Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

**2022 CWS Baseball Thread**


Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, BWilk55 said:

He won game 1 for ECU and game 3 for Texas, so yes, that's pretty good.

I know. But this game 3 performance was just out of nowhere.  And needed. Hope he can keep it up next week. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Wayne said:

I know. But this game 3 performance was just out of nowhere.  And needed. Hope he can keep it up next week. 

I kid I kid. He was stellar today. Definitely had the best pitching performance out of anyone on the mound this weekend. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In what could have been a high pressure, winner take all game, Texas makes ECU look like a mid-week opponent. Putting up 9 runs in the first 2 innings and tacking on 2 more solo HRs. Tristan Stevens looked like the pitcher we saw last year, working deep into games with low pitch counts. His 1 run, 6 inning performance took all the stress off of the bullpen. Stehle and Southard closed out the final 3 innings with ease.

It ended up being a bit of a snoozer of a game but that is not a complaint. Importantly, Texas didn't have to overextend their front line starters in Hansen or Gordon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/11/2022 at 8:37 AM, tejasrulz said:

Well I quit watching the game and we scored more runs, the problem was ECU scored even more. 🤬

How many times has this coaching staff made decisions we have questioned? I've stated this, do we have the right coach/coaches for baseball?

That's 3 CWS trips in the last 4 postseasons. In other words, 2 elite eights and a final 4 in 4 seasons. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator

Nice work out of the bullpen from @BWilk55

Thank you, sir.

 

I was able to do spotty coverage on Twitter from the plane, but with the delay and no video, carrying it over to here would've been a beatdown for those trying to follow along.  Appreciate the assist.

 

HookEm.  Now let's kick some ass in Omaha. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, BWilk55 said:

I kid I kid. He was stellar today. Definitely had the best pitching performance out of anyone on the mound this weekend. 

Sometimes the hardest thing to do as a pitcher, or a hitter for that matter, is to not let prior struggles effect your current opportunity. He didn’t. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/11/2022 at 11:58 AM, BWilk55 said:

Yes, yes we do. 

This year hasn't been what we've wanted but we are 2 wins from Omaha.

Hard to question him bringing in Stevens as the reliever last night - and it might have worked too had Hodo not assisted a fly out over the fence. Surprised to see Nixon but at that point we are already down a handful of runs and it may have been a move to preserve the favored arms.

I hope to eat crow, I truly do but we'll see. Luckily the team came back and won the games they needed to get back to Omaha!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some interesting match-ups starting Friday in Omaha.

blow u vs. aggy hoping a meteor could hit and the Omaha staff could clean up the field and stands for our game with ND.

Stanford v. Arkie could be a good game

Hate the Ole Miss v. Auburn game.

But that is 4 SEC and of you consider that blow u and us are heading there in a year or 2.  Baseball team can't have the issues we have seen with this team and previous teams of ours. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/13/2022 at 8:27 AM, tejasrulz said:

I hope to eat crow, I truly do but we'll see. Luckily the team came back and won the games they needed to get back to Omaha!

 

What exactly is the eating crow threshold for you on this one? Pierce has gone to the CWS 3/4 seasons, 3/5 in his Texas career. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BWilk55 said:

What exactly is the eating crow threshold for you on this one? Pierce has gone to the CWS 3/4 seasons, 3/5 in his Texas career. 

I'd like to see fewer fundamental errors made by the team. This year Texas has made a lot and some, if not most, I would point to the coaches. The latest example being Game 2 of the Super when Hodo got thrown out at 2nd. 

Why didn't he slide? Did he think it was a full count? The 1st base coach should have been telling him after every pitch what the count was. As ugly as that was, I thought he made it watching it live which replay confirmed he was safe. Why didn't the coaches challenge the call? Luckily it didn't bite us in the arse however if Texas did challenge it, we could have possibly scored a lot more that inning. However, we won and I'm happy for that. 

So it appears to me that we have made some bad decisions and luckily we have the talent to win some of those games most other teams would lose. 

Be that said, HOOK'EM!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, tejasrulz said:

I'd like to see fewer fundamental errors made by the team. This year Texas has made a lot and some, if not most, I would point to the coaches. The latest example being Game 2 of the Super when Hodo got thrown out at 2nd. 

Why didn't he slide? Did he think it was a full count? The 1st base coach should have been telling him after every pitch what the count was. As ugly as that was, I thought he made it watching it live which replay confirmed he was safe. Why didn't the coaches challenge the call? Luckily it didn't bite us in the arse however if Texas did challenge it, we could have possibly scored a lot more that inning. However, we won and I'm happy for that. 

So it appears to me that we have made some bad decisions and luckily we have the talent to win some of those games most other teams would lose. 

Be that said, HOOK'EM!

 

Hodo didn't slide because he though he heard contact (he said after the game). You can see him looking back to the batter to find the ball. Really more of a weird happenstance than anything else. 

I thought he was safe live too. Pierce did say he relies on the players a lot when it comes to challenging calls, Hodo was so discombobulated on that play he probably didn't know what to think. Pierce did have a good view of the call from 3rd base and I do wish he had challenged.

The coaching isn't perfect but I don't think you'll ever get perfection. Big picture, Pierce has had significant amounts of post-season success and that is honestly what matters the most, to me at least.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The CWS bracket is quite interesting without a lot of seeded teams making it in this year.

Stanford is the highest seed at 2, with A&M at 5, Texas 9 and Auburn 14. Auburn, Ole Miss, OU and Arkansas all made it after being on the road the entire tournament. Crazy that only 2 super regional hosts advanced.

Looking at RPI, of course everyone in the CWS saw jumps in RPI after winning multiple games against high ranked opponents, many of them as the road team. Stanford 2, Notre Dame 4, Auburn 5, OU 6, Texas 7, A&M 8, Ole Miss 19, Arkansas 20.

And yet another way to look at things. @Statsowar does a lot of advanced metric breakdowns. He had Texas at a 60+% chance to beat ECU in Supers. 

It think Stanford and then Auburn are the favorites on their side of the bracket.

The Texas side is going to be a blood bath it looks like. Just like in the regional, it will be very important for Texas to get in and stay in the winners bracket. I would much rather play 3 or 4 games then 5.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, BWilk55 said:

What exactly is the eating crow threshold for you on this one? Pierce has gone to the CWS 3/4 seasons, 3/5 in his Texas career. 

I haven’t posted on the baseball thread in a long time.

Pierce has made and continues to make too many mistakes as the third base coach. In the dugout I think he’s fine. And some would say you can’t argue with success. But we’ve had a lot of base running mistakes that were created by the third base coach which happens to be the head coach.

Hook’em

I’m sure Joey recalls my bitching about the third base coach starting about four years ago.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • joeywa unpinned this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share


Our Affiliation

USATDP_Logo.png

Quick Links

×
×
  • Create New...