Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

View from the Cheap Seats-Tortilla Bowl

echeese

On 9/25/2022 at 10:38 AM, Eastexhorn said:

Very good write up as usual. OU lost do not know about Aggie.

I am ready to change all gas andno brakes to.

All show and no go. Lose next Sat. and it last year for sure.

Just wait till culture is changedand coaches get thier players. Bull

Just beat by first year coach not long out of HS coaching.

I have seen several comments about getting beat by a HS coach. Joey McGuire is not chopped liver. He won 3 out of the 4 state championship games at Cedar Hill. He learned a lot from Matt Rhule. The guy can motivate and coach. Tech had no business winning that game but he had those guys believing they could. I think it comes down to culture more so than X/Os. There are a lot of smart coaches out there but who can get the most out of their players. On Saturday, McGuire did.

4 minutes ago, Eastexhorn said:

Abgree Joey can coach.Out coached all world play called trainedby Saban

HS coaches have to be able to coach. They get theplayers the school has and coach them up.

There is more transfers thanyears back.

Not directed at Sark, but their are some HS coaches in Texas that are better than some coaches in college. Coaching has changed over the years. You hear more about the relationship aspect more so now than you did 20 years ago. Coaches and athletes have changed. Coaches must have the ability to connect with players today.

You are so right about Texas HS coaches. A while back I said I would take a Texas HSer over  slightlyrated out of stater That did not go over well.

A lot of posters thought it was Texas pride, whitch I do have a lot of. But was realy because Texas has better HS coaches than most states.

Then there is the national recruiting HS's.

1 minute ago, Eastexhorn said:

You are so right about Texas HS coaches. A while back I said I would take a Texas HSer over  slightlyrated out of stater That did not go over well.

A lot of posters thought it was Texas pride, whitch I do have a lot of. But was realy because Texas has better HS coaches than most states.

I agree. Just because you win in HS does not mean it will transition to the next level. You must be able to recruit and connect with people. I have listened to Traylor, McGuire, PJ Fleck, and some others. They are all about relationships.

2 hours ago, swaha said:

I have seen several comments about getting beat by a HS coach. Joey McGuire is not chopped liver. He won 3 out of the 4 state championship games at Cedar Hill. He learned a lot from Matt Rhule. The guy can motivate and coach. Tech had no business winning that game but he had those guys believing they could. I think it comes down to culture more so than X/Os. There are a lot of smart coaches out there but who can get the most out of their players. On Saturday, McGuire did.

And McGuire hasn't coached HS football for 6 years. 

Excellent analysis. 

Time of possession failures. 

Offense - Off script play calling creativity failures. Wildcat failures. 4th and 2 decision failure. QB running/utilization failure. Brennen Thompson 10.2 speed/ Savion Red failure to use with Worthy out. Run Game failure in majority of attempts. 

Defense - Played up for Bama. Failure to get off the field. Missed 13 chances to get a stop. Non existent pass rush. No Guy. 2 sacks in 56 passes. Beat by a bad O-line. Beat by a QB that had struggled, made him a hero. Allowed receivers to sit down at the sticks and dink and dunk with 10 ft. cushions. Soft zone. Bending too much. 

On 9/26/2022 at 1:11 PM, Eastexhorn said:

Some people really dislike Card Last game throwing too hard now he is floating. Right now he is best QB Horns has or Sark would not play him.

No this not Johnny D.😀

As fans we tend to want to find one "boogy man" to blame, it can be multiple things.

JMHO but based on clear patterns that are starting to emerge, the biggest failure came from our coaches.    The offensive game plan went turtle in the 2nd half and we went away from our best plays.   Our Defense shut down the run and when we brought pressure (as sadly we cannot get pressure from our front 3 or 4 depending on alignment), their QB got flustered.    Worked so well we stopped doing it.

Why in the wide wide world of sports would we stop running BiJan's best plays.  Either a stretch run (to either side) where he can cut back and break defenders ankles or the counter sweep (where we pull an OL or 2 to lead the play outside) which is the play that went for 40 and a TD.    BiJan had 9 carries and was not used in the passing game in the 2nd half.   1 play, 40 yards, 8 plays 17 yards. . . WHY WHY WHY constantly run BiJan up the middle.

So is the offense to blame?   Yes

Is the defense to blame?   Yes

Was Card perfect?   Of course not, there is a reason he is QB2.     But you want to bitch about Card?, then don't ignore the play calls he's handed.   Don't ignore that without him going off script, we don't over come 2nd and 19, he doesn't complete 3rd and 9 to set up our sole TD in the 2nd half.

And did you see him lead the drive for the game tying FG?    Yeah, pretty damn good.

Spare me the "X was out" excuse.     NEXT.    Sark can't go bombs away???    OK, you have great RBs in the passing game, you have a 5 star, emerging TE,  J Whitt, 4 catches (3 for 1st downs).   Would love to see more of Cain.    You have options.    USE THEM.

And before this rant is over, if you have not seen this, watch.   A HS coach was gloating and talking shit about Sark/TEXAS.   Hope we never return to Lubbock (we've had some ugly losses in that shit hole)  and I hope Sark hangs another 70 on Mr HS Coach of the Year when we play them for the last time in Austin.

On 9/26/2022 at 7:59 PM, Eastexhorn said:

I know that some think Texas HS kids are pretty well developed coming out of HS (at least the big time programs) and have maxed out their potential.

Granted a generalization and everyone must be judged on their own.