Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

*****Texas vs. UL-Monroe Game Thread*****

so I have been out of country for a month. I eagerly await this game as I was due back this afternoon. Delay....delay....I get home long enough to set up the DVR just as Ewers thows an ugly interception......out we go to eat and stock the pantry....Finally I get back and see we have a nice lead.....I settle in to watch all gas- no brakes and in comes Card!

I watched in horror!....My God!....If Ewers truly had as long a battle as we were led to believe to win the job, I fear for our team! I have no idea if Card can complete the deep ball, intermediate, or short because he almost never throws it! Hw just dicks around until he is sacked. I cannot envision a world where he could help our team.

Fear not, oldhorn.  Ewers throws it on a rope wherever he is wants it to go.  The people criticizing him think they are John Elway…not!  He makes decisions quickly.  He is going to make a mistake or two, but show me one who doesn’t.

I don’t care who we just played, this team is improved.  Players were moved around, and I think there are some very positive changes.

Hook ‘em!

Java and Oldhorn, I agree with both of you on Card.  Ewers maybe a gunslinger thus the INT tonight, but he makes quick decisions and can make all the throws; it will take some game time to get the deep throws to receivers.  Thought the OL had more ups than downs. They didn't have the usual 12 penalties called on them. 

Did like most of what I saw from the DL ( Coburn, Sweat, Murphy, Ojomo, and Broughton) did a decent job did have a couple of WTF moments. As did Ovie.  

Do have to wonder about the loss of Neyor on those deep shots? But maybe Whittington, Cain, and others show as the year progresses. 

The punting unit seemed lost in blocking and nearly costs us 3 blocks tonights. That shouldn't be happening.

8 hours ago, oldhorn2 said:

so I have been out of country for a month. I eagerly await this game as I was due back this afternoon. Delay....delay....I get home long enough to set up the DVR just as Ewers thows an ugly interception......out we go to eat and stock the pantry....Finally I get back and see we have a nice lead.....I settle in to watch all gas- no brakes and in comes Card!

I watched in horror!....My God!....If Ewers truly had as long a battle as we were led to believe to win the job, I fear for our team! I have no idea if Card can complete the deep ball, intermediate, or short because he almost never throws it! Hw just dicks around until he is sacked. I cannot envision a world where he could help our team.

Welcome back to the country Oldhorn. 

I don’t believe the battle was as close as the coach speak let on. I think there are reasons to give that impression and let it drag out but it’s clear Quinn is the superior in game qb. Which could explain some of the decision process. Maybe Card is Joe Montana in practice when no one can hit the qb.

The Horns had their scrimmage against a severely outmanned team, its apparent there are a few playmakers on this team, and I still think we are a run first oriented team, which will give Ewers some better play action scenarios. I do like the change in passing philosophy, it seemed like they were trying to hit receivers in space and allow them to break it wide open...there are some playmakers on defense that other teams will have to account for...I did not watch the game on TV and only had the Sirius XM call but how many touches or targets were directed at XW, am guessing he was double covered all night, the offense has to find a way to break him free since he is such a huge home run threat...It seemed like this team is buying into Sark and hopefully the fan base will get on board too..

Now we step up in class and see what type of team we really have and if the program is ready to compete and contend with the elites of college football..

13 hours ago, UT1983 said:

Not sure why we burned all that time on 4th down. 

12 hours ago, Brad Usrey said:

That was head scratcher.

Good coaching by Sark. We don't burn that time off and don't make the 4th down conversion we give the ball to ULM with plenty of time to try and score. 

11 hours ago, dallaslonghorn said:

Quinn has a rifle for an arm, he just needs to get it under control. His arm and athletic ability (running) give him much more upside than Card

Are you saying he throws too hard, needs to learn to put touch on  passes😀

12 minutes ago, Eastexhorn said:

Are you saying he throws too hard, needs to learn to put touch on  passes😀

Not sure what dallaslonghorn means but I thought Quinn's short passes had nice touch on them. His long balls were off a little but at least he overthrew most of them which usually don't lead to INTs.

He has it under control. Are you saying that our (freshman) should not be amped?  Please, you have got to be kidding.  

My first time on the field at DKR, I don’t think my feet ever touched the ground, and I wasn’t the starting qb.

Everyone needs to relax and get their PTSD under control.  

In addition, during the Alabama game, win or lose, think before you post. IF YOU ARE ANGRY, think 12 hours before you post (everyone), please.

Hook ‘em, all!

Read the thread and here are my thoughts.

I believe some were expecting the second coming to show up at QB. Remember, this was his first start in his college career. Minus his first drive, I thought he did pretty well overall.

Card still looks lost. Yes, it's called Coach Speak for a reason.

Sanders is a stud. Good to see Texas use the TEs more.

We're fine at RB.

OL did a good job minus the 3 sacks but at least one of those was on Card and one maybe on Quinn.

Defense looked good even it was just ULM. Overshown stood out.

I hope the team doesn't have the defeatist attitude some of our fans due next Saturday. 

14 hours ago, java said:

Fear not, oldhorn.  Ewers throws it on a rope wherever he is wants it to go.  The people criticizing him think they are John Elway…not!  He makes decisions quickly.  He is going to make a mistake or two, but show me one who doesn’t.

I don’t care who we just played, this team is improved.  Players were moved around, and I think there are some very positive changes.

Hook ‘em!

I was encouraged by things yesterday but come on it’s ULM. 

I realize probably  get some  disagreement but I was not as impressed  with QE as some. Most of his passes where dump offs & Sanders. We are gonna have to hit some vertical along with shifting run game in high gear to stay competitive  with Bama. 

3 hours ago, Brad Usrey said:

I realize probably  get some  disagreement but I was not as impressed  with QE as some. Most of his passes where dump offs & Sanders. We are gonna have to hit some vertical along with shifting run game in high gear to stay competitive  with Bama. 

I thought he played well, being it was his first game to ever start. Those passes to the TE haven't existed until now, so that is worthy of celebration in itself.

The only complaint I have is the overthrows on the deep stuff. 

We're going to have to do a lot of things right when we play Bama. It won't be just one player.

Guys, what is going on?

Who are you comparing Ewers to?  Not that impressive?  You have got to be kidding.  I have watched football, including Alabama, A&M, LSU, FSU, South Carolina, OU, Texas (4 times), Arkansas, and a few more partials since Friday.

Am I biased?  You bet, but he is good, really good.  If you think he isn’t, then we aren’t watching the same player, or you expected him to be NFL ready this year.  For Pete’s Sake!

Vegas has Alabama by 14, or they did last night.  Well, James Brown back at ‘ya.

I like both of you, but we aren’t forfeiting this game!

So, Hook ‘em!

On 9/4/2022 at 10:34 AM, tejasrulz said:

Read the thread and here are my thoughts.

I believe some were expecting the second coming to show up at QB. Remember, this was his first start in his college career. Minus his first drive, I thought he did pretty well overall.

Card still looks lost. Yes, it's called Coach Speak for a reason.

Sanders is a stud. Good to see Texas use the TEs more.

We're fine at RB.

OL did a good job minus the 3 sacks but at least one of those was on Card and one maybe on Quinn.

Defense looked good even it was just ULM. Overshown stood out.

I hope the team doesn't have the defeatist attitude some of our fans due next Saturday. 

Is there any way to give this response championship status?

If not, t/r, may I just quote it each time someone acts like a jackass?

2 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Is this a news flash or did you feel the same exact way six months ago?

Felt same way about Bama since I first saw the schedule. 

On Georgia ans O St. after I saw them play this week end Georgia dominared Oregon. O. Stwith a break or two finaly put ND away.

New first full year coach of ND did well. When he gets his players and they buy into his schemes, they will be touff. Forgot changes the colture.