Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

**2022 CWS Baseball Thread**

Somewhat obvious statement but I think it is pivotal that Texas start off the regional 2-0. If we can't get wins from Hansen and Gordon will we be in a bit of trouble. 

A 2-0 start gives us two chances to win one game in order to advance. Starting 1-1 means we have to win 3 games in a row and will have to do so with less than stellar pitching options.

6 hours ago, BWilk55 said:

Somewhat obvious statement but I think it is pivotal that Texas start off the regional 2-0. If we can't get wins from Hansen and Gordon will we be in a bit of trouble. 

A 2-0 start gives us two chances to win one game in order to advance. Starting 1-1 means we have to win 3 games in a row and will have to do so with less than stellar pitching options.

Maybe better use of bullpen might help. There is some effecive reliefers just do not see them till after damage is done.

3 hours ago, Eastexhorn said:

Maybe better use of bullpen might help. There is some effecive reliefers just do not see them till after damage is done.

I think your criticism of the pitching management in the big12 tournament is a bit unfair. 

First 2 games were what we needed, long outings by our #1 and #2 starters and then coach Pierce made the right bullpen decisions to close those victories out. Game 3 went off the rails when our #3 starter got roughed up for 6 early runs. The bullpen after that point gave up only 2 runs in 6 innings of work. Game 4 was a masterclass in piecing a full 9 innings together with bullpen arms, 5 relievers pitched 9 innings and gave up 2 runs. By the time game 5 (5th game in 4 days) came around, most of the top arms had been used up. Stehle was a good choice for the starter but he got roughed up as did Nixon. Nixon hadn't been used once all weekend and Texas needed him in that moment. He didn't perform but that doesn't mean it was the wrong call by Pierce or Coach Allen.

That is why I am saying we really need that 2-0 start so that we avoid another game 5 and possibly wrap things up in 3 games.

A bit unfair tell me puting Nixon was awise decision. I will apolige at court house and give you 5 hours to draw a crowd.

Plus this is not only bad choice but over anddone. On to Omaha.

47 minutes ago, Eastexhorn said:

A bit unfair tell me puting Nixon was awise decision. I will apolige at court house and give you 5 hours to draw a crowd.

Plus this is not only bad choice but over anddone. On to Omaha.

Nixon would be my last choice as a reliever in a pinch. If I'm the coach he gets nothing but trash time. His WHIP is top five on the team and he has the most IP in that group.

17 minutes ago, joeywa said:

Just a heads up, I will be at the Austin Regional, but as a fan, and as such won’t be doing inning by inning updates here or PBP on Twitter. 

🤘🏼🐂⚾

Good for you!  If anyone deserves to be able to sit, watch and just enjoy a game it's you!!!  Have fun brotha! And thank you for all you've done regarding keeping us updated on our baseball team. HOOK 'EM!!!

1 hour ago, TB14 said:

Interesting that Texas is going Hansen today. They have been holding the #1 starter for game 2 in previous Regionals. Thought we may see Gordon today.

Air Force will be throwing an All American pitcher tonight. wonder if that plays into the thinking. We really need a win today and can't be too cute about the pitching staff.

1 hour ago, TB14 said:

Interesting that Texas is going Hansen today. They have been holding the #1 starter for game 2 in previous Regionals. Thought we may see Gordon today.

I think the thought process is the 4-seeds they've faced in previous regionals haven't had a pitcher like Paul Skenes who can carry a team. Air Force hasn't played like a 4-seed when he is on the mound.

Bad AF defense led to two runs in the first but a really good play by their second basemen to make a diving catch up the middle stole a basehit and at least 1 RBI from Melendez.

Hansen looking good so far. A few mistake pitches with 2 outs that got hit hard in the second inning allowing AF to score a run.

Top 3: Hansen gets two quick outs. Loses a batter on 1-2 count after being squeezed a few times by the ump and ends up walking him. Gives up another hard hit ball and a run scores. 2-2 in the middle of the 3rd

Bottom 3:

Stehly rips a ground rule double to left to lead off the inning. 

Austin Todd grounds out to SS but makes Skenes through about 10 pitches to earn the first out.

Messinger rips a 7th pitch single into right field. Bad decision to send Stehly home but the relay throw bounces in and the catcher can't get a tag down fast enough. Texas up 3-2

Bottom 3 cont:

Ardoin strikes out for out #2.

Air Force defense giveth and taketh. Dylan Campbell crushes a ball to the fence in left-center but it is tracked down and caught while crashing into the wall by AF left fielder.  

To the 4th, Texas up 3-2. AF pitcher Skenes already at 85 pitches. Can't imagine he'll be able to throw much longer, especially in this Texas heat.

A few hard hit balls in the top of the 4th including a single but Hansen gets a strike out to strand the runner. Hansen at 70 pitches. Hopefully he can work a few more quick innings and get us through at least 7 innings.

• joeywa unpinned this topic