Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

***Official OMAHA CWS Thread***

3 minutes ago, BWilk55 said:

I figured that's who you were referring to but was confused because Swindell never won a championship.

Seems like those 1984 and 1985 teams could have used a 3rd ace pitcher 

And if you were thinking about 1983, I'd argue that Roger Clemens, Shiraldi and Mike Capel were the 3 aces needed to win a championship.

4 hours ago, Eastexhorn said:

Memory is faulty again. In my mind can see Greg and Calvin pitching in same series but was a year apart.

Any way plggs are up on tree huggers in sixth.

Miss. 5 Auburn 0

Well, all four ranked teams lost in the opening round of CWS.  Not surprised by Arkie and Ole Miss winning, as if not mistaken both started off highly ranked, but disappointed during the regular season and did very little in post season.  

12 hours ago, BWilk55 said:

And if you were thinking about 1983, I'd argue that Roger Clemens, Shiraldi and Mike Capel were the 3 aces needed to win a championship.

Oh yeah. Because we won 60 or more games 3 straight years. Plus winning 3 regular season titles, 2 of 3 post season titles, and won 1 NC amd were runner ups the following 2 years. But only if we had that 3 ace. 🤣😉🤔

5 hours ago, david ficken said:

Oh yeah. Because we won 60 or more games 3 straight years. Plus winning 3 regular season titles, 2 of 3 post season titles, and won 1 NC amd were runner ups the following 2 years. But only if we had that 3 ace. 🤣😉🤔

I believe you are missing the point of my statement.

In no way am I saying the 84 and 85 teams weren't great. I can't find enough info about those teams to say much about their pitching beyond Greg Swindell. 

I was pointing out that the 83 team did indeed have 3 aces and were not led by a duo of Calvin Shiraldi and Greg Swindell (who wasn't on the team yet) as EastTex retorted.

7 hours ago, david ficken said:

1 hour ago, BWilk55 said:

I believe you are missing the point of my statement.

In no way am I saying the 84 and 85 teams weren't great. I can't find enough info about those teams to say much about their pitching beyond Greg Swindell. 

I was pointing out that the 83 team did indeed have 3 aces and were not led by a duo of Calvin Shiraldi and Greg Swindell (who wasn't on the team yet) as EastTex retorted.

If I remember right, Texas had a CF who was their "5th" pitcher who got drafted by the pros, as a pitcher. Shiraldi  was the ace, Roger was 2nd, Capel was 3rd and after that a lot of good arms.

59 minutes ago, tejasrulz said:

If I remember right, Texas had a CF who was their "5th" pitcher who got drafted by the pros, as a pitcher. Shiraldi  was the ace, Roger was 2nd, Capel was 3rd and after that a lot of good arms.

Thanks for that insight. It is actually quite hard to find detailed information about those teams, box scores, stats, etc. 

I would know, I started trying to research 83, 84 and 85 but couldn't find much.

21 minutes ago, BWilk55 said:

Thanks for that insight. It is actually quite hard to find detailed information about those teams, box scores, stats, etc. 

I would know, I started trying to research 83, 84 and 85 but couldn't find much.

You rae tight not much infro. out side of Swindell. He was guite a pitcher for the Horns

2 minutes ago, Mitch Lovell said:

Gordon gets them down in order, looking locked in.

Gordon looked good, defense looked good behind him with good plays at 3b, 1b and whoever caught that deep flyball.

1 minute ago, BWilk55 said:

Gordon looked good, defense looked good behind him with good plays at 3b, 1b and whoever caught that deep flyball.

Yes they did. It was Hodo near collision with Campbell.

1 minute ago, Mitch Lovell said:

Infield single by Campbell following Ardoin strikeout. 

haha, error by 3b to allow campbell to reach and then he is hosed stealing and the glove comes off of the infielder. On 2nd base for free!

2 minutes ago, BWilk55 said:

haha, error by 3b to allow campbell to reach and then he is hosed stealing and the glove comes off of the infielder. On 2nd base for free!

Pitcher could have thrown him out at 3b on faltines grounder back to him. Went to 1st base instead and Campbell then scores on a hodo double!

Just now, BWilk55 said:

Pitcher could have thrown him out at 3b on faltines grounder back to him. Went to 1st base instead and Campbell then scores on a hodo double!

Campbell literally could have been out 3 different times, and he scores. This aggy defense is a liability.