6-8 men in coverage and guys were still open, our base 3-4 defense aint cutting it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Hiwood said:

You are correct it is used to"hide" your weak link, but I watched the defense closely in the second half, and even I could tell when they were in a zone and when they were in man to man coverage, so if I can see it then you aren't disguising your coverage well at all. We are dropping 6-8 men in coverage and guys were still open, our base 3-4 defense aint cutting it

I could be wrong but on that one TD pass to #85, I believe that was a busted coverage. It appeared our one DB let him go thinking he had help behind. One of those guys had to be wrong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, tejasrulz said:

I could be wrong but on that one TD pass to #85, I believe that was a busted coverage. It appeared our one DB let him go thinking he had help behind. One of those guys had to be wrong.

You are exactly right, it was blown coverage....in zone coverage you pick the guy up when comes into your zone, and you stick with him, its the responsibility of the safety to come over the top and play the ball or to fill in the spot the corner left...there is too much of receivers being wide open and catches not being contested and THEN everyone swarms to make the tackle, but by then the damage has been done and its either a first down or worse

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Hiwood said:

You are exactly right, it was blown coverage....in zone coverage you pick the guy up when comes into your zone, and you stick with him, its the responsibility of the safety to come over the top and play the ball or to fill in the spot the corner left...there is too much of receivers being wide open and catches not being contested and THEN everyone swarms to make the tackle, but by then the damage has been done and its either a first down or worse

Would you please certify this post and send it to me so I can show my wife I was right about something? 😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Hiwood said:

You are exactly right, it was blown coverage....in zone coverage you pick the guy up when comes into your zone, and you stick with him, its the responsibility of the safety to come over the top and play the ball or to fill in the spot the corner left...there is too much of receivers being wide open and catches not being contested and THEN everyone swarms to make the tackle, but by then the damage has been done and its either a first down or worse

Zone coverages also require a lot more communication as the DBs are passing receivers off as they move in and lot of designated areas. We used a simple “in, in, in” call to alert safeties a receiver was running from the outside in. It takes communication between bothering groups and can be difficult for younger players. That said, it’s up to the coaches to drill that with all players and veterans to ensure it is done on every play. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, tejasrulz said:

I just read the game thread since I didn't check it last night during the game. Some of y'all really need to not post while drinking or drunk. It also appears someone had a family member join the board or he created a sock.

As far as the second half woes:

1st drive Worthy fumbles after picking up a 1st down after a false start penalty.

2nd drive we were driving down the field (9 play drive) then another false start gave us a 1st & 15 on the K-St side of the field. Punt

3rd drive after an inc, we had another false start to give us 2nd & 15 on the K-St side of the field. After a 13 yard run by Bijan he loses yards on 3rd & 2. 3 & out, punt

4th drive was mostly running plays w/only 2 passing plays (Ewers was 1-2). Ewers missed Bijan in the endzone but just as he threw it, he got hit hard by K-St. A TD would have been sweet but the FG puts us up by 10

5th drive was 2 runs by Bijan to bring up 3rd & 4 but Bijan losses 5 on the play. 3 & out, punt

6th drive 1 play to run out clock

On the 3rd & 5th drive, we had 3rd and short where if Sark had called a pass play and missed, the majority of the board would be screaming "Run the ball!" Dance with who brung you!" " We have the best RB duo in the nation!" Hindsight is always 20/20. How is it the coaches' fault with a false start penalty, especially by a WR?

We won on the road, we're bowl eligible and we still have a shot at the Big XII title. Good night overall.

 

Good summary to show how penalties and turnovers are costly against good opponents. It's worth noting that on the 5th drive's 3rd down play there was a totally blown block that resulted in BR's 5 yard loss. If that block is made he most likely gets the first down and the game is essentially over. That's not on the coaches, it's on the player who missed the block.

Also, late in the game with a lead it's important to run clock. Sark knew it and KSU knew it which is why they stacked the box and Sark expected his guys to make blocks. At the end of the day everyone on the field needs to execute.

A win on the road against a highly ranked team is always good. The team is clearly continuing to improve which is all I can ask. We're probably a year or two away from contending for a Natty, but we certainly seem to be trending in that direction from what I can see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, NEOkHorn said:

Zone coverages also require a lot more communication as the DBs are passing receivers off as they move in and lot of designated areas. We used a simple “in, in, in” call to alert safeties a receiver was running from the outside in. It takes communication between bothering groups and can be difficult for younger players. That said, it’s up to the coaches to drill that with all players and veterans to ensure it is done on every play. 

With the secondary playing as bad as they have, I wonder if they have tried to get some help from Gary Patterson.  Isn't that pretty much his specialty on defense and hasn't he been able to field some great secondaries with non-blue chip type players?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Utjb1 said:

Quinn ewers passing completion percentage the past two games is 46% … my main reason pointing that out is that y’all were too hard on Hudson Card during his time as a UT Quarterback because he was better than 46% passing completion percentage but got crucified 

Poooooooorrrrrrrr agggggyyyyyyyy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

What is the truth? That Hudson Card should be starting over Ewers?

Are you smoking bat guano?

 

 No are you.  the post was on Ewers completeion % of 48% If thats wrong then I am wrong

I have never said Card over Ewers. Did say however the way Ewers was playing ve TT achange at QBshould have happened.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Eastexhorn said:

 No are you.  the post was on Ewers completeion % of 48% If thats wrong then I am wrong

I have never said Card over Ewers. Did say however the way Ewers was playing ve TT achange at QBshould have happened.

"As Jack said, they cannot handle the truth"

Exactly what truth is that?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

"As Jack said, they cannot handle the truth"

Exactly what truth is that?

If I may… I believe it is that some were overly critical of Card.  Which is probably true.

Ewers looks much better that he did in Lubbock… but still misses badly on the long ball.  Is the smashed finger theory true?   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

What is the truth? That Hudson Card should be starting over Ewers?

Are you smoking bat guano?

 

They state the same thing over and over. As I stated before, wash, rinse, repeat. It's like hearing Miriah Carey's "All I Want for Christmas" 24 x7!

Stress Wtf GIF

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/6/2022 at 12:23 AM, Utjb1 said:

Quinn ewers passing completion percentage the past two games is 46% … my main reason pointing that out is that y’all were too hard on Hudson Card during his time as a UT Quarterback because he was better than 46% passing completion percentage but got crucified 

As I've said before, stats alone are meaningless. My criticism with Card is that he holds the ball to long. He doesn't read the coverage but waits for a receiver to get open. He has gotten better but is still a bit slow. He could be great next year. Ewers on the other hand, reads the coverage and throws the ball where the receiver should be open. If the receiver doesn't make the same read on the defense, he could run a different route and bad throw or interception.

So here is a stat that JD doesn't consider:

Card 2-2 (this year), 3-3 career

Ewers 4-1 

Who do you want to be the QB of your team?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

Our Affiliation

USATDP_Logo.png

Quick Links

×
×
  • Create New...