Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

UT Football Sense of Entitlement

Dillohorn1

The sense of entitlement still lingers on this program. The past several coaches have been unable to erase it and win even with top recruiting ratings. The talent to win has been there for the most part and some of the coaches have lost their jobs due to the sense of entitlement. The sense reveals itself in games where UT comes out and sleep walks through a large portion of the first half. The players don't realize they are in trouble until they look at the scoreboard or recognize that subpar teams are making them look plain silly. Look back and think of how many games the Horns have lost simply because the didn't take it seriously until it was too late. The "We Are Texas" attitude doesn't win games. Can any coach succeed here unless the sense is dropped?

13 minutes ago, Dillohorn1 said:

The sense of entitlement still lingers on this program. The past several coaches have been unable to erase it and win even with top recruiting ratings. The talent to win has been there for the most part and some of the coaches have lost their jobs due to the sense of entitlement. The sense reveals itself in games where UT comes out and sleep walks through a large portion of the first half. The players don't realize they are in trouble until they look at the scoreboard or recognize that subpar teams are making them look plain silly. Look back and think of how many games the Horns have lost simply because the didn't take it seriously until it was too late. The "We Are Texas" attitude doesn't win games. Can any coach succeed here unless the sense is dropped?

Think of how many we were also winning and didn’t finish bc the players wanted to coast after taking a lead. 

Screenshot_20220924_225549.jpg

58 minutes ago, Dillohorn1 said:

Just a couple observations/thought.

The sense reveals itself in games where UT comes out and sleep walks through a large portion of the first half.

Texas didn't sleep walk through the first half against Tech. In fact, we had a really good first half. 

Look back and think of how many games the Horns have lost simply because the didn't take it seriously until it was too late.

It seems that just the opposite happens under Sark. We lose games in the second half. 

4 hours ago, Dillohorn1 said:

I don’t understand how you got that out of the game yesterday.  The team didn’t fold.  The HC did in the 3rd quarter.  

if I were a reporter my question after the game would’ve been….”When are you gonna learn you can’t squat on a 14 point lead, and while your defense is tired and getting gashed?”.  

Everything about Sark is right.  He can be the man at Texas.  His problem is glaring, but he can’t seem to see it.

I can only hope this is the wake up call of wake up calls.  This Texas team could easily be 4-0 right now instead of 2-2.  Do they man up and make something of this season still? Or do they play the same way next week and have the game decided in the last minutes of the 4th quarter?  Enquiring minds want to know. 

This team folded like a cheap tent.

When we stopped them in the first half on 4th down and they turn around and stop us on 4th down in the pathetic excuse of a “wildcat” with zero push up front. I absolutely knew we would not win the game. 

Call it entitled or whatever but there is zero pride with this group currently. From Sark down they have to HATE, HATE, HATE losing against anyone at anything. My favorite Coach quote ever was Bobby Knight “show me a good loser and I will show you a loser”.  Until we get to that point we will continue to float along. 

11 minutes ago, RickyFlair said:

there is zero pride with this group currently. From Sark down they have to HATE, HATE, HATE losing against anyone at anything. 

This. Although, I'd argue that there are alot of young guys that are earning their spots, and maybe that's a good sign for the near future (don't worry, my koolaid drinking days are over, so I won't believe it until I see it).

Hoping the roster turnover helps us be rid of this problem. Too many of our upperclassmen have been all talk, no results for years. At some point the players need to want it more than the guy across the field from them. 

We’re missing our top QB and WR with a defense on year 2 of a rebuild. Without a consistent running game and an ability to soak the clock opposing teams will always have a chance to climb back into game.

We had THREE 3 and outs in the fourth quarter. Put the blame wherever you want, but the fact is the young OL can’t move people when we need them to. Defenses can’t stay on the field for whole quarters and maintain their level of play.

We aren’t good enough yet to win bringing our B game. The team fought back to tie the game, and we’re just not going to get lucky bounces or calls right now.

This doesn’t have anything to do with entitlement. The past 12 years don’t matter, only the last 2 matter. Sometimes wins and losses don’t reflect improvement, but we’ve seen steady improvement across the board.

If there’s entitlement it’s on the part of the fans who think success happens overnight. It doesn’t, and just because Kansas or Baylor gets lucky with coaches once in a 100 years doesn’t mean those exceptions make them the new rules. 

I realize it’s over reaction Sunday, but some folks need to chill out. It’s just not reasonable to expect perfection yet.

How can you have entitlement when over half of team are new .

TT preformed pretty well with a first year coach.

Belive K. St. coach is fairly new and OU is a first year coach.

Prefection NO. more wins yes.

Jones Sweat, Coburn, Cook ,Jaimson are having thier best years. at least according to coaches

Enough of this rant need wins.

3 hours ago, Drb522 said:

I don’t understand how you got that out of the game yesterday.  The team didn’t fold.  The HC did in the 3rd quarter.  

if I were a reporter my question after the game would’ve been….”When are you gonna learn you can’t squat on a 14 point lead, and while your defense is tired and getting gashed?”.  

Everything about Sark is right.  He can be the man at Texas.  His problem is glaring, but he can’t seem to see it.

I didn't say the team folded. I said they got off to their usual slow start that came back to bite them. This has become a habit with them because they think since they are "Texas" ,they will win. If you think that they didn't sleep walk again yesterday, well then I don't know what to say. 

44 minutes ago, Eastexhorn said:

How can you have entitlement when over half of team are new .

TT preformed pretty well with a first year coach.

Belive K. St. coach is fairly new and OU is a first year coach.

Prefection NO. more wins yes.

Jones Sweat, Coburn, Cook ,Jaimson are having thier best years. at least according to coaches

Enough of this rant need wins.

We have had this entitlement bug for decades now.

4 minutes ago, Dillohorn1 said:

I didn't say the team folded. I said they got off to their usual slow start that came back to bite them. This has become a habit with them because they think since they are "Texas" ,they will win. If you think that they didn't sleep walk again yesterday, well then I don't know what to say. 

Our 1st possesion was 3 plays for a TD. That is not a slow start.

6 hours ago, North Texas Golfer said:

Just a couple observations/thought.

The sense reveals itself in games where UT comes out and sleep walks through a large portion of the first half.

Texas didn't sleep walk through the first half against Tech. In fact, we had a really good first half. 

Look back and think of how many games the Horns have lost simply because the didn't take it seriously until it was too late.

It seems that just the opposite happens under Sark. We lose games in the second half. 

I joyfully disagree with you. You know I am always right.      😛

2 minutes ago, Dillohorn1 said:

You have to be kidding. Is that the only part of the early game that you watched? Did you watch any of the UT D ?

That's not what you said. Yeh, I saw the 20 play drive that set the tone for the day. I saw our D think they had held TT on 3rd down, only to realize they weren't punting and we were shocked. Will they be surprised next time someone does it? We got lucky that TT didn't have a gifted running QB like we will soon see. You haven't seen gashing yet.

4 hours ago, Eastexhorn said:

Sounds like another excuse coaches use, get my players, change culture etc.

How long did it take Joey M. to do all this.?

Maybe you're confused. Just because they won a game doesn't mean he has his culture changed.

If you were right, our culture would already be changed because we won a game.

8 hours ago, bctex1106 said:

Think of how many we were also winning and didn’t finish bc the players wanted to coast after taking a lead. 

Screenshot_20220924_225549.jpg

The sense of entitlement thing is from the past. Personally, I did not witness any of that during the Tech game and I suspect thats why you didn't try to give an example.

The players run the plays the coaches call. They do the things the coaches teach. I didn't see anybody coasting.

We're not meeting the late game surge from the opposing team. Thats because we're not making the appropriate late game defensive adjustments. 

I don't agree with the entitlement argument.  Entitlement would be not practicing hard, not putting in the work, eating junk food, skipping class and expecting to win.  If you can tell me that's happening then I would believe it else I don't buy it.

The problem with the Tech game was the offense was sub-par which caused the defense to be on the field way too long.

17 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

We're not meeting the late game surge from the opposing team. Thats because we're not making the appropriate late game defensive adjustments. 

And we can’t run the ball at will with time consuming drives at the end of the game. Until our oline starts to get some push, and we can run the ball up the middle, no lead will be safe.

51 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Maybe you're confused. Just because they won a game doesn't mean he has his culture changed.

If you were right, our culture would already be changed because we won a game.

How did winning agameget in conversation? Joey M. in his first year with playerswho at least, 21 could play for Texas. Beat Sark in his second year with 50% + his players

Joey just took what he had and coached to be better. What most HS coaches have to do.

And if Horns do not find the Bama game defense there will be a lot more threads about losing.

PS My wife says I stay confused?

PS my wife says I stay con