Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

***Official OMAHA CWS Thread***

Downside, we lost to Notre Dame. Plus side, we get to eliminate Texas A&M on Sunday. A&M hasn't won a game since 1993 in Omaha. 

Solid outing from Stevens. He kept the score close and gave the offense a chance. He also saved all the bullpen arms. He threw 59 pitches himself so I doubt we see him Sunday. Could he be back for the Tuesday game (#3) if needed? Game 4 would be Wednesday so we could see either Hansen or Stevens start that game with a MLB typical 4 days of rest. Game 5 would be Thursday (I think, different brackets say differently) and either guy could certainly be used at that time.

Hard to win when you can't generate any offense. The play of the game may have been that ND pitcher getting Faltine out at 2nd on the bunt by Hodo. If not, Faltine would have scored to tie up the game on Melendez's hit and who knows what would have happened.

aggy is gonna be tough Sunday. Hope the bats wake up by then.

4 hours ago, david ficken said:

Welp. We will see what happens on Sunday with aggy,  but we aren't were we want to be.

I think the ceiling for this team was lowered once the pitching staff fell apart earlier this year. Hard to win this tournament without 3 reliable starters and some really good relief arms. 

The floor dropped significantly too and missing the tournament was a possibility. The team finished strong but making it out of the loser's bracket is a tall task. Let's at least eliminate aggy and ou while we are in Omaha!

2 minutes ago, tejasrulz said:

Hard to win when you can't generate any offense. The play of the game may have been that ND pitcher getting Faltine out at 2nd on the bunt by Hodo. If not, Faltine would have scored to tie up the game on Melendez's hit and who knows what would have happened.

I was shocked to see him field it and throw to second but he made a great play. 

The other turning point was probably the 4th inning. The overturned play at the plate obviously added a run to ND but also took an out off the board. Would have been 2 outs with runners on 1st and 2nd and the next batter popped up. The review on the play at 3rd base after the flyout didn't end up adding any runs but did drive Hansen's pitch count up even more. A quick 4th may have meant a better 5th inning from him and those 3 runs in the 5th were the difference.

8 minutes ago, tejasrulz said:

These ND pitchers were some of the best we have faced. This Texas team is great on offense but tend to disappear against top line pitching. Aggy does not have near the pitching staff that ND does. They are more explosive on offense than ND so we will need a good performance from Gordon to keep them in check. I'd expect a higher scoring game overall.

2 minutes ago, BWilk55 said:

These ND pitchers were some of the best we have faced. This Texas team is great on offense but tend to disappear against top line pitching. Aggy does not have near the pitching staff that ND does. They are more explosive on offense than ND so we will need a good performance from Gordon to keep them in check. I'd expect a higher scoring game overall.

Agree about aggy pitching but it's their hitting that worries me, they can score quickly.

2 minutes ago, J.B. TexasEx said:

Remember, no matter what happens on Sunday, aggy is still;

• 30 trips behind UT in trips to Omaha
  • 85 CWS wins behind
  • and 6 National Championships behind

🤘

Agree but those facts don't add any runs on the board for Texas on Sunday.

3 hours ago, BWilk55 said:

I think the ceiling for this team was lowered once the pitching staff fell apart earlier this year. Hard to win this tournament without 3 reliable starters and some really good relief arms. 

The floor dropped significantly too and missing the tournament was a possibility. The team finished strong but making it out of the loser's bracket is a tall task. Let's at least eliminate aggy and ou while we are in Omaha!

Calvin and Greg says hi.

2 hours ago, Eastexhorn said:

Thought you knew Texas baseball. The two pitchers who pitched Horns to a CWS title.You said it took three good pitchers to win.

1 hour ago, Oldmanastro said:

Schiraldi and Swindell you youngster.

I figured that's who you were referring to but was confused because Swindell never won a championship.

Seems like those 1984 and 1985 teams could have used a 3rd ace pitcher