Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

**2022 CWS Baseball Thread**

2 hours ago, BWilk55 said:

Hodo didn't slide because he though he heard contact (he said after the game). You can see him looking back to the batter to find the ball. Really more of a weird happenstance than anything else. 

Thanks for the info. I had to leave to go out of town right after that play and didn't get back until Sunday afternoon, so I missed anything that wasn't updated by @joeywa

Hope I'm wrong and Pierce win's a title with Texas. Maybe I'm spoiled watching Gus & Augie, I can admit that. 

31 minutes ago, longhorn_mig said:

aggy gonna aggy

A quote from said aggy "You know, if I'm going to do the Horns Down, I'm going to do the Horns Down," he said. "I don't think anybody's going to stop me from doing it." Uh, they just stopped you dude. 🤣

2 hours ago, tejasrulz said:

Thanks for the info. I had to leave to go out of town right after that play and didn't get back until Sunday afternoon, so I missed anything that wasn't updated by @joeywa

Hope I'm wrong and Pierce win's a title with Texas. Maybe I'm spoiled watching Gus & Augie, I can admit that. 

Hopefully you’re not talking about the last four years of either of those coaches.

Also, and maybe more importantly this is a different era.  Pierce isn’t coaching in coach Gus’ era where maybe 10 teams had a chance to win a National championship. Or even the 2000s where they’re may have been 20 teams that could win it all.

Pierce is coaching in an era where a Coastal Carolina wins one. There are more schools investing in baseball.  Because with the right coach a school can make a name for itself.  

1 hour ago, bctex1106 said:

Ugh. So stupid. Why does the NCAA feel the need to be "offended" over something that Longhorn fans laugh at?

I sort of agree with you. But it’s the timing. You can’t sing the national anthem and then  say Go Pokes to one team and do a horns down at the other. That’s just aggy. At that moment, it’s just play ball. Show a bit of dignity.

I know.  I know. I know.

6 hours ago, tejasrulz said:

I'd like to see fewer fundamental errors made by the team. This year Texas has made a lot and some, if not most, I would point to the coaches. The latest example being Game 2 of the Super when Hodo got thrown out at 2nd. 

Why didn't he slide? Did he think it was a full count? The 1st base coach should have been telling him after every pitch what the count was. As ugly as that was, I thought he made it watching it live which replay confirmed he was safe. Why didn't the coaches challenge the call? Luckily it didn't bite us in the arse however if Texas did challenge it, we could have possibly scored a lot more that inning. However, we won and I'm happy for that. 

So it appears to me that we have made some bad decisions and luckily we have the talent to win some of those games most other teams would lose. 

Be that said, HOOK'EM!

They were the #1 fielding team in baseball.  You listed one base running error by a player as evidence. There were also a lot of good things done on the field.

I watch a lot of baseball. I played a lot of baseball. Baseball is a game of failure. Unless your name is Ivan  your going to make an out at least 6 out of every ten times. I watch pro baseball. Some of the best players have awful stretches and even awful years. That’s the beauty of the game. 

Pierce is an aggressive 3rd base coach. But if you do the analytics, it’s the right call if you have 2 outs. The best teams in MLB have aggressive 3rd base coaches. 

Ugh. So stupid. Why does the NCAA feel the need to be "offended" over something that Longhorn fans laugh at?

It doesn't offend me, it pisses me off. There is just too much rude shit going on in this country now a days.

There’s one more thing I always wondered. If somebody did the horns down at you, is it ok to give them the double rods or would a single rod suffice?  Cause that’s what they mean. 

2 hours ago, Wayne said:

There’s one more thing I always wondered. If somebody did the horns down at you, is it ok to give them the double rods or would a single rod suffice?  Cause that’s what they mean. 

College rivalries are supposed to be fun. If a hand signal turned upside down triggers someone that much, the problem doesn't sit with the person making the hand signal, tbh. 

The best man in my wedding is a huge Irish fan, and he spent the entire game and weekend in 2015 (and long after) doing the Horns down at me. I gave him just as much shit in 2016 after we won. 

It ain't that serious, man. Haha. 

Just a couple of random thoughts.

With the right players a coach can makea name for himself.

To mefundmental errors are mental mistakes not hand mistakes

Horns have a shot for the ship. Starting pitching, continue the timely hitting and usethe right relivers.

1 minute ago, Eastexhorn said:

Just a couple of random thoughts.

With the right players a coach can makea name for himself.

To mefundmental errors are mental mistakes not hand mistakes

Horns have a shot for the ship. Starting pitching, continue the timely hitting and usethe right relivers.

I agree the Horns have shot at the championship. There’s no team hands down better. On offense and defense, Texas may be the best.  The pitching is just ok but ok enough with the offense and fielding.

With the defense we have our pitchers should pitch to contact. Don’t be afraid to throw a strike; trust your stuff and the defense. Because they aren’t pitching in Greenville in the World Series. I understand that fear in Greenville some pop flies went out of the park. 

We have more than a fighters chance if Tristan remembers his game plan from last year. Throw strikes, pitch to contact, trust the defense. Keeps your pitch count down. 

But baseball is baseball. As the immortal Joaquin Andujar said: “You can sum up the game of baseball in one word:  You never know.”

2 hours ago, Wayne said:

When that happens, definitely it’s the double rods while placing your fists together.  This creates an appropriate Horns up sign for the festive occasion.

Opposing teams and their fans get great joy in throwing the Horns down while they’re winning.  When we start beating them, you don’t see them throwing it down as much.  The ECU fans were throwing the Horns down early and into the middle innings on Sunday night.  When it became apparent that they were going to lose, you didn’t see them doing it very much or at least I didn’t notice it.  

I realize I’m switching sports, but winning solves a lot of issues and we need to start doing that on the football field which will lead to seeing fewer Horns down in the second half of games.  As OT Stan Thomas said before the 1990 aggy game, Texas starters would be out of the game by the third quarter, “eating hot dogs and telling aggy jokes.”  And thus fewer Horns down signs.

9 hours ago, tejasrulz said:

Actually, the SS supposedly hollered out “foul ball” and Hodo pulled up and looked back at the plate. Call It gamesmanship, Bush League or whatever, but players can’t succumb to that stuff. 

Additionally, Pierce has now taken Texas to Omaha 3 times in his first six seasons. In today’s era of college baseball, that’s pretty dang impressive. Augie didn’t do that; CWS 2x in his first 6 seasons. Won it in his 6th season as UT HC. Gus did, but that was a very different era. He also didn’t win the CWS until his 8th season. 

It is understandable to have expectations for the University of Texas Baseball program, especially when they’ve been to Omaha now 38 times over the 75 year history of the CWS. No other university is even in the same zip code. That said, perspective is something that should be exercised. As stated above, when Gus did it, it was a very, very different time. Augie’s runs were impressive but also the landscape of college baseball was different than it is now. 

Be excited for where the team is, and how they’re getting there when injuries and all aspects affect them adversely throughout the year. Not saying to shelve the hopes of winning it all, rather just don’t wear blinders and think that it’s a given. Getting to this point is the expectation. Anything they do from here is going to take some exceptional effort and work. 

Now let’s go win it all!  HookEm 

7 hours ago, joeywa said:

Actually, the SS supposedly hollered out “foul ball” and Hodo pulled up and looked back at the plate. Call It gamesmanship, Bush League or whatever, but players can’t succumb to that stuff. 

Additionally, Pierce has now taken Texas to Omaha 3 times in his first six seasons. In today’s era of college baseball, that’s pretty dang impressive. Augie didn’t do that; CWS 2x in his first 6 seasons. Won it in his 6th season as UT HC. Gus did, but that was a very different era. He also didn’t win the CWS until his 8th season. 

It is understandable to have expectations for the University of Texas Baseball program, especially when they’ve been to Omaha now 38 times over the 75 year history of the CWS. No other university is even in the same zip code. That said, perspective is something that should be exercised. As stated above, when Gus did it, it was a very, very different time. Augie’s runs were impressive but also the landscape of college baseball was different than it is now. 

Be excited for where the team is, and how they’re getting there when injuries and all aspects affect them adversely throughout the year. Not saying to shelve the hopes of winning it all, rather just don’t wear blinders and think that it’s a given. Getting to this point is the expectation. Anything they do from here is going to take some exceptional effort and work. 

Now let’s go win it all!  HookEm 

3 CWS in 5 seasons* (no CWS in 2020 due to covid)

18 hours ago, longhorn_mig said:

Lots of people piping in nationally making fun of the Horns saying it is nothing and the NCAA is too sensitive.  That aggy singer is a hero to the aggy cult.  When I was working in the area a few years ago, I stayed at a motel in College Station and my truck was vandalized 3 times in 2 years because I had a Horn on the tailgate.  There were at least twice as many upside down horn stickers than aggy logos. Their vitriolic hate for Texas is unreal.  If a UT National Anthem singer had done a thumbs down at an aggy game, the response would have been overwhelming.  They would have gone nuts just like they did when they found out we had been welcomed into the SEC.  

On 6/15/2022 at 8:35 AM, BWilk55 said:

3 CWS in 5 seasons* (no CWS in 2020 due to covid)

In other words, if our previous coaches were as good as Pierce (60% rate of CWS), we would be celebrating our 45th trip to Omaha instead of just 38. Please stop with the Coach Pierce and Coach Allen slander, at least until they stop having high levels of post-season success.

Vegas likes Texas as the favorite. 4 out of 7 D1baseball writers have Texas going to Championship and 2 think we win. Texas is the best fielding team, best hitting team and top 3 in pitching in Omaha. 

I think for me, the inconsistency of this team keeps me a bit pessimistic about our chances. If we play like we have at times, including Friday night vs ECU, we could be gone in 2 games. On the other hand, if we play up to our potential, I could see us winning it. 

I think it will mostly come down to what kind of performances we get from the pitchers, particularly the starters. I trust our offense to put up runs and the defense to play solid behind them. 

56 minutes ago, BWilk55 said:

In other words, if our previous coaches were as good as Pierce (60% rate of CWS), we would be celebrating our 45th trip to Omaha instead of just 38. Please stop with the Coach Pierce and Coach Allen slander, at least until they stop having high levels of post-season success.

If it is written on a message board is it slander or libel? 😎

On 6/14/2022 at 6:08 PM, Baron said:

It doesn't offend me, it pisses me off. There is just too much rude shit going on in this country now a days.

You should teach high school!

• joeywa unpinned this topic