Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Baseball Purge

Does anyone have some insight on the upheaval of the baseball coaching staff? Pierce let his assistants, who have been with him for a long time, go and Tulo chose not to return. That is pretty much wiping the slate clean. We also had some curious transfers of players who looked to step into large rolls next year. From the outside looking in, seems to be a lot of discontent in the clubhouse. 

3 hours ago, tejasrulz said:

I made some comments during the season wondering if we had the correct coaching staff and got called out on it several times. Maybe I wasn't far from the truth after all?

There was definitely something going on in the locker room with Allen that Pierce didn't like and decided to make a change. I imagine a hard decision for him. Those who follow baseball closely (Dustin McComas and Kendall Rogers) were quite shocked to see it happen as well so I feel justified in calling you out but I also think you can feel justified because those changes have indeed happened.

With Tulo, seems like he wanted to step back from the game a bit. He has a new baby on the way and obviously no need to earn a paycheck at this point. Heck, he turned down the USC head coaching gig which is a dang near dream job for him.

Curious to see what happens with Coach Miller, seems like an assistant to the head coach type of gig (similar to Gary Patterson).

6 hours ago, Eastexhorn said:

S. Jac. is a strong baseball program, and has been for many years. I like the hires. Time will tell.

JuCo baseball is very different from JuCo football. Some of the best prospects go JuCo because you can get drafted after graduating in 2 years instead of being stuck at a 4 year college for a minimum of 3 years.

19 hours ago, BWilk55 said:

There was definitely something going on in the locker room with Allen that Pierce didn't like and decided to make a change. I imagine a hard decision for him. Those who follow baseball closely (Dustin McComas and Kendall Rogers) were quite shocked to see it happen as well so I feel justified in calling you out but I also think you can feel justified because those changes have indeed happened.

So I was right. That's ok, you can say it, they know.  😉

23 hours ago, tejasrulz said:

I made some comments during the season wondering if we had the correct coaching staff and got called out on it several times. Maybe I wasn't far from the truth after all?

Welcome to the club pitching coach was off limits.

Some clarity on Sean Allen.

I continue to speculate that things became clear after Allen was out for 1 game after being hit by the line drive. Probably made the "philosophical" pretty evident.

• 1 month later...
On 7/8/2022 at 9:37 AM, BWilk55 said:

Sounds like this has maybe developed into something more for Tulo and Texas. Will continue in a volunteer role and work pretty closely with the team according to Chip Brown. He wants to keep coaching and has head coach aspirations. Wants to learn the recruiting aspect further and Pierce will help him with that. He turned down big money from USC and even Texas to stay on in a coaching role. 

9 hours ago, BWilk55 said:

Sounds like this has maybe developed into something more for Tulo and Texas. Will continue in a volunteer role and work pretty closely with the team according to Chip Brown. He wants to keep coaching and has head coach aspirations. Wants to learn the recruiting aspect further and Pierce will help him with that. He turned down big money from USC and even Texas to stay on in a coaching role. 

I am stoked that Tulo is staying around! He has made a huge difference and players want to be around him.

We have added a RHP from Baylor in Cody Howard.

We didn't put an offer to Tulo like I guess Chip wants to claim. Secondly, Tulo put out a demand to USC to upgrade their baseball department and facilities of upto $100M and they refused and he declined. Not to mention that both Long Beach State and Cal State Fullerton offered and he declined both of them. He wanted to stay closer to the Texas baseball department to help and work with the players. It's been out there for about  a month, but if Chip feels like he is putting something out there as new news, as usual he is bad at it.

4 hours ago, david ficken said:

We have added a RHP from Baylor in Cody Howard.

We didn't put an offer to Tulo like I guess Chip wants to claim. Secondly, Tulo put out a demand to USC to upgrade their baseball department and facilities of upto $100M and they refused and he declined. Not to mention that both Long Beach State and Cal State Fullerton offered and he declined both of them. He wanted to stay closer to the Texas baseball department to help and work with the players. It's been out there for about  a month, but if Chip feels like he is putting something out there as new news, as usual he is bad at it.

The tweet I shared on 7/8 did indicate he would still be around the team. This sounded more significant to me than what it sounded like at that time. 

What do you mean about us not offering Tulo like Chip says? You got the goods on what the offer was? Not shocking that we would have thrown a lot at him to try to keep him around.

On 8/13/2022 at 6:30 AM, BWilk55 said:

The tweet I shared on 7/8 did indicate he would still be around the team. This sounded more significant to me than what it sounded like at that time. 

What do you mean about us not offering Tulo like Chip says? You got the goods on what the offer was? Not shocking that we would have thrown a lot at him to try to keep him around.

Tulo opted not to return as a part of Pierce's new staff based on several contributing factors; not one singular reason.  I personally think that Tulo will be a name that you'll see mentioned quite a bit in the future, whether that's in conversations about UT Baseball or not remains to be seen. 

Per David Pierce, we are starting the `23 season at the college baseball showdown in Arlington, TX with Arkie, Vandy, and Missouri. Not certain of the order of the games just yet unless @Joeywa knows more. Question to Joey, any thoughts on the starters at pitching?  Guessing Gordon and anything after him is a guess, but this is why we need the fall part of baseball to figure some of this out.