Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

**Big12 Baseball Tournament Thread**

B4

Southard issues a leadoff walk, FC & KS gets 2 outs

Another walk puts runners on 1&2, and with 2 lefties coming up, Pierce makes the move to the pen for Harrison

Harrison walks the bases full, but gets a U3 to escape unscathed.

Horns up 7-1 thru 4

2 minutes ago, Eastexhorn said:

Hope there is a starterready to pitch. Coach using up bullpen and only the4 th.

Doubt if relivers can finish the game.

Bullpen has been fine so far.  Given up 2 hits and 1 run.  Stevens prob has 3-4 frames if you need him.  I think Pierce and Allen are managing this pretty well so far. 

T5

Faltine with his 2nd double in as many ABs with 1 out

With 2 outs, OSU goes to the pen for lefty.

Pierce PHs for Kennedy with Campbell.  Campbell rips an RBI triple over the head of the CF.  Horns up 8-1

Melendez RBI single; Horns up 9-1

Stehly HBP

Todd up; 1-1 pitch gets away, 2 RISP on the PB.  F7 ends the frame

Horns up 9-1 headed B5

T8

Nothing doing for the Horns in the 8th.

B8

Olivarez gives up B2B 1 out singles, but that's it.  Retires the next two to end the frame

Horns up 9-2 headed to the 9th

14 minutes ago, joeywa said:

T8

Nothing doing for the Horns in the 8th.

B8

Olivarez gives up B2B 1 out singles, but that's it.  Retires the next two to end the frame

Horns up 9-2 headed to the 9th

2 scoreless innings from Olivarez? You don't say? Count me as first on board the Olivarez fan club. 21.2 innings pitched and 1 ER on the year.

Just now, HORNfromETX said:

@joeywa, you think this all but locks up a top 16 spot?

Without question.  Too many speed bumps during the season, (by the team's own doing,) will prevent them from being a Top 8.  Unless something truly unforseen and weird happens, I think top 8 has sailed.  But Top 16 is a given.

7 minutes ago, joeywa said:

Stevens comes in B9 and shuts OSU down

Horns win and will play OU in the championship tomorrow evening.

In 4 big 12 conference tournament games, we have yet to see Aaron Nixon pitch. He must be way down the list of arms in the pen at this point. figure we will see him tomorrow.

Ladies will have a tough way to go as both Okie and Okie lite have advanced. Plus Oregon St.

23 minutes ago, BWilk55 said:

2 scoreless innings from Olivarez? You don't say? Count me as first on board the Olivarez fan club. 21.2 innings pitched and 1 ER on the year.

To me Olivarez and Southard have done he best of relivers.

2 hours ago, Eastexhorn said:

Ladies will have a tough way to go as both Okie and Okie lite have advanced. Plus Oregon St.

To me Olivarez and Southard have done he best of relivers.

Luke Harrison has to be in that mix too, he and Southard have ERAs in the low 3s. Olivarez has an ERA of 0.42.

3 hours ago, joeywa said:

Without question.  Too many speed bumps during the season, (by the team's own doing,) will prevent them from being a Top 8.  Unless something truly unforseen and weird happens, I think top 8 has sailed.  But Top 16 is a given.

RPI back up to 11 after the win today. OU is #24 in RPI so a loss shouldn't be too damaging and a win would be a nice bump. Does seem like anywhere from 9-16 is a possibility at this point. 

Really good stuff right here from Eric Sorenson of D1Baseball.com this evening:

– RPI, NCAA bids, home Regionals, etc.

Lots of talk around here about who will host and who will make it and who won’t. The look for the Big 12 is this… 

No. 10 RPI Oklahoma State is IN for a home Regional

No. 12 RPI Texas is IN for a home Regional but could also move up to a Top 8 with a win vs. OU.

No. 24 RPI Oklahoma could vault up to a top 16 and host a Regional with a win vs. Texas. If they lose? Then a solid two-seed.

No. 36 RPI TCU has the only hopes that the selection committee heavily rewards regular season champions and takes the RPI with a sizable grain of salt.

No. 45 RPI Texas Tech is nearing the bubble but should be okay as long as the number of upsets and “stolen bids” is low.

No. 50 RPI West Virginia could be in trouble. I said they were a no-brainer for the Big Dance in my write-up last night. But daaaaaaaamn, I did not anticipate THIS much of a plunge in their RPI ranking. Now I am fearing the worst. Again, this is a team that tied Texas in the Big 12 standings might miss the NCAAs. Ouch. We’ll see. ”

One thing of interest regarding hosting; game time is 5 PM tonight. The NCAA will release the host sites at 7:30 PM, which means that there’s a high likelihood that the Texas/OU game will not be over. Now, what I don’t know is if they will just release the 16 host sites with no specific number/ranking to them, rather waiting until the selection show on Monday to assign seedings to the sites at that time. I suppose we will see tomorrow. To me, that would make the most sense, but this is the NCAA that we are talking about, so all sense is out the window. 

• joeywa unpinned this topic