Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Common Man Prediction Thread – UT vs Phi Slamma Bama

Specific things predictions:

Bijan goes over 100 yards on the ground - it may take 20 plus carries to get there but I expect heavy usage this game

Whittington leads the WRs in yardage - I think Saban will scheme to take away Worthy and Sanders and contain Bijan. Whittington has the talent to win 1 on 1s with Bama defenders

Our Defense with >2 sacks, their defense >4.

1 hour ago, Johnny Depp said:

You know how we like to say Texas is everybody's Super Bowl? How do you think Bama feels?

We are the underdog playing in our Super Bowl. Winning the conference is goal #1, but knocking off #1, tear down the goal posts.

I get your point but I don’t feel like it’s our Super Bowl. We haven’t earned playing in a Super Bowl.  We just want a competitive game. And if we win…  tear down the goal posts, strike up the band, and bring on ou. 

If you want some world class entertainment, take the time to read this post, and the following meme's and GIF's. Be careful not to bust a rib laughing. Instant classic. Abundant cursing. 

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/football/football.html/cfb2022/texasmudholesalabama/#comments

Why Texas Stomps a Mudhole In Alabama's Ass

By closetojumping;

Texas has spent the better part of the last 12 years getting sand kicked in its face and told it isn't good enough, or it isn't back, or its boosters are meanies holding down the program or that Austin is a cesspool.

You name the kind of derisive, condescending shit-talking someone in the media, or representative of another fanbase, or even writing as a UT reporter but needing to pay off gambling or IRS debts, could say about the Texas football program, and it has been said. 

This all started on the evening of January 7th, 2010, just after that dirty, impish grandmother molesting Nick Saban sacrificed what is rumored to be a live chicken and a dead rhino to Lamashtu The Eraser, in exchange for the greatest dynastic run in CFB history, beginning with the immediate demise of Texas via an early injury to its star QB and leader, Colt McCoy. 

Having read a few sites.

1. Alabama doesn't have the same talent at WR as they did last year. Their top 3 WR are gone and JoJo Earle has a broken foot.

2. Apparently when Flood went to Austin he took the big human concept with him. None of the interior linemen weigh over 310 lbs. The C is a converted TE and the RT is inexperienced. Anyone remember Byron Vaughns? He had his way with the RT last Saturday and Saban was uncomfortable with OL play in general. Last year Alabama scored over 50 three times and that was against So. Miss, Tennessee and NM State. They didn't over 50 against Mercer.

3. The Alabama defense is the elephant in the room, pardon the pun. Can our OL provide time for Ewers? I think they could be serviceable in the run.

4. If what Sark said is correct, this team will not just lay down. If we come out swinging like we did against ou then we will make the game interesting.

In summary I think our strength is our defense while it is Alabama's as well. But if we get DL into the backfield that evens the playing field to a degree.

Alabama 45 Texas 35

3 hours ago, Baron said:

Having read a few sites.

1. Alabama doesn't have the same talent at WR as they did last year. Their top 3 WR are gone and JoJo Earle has a broken foot.

2. Apparently when Flood went to Austin he took the big human concept with him. None of the interior linemen weigh over 310 lbs. The C is a converted TE and the RT is inexperienced. Anyone remember Byron Vaughns? He had his way with the RT last Saturday and Saban was uncomfortable with OL play in general. Last year Alabama scored over 50 three times and that was against So. Miss, Tennessee and NM State. They didn't over 50 against Mercer.

3. The Alabama defense is the elephant in the room, pardon the pun. Can our OL provide time for Ewers? I think they could be serviceable in the run.

4. If what Sark said is correct, this team will not just lay down. If we come out swinging like we did against ou then we will make the game interesting.

In summary I think our strength is our defense while it is Alabama's as well. But if we get DL into the backfield that evens the playing field to a degree.

Alabama 45 Texas 35

I promise to make this short.  It is past my bedtime.  If our receivers, or running backs, can get open, Ewers can get it to them.  His release is quick, as are his reads, and his decision making.

I haven’t watched Alabama’s defensive backs. I didn’t need to. They are always great.  They are Saban’s pet project, right?

So, not certain why some many are claiming this to be Saban`s best Bama team.  The front 6 with Will Anderson and Dallas Turner coming off the edge should scare every team they face. The secondary is what got burned in both losses last year and unless Ricks plays more the corners in 1 on 1 match-ups we can win easily with X and Whittington. So, going 12- personnel with chip blocking by the TEs to help delay Anderson and Turner or pull them into coverage allowing  B Rob who was last year's 3rd leading receiver from the backfield. We can play with them.

Defensively, the edges and DL need to play at an even higher level than  week, and adding Collins will go along way with that.  Better communication on the back end will help.

Besides if the aggies can put 40+ on them. So, can we.

Texas 48

Bama 51

Bama has the better kicker.  But if we can make them punt and the punt return team can block a kick or 2 change the story. 

Our offense will not stay on the field long at all in any early series, we will not sustain long drives in the first half and our defense will get tired quick; Sabans defense will show our oline and Ewers defensive looks that will confuse them a lot. 

This will be ugly, I won't give a score but Bama easily covers the spread on this game,  don't buy the hype

53 minutes ago, jrcruz1026 said:

Our offense will not stay on the field long at all in any early series, we will not sustain long drives in the first half and our defense will get tired quick; Sabans defense will show our oline and Ewers defensive looks that will confuse them a lot. 

This will be ugly, I won't give a score but Bama easily covers the spread on this game,  don't buy the hype

Damn.... We're playing Bama not the Buffalo Bills. Bama is good, but we're not showing up to kiss Saban's ring. I agree that they will win, but we will compete.

2 hours ago, jrcruz1026 said:

How much can Sark dial up early that may confuse their defense? We will certainly be outmatched but Sark can scheme with the best of them. Can he scheme us to a couple of early touchdowns? If our first 2-3 series on offense can't produce, I do think we will be in for a long game. Scoring 28-35 on offense would be a pretty good showing.

Can out defense give Bryce Young any issues? Their o-line is suspect, can we take advantage. If we prevent the big play, and perhaps create a few turnovers, we could keep their offense in the 28-35 range.

Do both of the above and then be the team to create the game changing play, special team touchdown, pick 6, etc. If we can do all of that we can win - obviously none of these 3 facets are easy but they are doable with our A-game and perhaps a little good fortune along the way.

4 hours ago, Eastexhorn said:

One can scheme, change culture etc. It all may help but as some coach once said angry young men win football games. Better team wins.

The age of angry and tough being enough to win football games is in the past. Even Saban dropped the idea of winning with tough defenses and power run games. He now wins with a spread, high octane passing attack.

Better scheme can beat better athletes, though better athletes are harder to scheme against. Unfortunately, Saban seems to have both - better athletes and good schemes. Hopefully Bill O'Brien puts together one of his underwhelming game plans

Bwilk you read my mind. 

My biggest concern is obviously the Oline specifically Banks (I was not impressed with him week 1). I envision us rolling Quinn out a lot. He supposedly throws well on the run and if we want to throw vertically it’s the only option. 

Our secret weapon is Billy O’Brien. He is as bad an OC or Coach as there is in the game. He is Tom Herman on steroids when it comes to arrogance. He’s the classic “I’m such an idiot that I’m not smart enough to realize it”.

Talent will make them hard to defend but never ever underestimate O’Brien’s ability to screw the pooch. He gives us a legit chance to win.