Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

View from the Cheap Seats-Tortilla Bowl

echeese

View from the Cheap Seats-Texas Tech 

DeJa'Vu all over again.    

Well shades of 2021 all over again.   Full disclosure, like this loss, this write up will be stark and not fun.    We saw the same TEXAS team with the same really weak 2nd half offense blow a double-digit lead after the half.   Penalties at the worst of times, missed tackles, dropped passes and you can forget TEXAS getting a penalty call from the BigXII refs, it’s just not going to happen this year or next.     TEXAS was outscored 23 to 10 in the 2nd half plus one overtime period.   Granted, this is not all on the offense as the defense reverted back 2021 form as well,  featuring missed tackles blown assignments, not getting off the field/making a play on 3rd/4th down  and penalties at the worst possible times too.   Defense would force two fumbles, one near the goal line where instead of falling on it, the DB tries to pick it up and run.    Net resutl, TT OL jumps on the ball and they retain possession.   Other time we strip Smith and he falls on it.  Team loss not question but with a 10 point lead, with 2 of the best running backs in the nation, why do does Sark constantly run up the middle in the 2nd half?     Same turtle play calling as 2021.     

Jerry MaGuire would become only the 2nd Texas Tech coach in their history to win their 1st game against TEXAS.    The other?    David McWilliams.   Here’s another embarrassing stat, in their entire time in the BigXII, TT has only come from behind down 10 at half twice.    Yep, you guessed it (if you didn’t see it) both against TEXAS.

The pressure of the game clearly got to Sark, late in the 4th with a chance to drive for the win, Sark goes ballistic on the sideline on a 3rd down call.    Confusion on the play but good lord, don’t let your team see you go nuts, call time out (which he eventually had to do anyway), re-group and run the right play.   Zero excuses as you sent a clear message to the team.   Make no mistake Jerry McGuire out coached you Sark just like DeRuyter was the better DC on the day.   In his 1st tortilla bowl (and likely his last), McGuire played to win, going for it on 4th down 8 times in the game.   Bad news, he made 6 of them, frequently relying on TEXAS missed tackles and the one great stop at the goal line, dug TEXAS into an offensive hole.   

Choke.   You want one word to describe the game, choke.   We were outplayed, we were out adjusted, and we were outcoached by a team that likely finishes in the middle of the BigXII pack this year at best.    All you people squawking about a visit to Dallas in December?     This isn’t even the best BigXII team we’ll have to face.   

When Rod Gilmore (the color man) was calling the plays by formation, when he had spotted our tendencies, we realized this game was going to be a challenge.   

And on the topic of adjustments/scheme after the 1st 2 offensive series by Tech, it seemed the PK/Gary brain trust found that TT’s QB, Dennis Smith, does not respond well to pressure.     When they applied it, it worked but they kept reverting back to rush 3 or 4 and drop 7 or 8, which Smith picked apart.  Wonder if anyone else on TEXAS’ schedule is going to scout this game? 

Tech would finish running 100 plays, thanks in part of 6 successful 4th down conversions.    TEXAS would run 60.     In the 2nd half, Texas would have 6 drives.  On their 1st drive of the 2nd half, Sark went for it 4th and 2.   No problem going for it, been doing that all year.    Sark calls Wildcat, stop me if you have heard this before, runs RoJo right up the middle.    Tech was sitting on it.   In a year and a half, we’re not sure RoJo has ever thrown the ball from wildcat or done anything but run right up the middle.     Don’t make me go watch this game again but I think Wildcat (with the same play called each time) was stuffed the last 4 or 5 times it’s been run. 

On TEXAS’ 2nd drive of the 2nd half, we thought we saw a BiJan Heisman moment, he ran a counter sweep right, which frankly is one of his and TEXAS best plays, for 40 yards and a TD.    Highlight moment.    Pretty sure that was the last stretch or sweep play Sark would call.   De Javu, same thing we saw last year.   We stop running our best plays in the 2nd half for some reason.    

Give Tech credit, their D is coached by Tim DeRuyter who is an excellent defensive coordinator.   No way to spin it, he owned Sark and the TEXAS offense in the 2nd half.    6 TEXAS drives in the 2nd half, 1 lost 4th down on downs, 3 more 3 and out punts and one excellent TD drive where candidly, credit to Card who improvised on two plays to overcome a holding call and a great 14 yard completion to Cain off a scramble on 3rd and 6.   Then capped off by BiJan running what might be BiJan’s best play, the counter sweep for 40 and TEXAS sole TD of the 2nd half. 

And despite all that, TEXAS pulled off an amazing drive at the end of the game to put Bert Auburn in a position to kick a 47 yard field goal.    Which the wild haired freshman kicker promptly converted with no time on the clock.    Was it time to rip Tech’s heart out?    Nope, 1st play of OT, running right up the middle again, BiJan loses the very rare for him fumble.    There was no joy in Austin-ville, the mighty Horns had struck out. 

Want some good news?    It is likely that TEXAS never has to travel to Lubbock again.   We have had some ugly losses in Lubbock, this isn’t 2008 ugly but it’s in the bottom 5. 

Stats that matter 

6        Texas Tech converted 6 4th down attempts, that will make for a long day 

100   Total plays Texas Tech ran.   100 

8-17    Taking out the 40 yard 3rd quarter TD run, this is what BiJan accounted for yardage wise in the 2nd half.    No         receptions 

2.8    TEXAS points per drive, 12 drives 34 points.    Not very good 

37     TEXAS gave up almost twice the points given up in their previous most allowed.    

3-9    TEXAS on 3rd down.  Though they were 1-2 on 4th down.  This is not good.  This team will win by running the ball and sustaining drives.    Same problem seen during last years, worst in 50 years 6 game losing streak 

2   TEXAS’ trips to the red zone resulting in a TD and a FG, not good. 

Offensive player of the Game: 

Hudson Card played very well.    The one big mistake he made was on the 4th quarter/3rd down and 3 pass to Whittington, he had Gunner Helm running wide open on a drag route for an easy 1st  down.   On TEXAS sole TD drive on the 2nd half, he played some of his best football, avoiding the pass rush to make a big completion then bailing TEXAS out of a 2nd and 19 hole with a 22 yard scrable setting up BiJan’s 40 yard TD run. 

Honorable Mention:   Jordan Whittington, 4 catches, 54 yards 3 1st downs, 

Ja’Tavion Sanders, 4 catches for 40 but this is about his blocking and he made key blocks on 3 of TEXAS TDs. 

Keileen Robinson  1 reception, stubling bumbling rumbling 33 yards to a TD.   Did not touch the ball again.    Why? 

Defensive player of the Game 

Jaylan Ford  12 tackles and a tackle for loss.     

Special teams player of the game 

Bert Auburn, hair and all, 47 yard FG to force OT.  2-2 on FGs in the game 

Conclusions 

Many wanted to give Sark a pass for 2021 as he opened with the first losing record ever recorded by a 1st year TEXAS coach.   This game showed some of the same problems rearing their ugly head.    Sark & TEXAS have to face another team that showed it could score on the road  in West Virginia, which also features a talented QB in JT Daniels.     Let’s hope he has nightmares of his last time to face TEXAS, he was Georgia’s QB in the Sugar Bowl.    The season is not over by any means but the floor is 8-4 and TEXAS already has half that many losses.   Card played more than well enough to win, losing Worthy did not help, hope he’s ready for WVU and OU.    We have to find a way to establish a consistent running game.  We’re better than WVU but then we are better than TT too. . . at least on paper.    While Card did not lose this game, we are ready to see Quinn Ewers back at the helm.

Time for a TX White label or maybe 10.   This was ugly. 

Fighting Mack Brown’s 

No way to sugar coat it, UNC got their butts beat by Norte Dame.   3-1 so Mack likely gets them to a bowl but they are now playing spoiler in the ACC 

Ranking the BigXII 

Many games still underway and KSU up 14-7 on OU as this is being typed so will edit this in the morning, time to do some drinking and pull for KSU and Arkansas to beat ACES. 

Lowlights 

this Texas team has shown it can score and move the ball on just about everyone unfortunately it has also shown this defense and its scheme cant stop anyone, we didnt stop Alabama when we needed to, UTSA scored at will in the first half, but Texas superior talent finally wore them down and now the Tech debacle...dont know if Kwiatkowski is still calling the shots but Patterson's influence only showed up for the Bama game, if you are dropping 7-8 guys in coverage and the opposing teams are still making catches that means there are a whole lot of defenders wandering around needlessly in space.

Its like we are in a prevent defense the whole game, and thats just preventing us from winning. If your DBs cant play on an island while you bring the house, then you have the wrong guys at DB. Our defensive scheme and philosophy isn't working...we gave up a 100 plays...if any other team ran that many plays they would have hung 60 on us. Maybe its time to move Coach K aside and let Coach Patterson call the shots

I guessed earlier in the week if Card had to throw more that 18 times in the game it meant we were probably losing...well he went 20 out of 30 for 277, which should have been enough to win, but TEXAS has to decide , are they are RUN first team or a Passing team...if we have the best RB in the country (which I truly believe) then the answer is obvious

Very good write up as usual. OU lost do not know about Aggie.

I am ready to change all gas andno brakes to.

All show and no go. Lose next Sat. and it last year for sure.

Just wait till culture is changedand coaches get thier players. Bull

Just beat by first year coach not long out of HS coaching.

May seem obvious, but teams are filling the box to stop the run and our O line is a year away from being being strong.  Not faulting the line and seeing much improvement, but not confident we can run when we need to despite the best RB in the country.  I am not the right person to accurately say, but suspect that Card doesn't stretch the defense as much as Ewers which hurts the ability to run the ball.  I would also note WV's strength is in their DL so hope we don't do much wildcat against them.

I agree Card was the offensive player of the game however I think Texas wins this with Quinn at QB. Card underthrew several passes and 1 was picked off. He also missed several receivers by throwing to the other side of their body, he throws it on the right side and the WRs most likely catch them.

I also believe Quinn would have kept some drives alive longer resulting in additional scores. If nothing else, he keeps the O on the field and gives the D a chance to rest longer. Speaking of the D, did anyone else seem to notice that Overshown seemed a little tentative when it came to tackling? I think that horrific call last week got in his head.

Speaking of bad calls, check out Iowa St vs Baylor with the CB blocking below the waist. Terrible call.

Back to Texas, we need Quinn back at QB. While Card played with moxie, he just doesn't see the field like Quinn does. Bijan's fumble hurt big time but he's still one of, if not the best, RBs in the country.

17 minutes ago, Eastexhorn said:

Very good write up as usual. OU lost do not know about Aggie.

I am ready to change all gas andno brakes to.

All show and no go. Lose next Sat. and it last year for sure.

Just wait till culture is changedand coaches get thier players. Bull

Just beat by first year coach not long out of HS coaching.

aggy came back to beat Arkansas, or shall I say Arkansas gifted it to aggy. 

1 hour ago, Basis Points said:

May seem obvious, but teams are filling the box to stop the run and our O line is a year away from being being strong.  Not faulting the line and seeing much improvement, but not confident we can run when we need to despite the best RB in the country.  I am not the right person to accurately say, but suspect that Card doesn't stretch the defense as much as Ewers which hurts the ability to run the ball.  I would also note WV's strength is in their DL so hope we don't do much wildcat against them.

This is where I have issue with the play calling.    You want to load the box?   Fine, we throw the ball to the flats or to a back coming out of the backfield.     We run the stretch play or counter sweep (which went for 40 so we stopped using it), you don't run up the middle.

Oh yeah, we use the TEs too.   Helm and Sanders had 1 catch each.  Sad  😪

the Pistol is a horrible formation to run from, when the color play analyst on ESPN can tell whether Bijan is going to run or go out in a pass pattern, based on where he lines up there is a good sign so can any def coach worth his paycheck...run a two back set up with Ro and Bijan in the backfield and move the QB under center and dare teams to stop the run...Ro proved he is a devastating blocker and just increased his future Sunday value

Long time fan here, I think most of you are over reacting. This team is very young, young teams take time.
    It is easy to buy into the hype early,  most can see the potential. However, this team has had a major overhaul in the last year. I like the direction of the program, continue to stack in recruiting classes. That’s the recipe Mack used in the late 90’s, then Texas went on a 10 year great run. That kind of talent, Georgia and Bama type of talent takes several years to build.
   Get the last years of Mack, the Strong and Herman years out of your mind. Let this staff and team build and win. 

1 hour ago, Johnny Depp said:

Hudson put the passes to the outside shoulder every time, like he's supposed to. 

Then why are WRs turned around expecting the ball on the other shoulder?

I don’t know all the play calls and where the pass should drop, but if a WR is looking one way and the ball goes another then one of them is at fault. When it happens to more than one WR then it’s most likely the QB.

2 minutes ago, Captain Hookem said:

I don’t know all the play calls and where the pass should drop

On a streak, it's always the outside shoulder. Hudson puts it there consistently, which takes a stronger arm than the inside ball. The ball has to be released before the receiver looks back. It's something that needs work with the 1st team and shouldn't be happening. 

6 hours ago, tejasrulz said:

I agree Card was the offensive player of the game however I think Texas wins this with Quinn at QB. Card underthrew several passes and 1 was picked off. He also missed several receivers by throwing to the other side of their body, he throws it on the right side and the WRs most likely catch them.

I also believe Quinn would have kept some drives alive longer resulting in additional scores. If nothing else, he keeps the O on the field and gives the D a chance to rest longer. Speaking of the D, did anyone else seem to notice that Overshown seemed a little tentative when it came to tackling? I think that horrific call last week got in his head.

Speaking of bad calls, check out Iowa St vs Baylor with the CB blocking below the waist. Terrible call.

Back to Texas, we need Quinn back at QB. While Card played with moxie, he just doesn't see the field like Quinn does. Bijan's fumble hurt big time but he's still one of, if not the best, RBs in the country.

Does Quinn play defense?

how many times did our wr be 10 yds in front of the defender, but by the time the ball floated to him they got there for the breakup?....Card either takes too long to throw, or his ball doesnt have enough on it to succeed. Card is OK for a back up, but he doesnt do enough to start.

20 minutes ago, oldhorn2 said:

how many times did our wr be 10 yds in front of the defender, but by the time the ball floated to him they got there for the breakup?....Card either takes too long to throw, or his ball doesnt have enough on it to succeed. Card is OK for a back up, but he doesnt do enough to start.

Closing on the ball in the air is something most defenses and receivers do, Not ours. 

I think we would find more dropped passes than broken up passes if we counted..

Who was that guy that threw 3 passes to move into field goal range with 20 seconds and no timeouts when everyone knew where the ball was going? Fans will be looking for more of that soon.

Kinda surprised we didn't run between the tackles on 1st and 2nd on that last drive.

11 minutes ago, Johnny Depp said:

Who was that guy that threw 3 passes to move into field goal range with 20 seconds and no timeouts when everyone knew where the ball was going? Fans will be looking for more of that soon.

Card looked really good in the two minute offense, which means when he has fewer decisions to make he's more decisive and accurate. It's also a good indication of why Sark has to simplify the offense when he's in the game to keep him from getting overwhelmed. As a result, I'm not sure the criticism of Sark going conservative at times in games is accurate since it's hard to know how much of the playbook is available depending on the QB. 

3 hours ago, Captain Hookem said:

Card looked really good in the two minute offense, which means when he has fewer decisions to make he's more decisive and accurate. It's also a good indication of why Sark has to simplify the offense when he's in the game to keep him from getting overwhelmed. As a result, I'm not sure the criticism of Sark going conservative at times in games is accurate since it's hard to know how much of the playbook is available depending on the QB. 

We threw multiple times successfully in the 1st half on 1st down. Threw for 204 yards in the half.

Tracking a 400 yd game and 40+ points. Hitting the brakes was Sark's idea.