Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recruiting rankings

9 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Don't sleep on him. Kid can flat out ball. He'll get the weight he needs at UT.

He is strong in the mean department.

If I am still aroundwill see in about 3 years.

9 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

At this point in the process this year, we've received commitments from almost all of our priority targets. And we have a few more to go in the next few weeks.

I am deeply satisfied with how this has worked out. So let the rankings be whatever they end up being. We got who we wanted.

"We got who we wanted."

I'm thinking it's pretty rare to get someone you don't want. Just messing with ya on a Monday morning 😉

Not certain why the concern of the recruiting ranks. Alabama is now and most likely stays at #1.  To around out the top 5, no order Clemson, Georgia, Ohio State, and Texas. The next 5 with be in no order ND, blowu, LSU, USC, and Miami. Causing more issues for aggy to probably be outside the top 20 and several of last year players possibly leaving either at the end of the season or the next season.

4 hours ago, david ficken said:

Not certain why the concern of the recruiting ranks. Alabama is now and most likely stays at #1.  To around out the top 5, no order Clemson, Georgia, Ohio State, and Texas. The next 5 with be in no order ND, blowu, LSU, USC, and Miami. Causing more issues for aggy to probably be outside the top 20 and several of last year players possibly leaving either at the end of the season or the next season.

The final position that we finish in the rankings is not near as important to me as the gap between us and the teams ranked above when it comes to getting top 100, 200, and 300 players. Over the past 5 years, the gap between us and the elite teams is significant when it comes to that. That's why they have been elite and we haven't. 

And, in Sark's first two classes, the numbers actually show that Texas has made little progress in closing that gap.  

41 minutes ago, North Texas Golfer said:

The final position that we finish in the rankings is not rear as important to me as the gap between us and the teams ranked above when it comes to getting top 100, 200, and 300 players. Over the past 5 years, the gap between us and the elite teams is significant when it comes to that. That's why they have been elite and we haven't. 

And, in Sark's first two classes, the numbers actually show that Texas has made little progress in closing that gap.  

Especially defense 

3 hours ago, North Texas Golfer said:

The final position that we finish in the rankings is not near as important to me as the gap between us and the teams ranked above when it comes to getting top 100, 200, and 300 players. Over the past 5 years, the gap between us and the elite teams is significant when it comes to that. That's why they have been elite and we haven't. 

To add to this, a lack of player development has hurt us too.

We need players to go in the first day of the NFL draft.

6 hours ago, North Texas Golfer said:

But he’s only had one class. Year 1 he started in January kids signed with lame duck Herman in December. 

20 hours ago, North Texas Golfer said:

I agree that there is a gap and it isn't closing, but not certain that is due to the recruiting effort, but the lack of development of the players, as a whole. Also, need to add in the lack of winning on a constant basis like the others are more of a cause than anything else. This has been the same for almost 15 years; the last few years of Mack, the Strong years, and the Jackass Mensa years!  Anyone that disagrees with the Jackass Mensa years how are those 2 #3 ranked classes looking these days. Plus, how bad of a look does a head coach need then to piss off a Texas Legacy in The Great Blake, amd pissing him and both his kids(5*) and other mutliple (5*) and (4*) guys to make the defense and OL so much better.

That 1st class, the transition class, doubtful that either Wright or Merrill would have been taken by this staff. They took flyers on Abiara(???) and Sorrells. One has shown promised in being a late raisers as a edge player. The other didn't  thus he portal on.  They also took 4 portals that year.  This is why I don't look or care as much about the rankings like I use to with the portal and watching you leaves and how much they care to look around for the best landing spot.

On 8/3/2022 at 8:18 PM, Eastexhorn said:

Lame duck Tom might nor coach( except bowl games ) but recruiting was not his problem.

Tom recruited 4 stars everywhere but the lines. Thus, the losses. 

3 hours ago, Wayne said:

Tom recruited 4 stars everywhere but the lines. Thus, the losses. 

What? Really?  So, T. Johnson, Junior A., Parr, Garth, Majors, Moore, Hookfin, and Sheppard(??? Spelling) were all OL 4stars under the Herman watch. Add that if not mistaken H. Connor signed early under Herman prior to him being fired.

On the DL, Coburn, Collins (5*), Broughton were all under Herman as 4 stars or higher.  Don't recall if Sweat became a 4*, but was either a low 4* high 3*.

None were pushed to become better under Herman and they knew it. 

6 hours ago, david ficken said:

What? Really?  So, T. Johnson, Junior A., Parr, Garth, Majors, Moore, Hookfin, and Sheppard(??? Spelling) were all OL 4stars under the Herman watch. Add that if not mistaken H. Connor signed early under Herman prior to him being fired.

On the DL, Coburn, Collins (5*), Broughton were all under Herman as 4 stars or higher.  Don't recall if Sweat became a 4*, but was either a low 4* high 3*.

Based strictly on player rankings, Sark's first two recruiting classes is only slightly better than Tom's last 4 classes although this year's class is still incomplete. But I do think the OL recruiting is definitely better so far and he did quite well with the portal last year.  

7 hours ago, david ficken said:

Doesn't that prove my point?  In 4 years Herman signed an average of 1.5 4/5 star offensive linemen per year and 0.75 4 and 5 star defensive linemen per year.

In Sark's first year there were 6 4/5 star OL and 4 4/5 star DL.  It  took Herman 4 years to get that haul.  

2 hours ago, Wayne said:

Doesn't that prove my point?  In 4 years Herman signed an average of 1.5 4/5 star offensive linemen per year and 0.75 4 and 5 star defensive linemen per year.

In Sark's first year there were 6 4/5 star OL and 4 4/5 star DL.  It  took Herman 4 years to get that haul.  

And the ability to recruit OL seemed to be diminishing.    This was particularly highlighted by the Brockermeyers opting elsewhere.  There may be exceptions but it seems like highly ranked OL weren’t really even considering UT.

On 8/5/2022 at 8:59 AM, Wayne said:

Your point was that Mensa Jackass didn't recruit any 4* or 5* players along the lines or at least that is how it reads.  I pointed out that he got guys, but either he or Hand/Warhime didn't get them good on the OL. Thus the other OL guys saw the crappy offense and the non-development of the OL guys caused the changes in part of missing out on some. Add the a-hole personality and ego of Herman to piss off plenty of parents. 

Now add that the DL coach or coaches got 2-3 guys that they inherited to become the Big12 DLineman of the year and yet Coburn who played with those guys just doesn't seem to care. Maybe this is the year? Collins and Broughton now working with coach Bo maybe change their attitude to become better. The DC and the coaches on the D better get it figured out. 

5 hours ago, david ficken said:

Your point was that Mensa Jackass didn't recruit any 4* or 5* players along the lines or at least that is how it reads.  I pointed out that he got guys, but either he or Hand/Warhime didn't get them good on the OL. Thus the other OL guys saw the crappy offense and the non-development of the OL guys caused the changes in part of missing out on some. Add the a-hole personality and ego of Herman to piss off plenty of parents. 

Now add that the DL coach or coaches got 2-3 guys that they inherited to become the Big12 DLineman of the year and yet Coburn who played with those guys just doesn't seem to care. Maybe this is the year? Collins and Broughton now working with coach Bo maybe change their attitude to become better. The DC and the coaches on the D better get it figured out. 

No, my point was that Herman’s 4/5 star recruits were primarily skill position players. And football is won in the trenches.  Almost half a team’s players are on the lines and he didn’t/couldn’t recruit enough talented big bodies. 1 to 2 a year isn’t enough.