**Season Series Finale: Texas Baseball vs Kansas Weekend Thread**

T4

Morehouse gets one out and puts two on.

In comes Stevens.

Gets the 2nd out

Gives up a 2 RBI double; loads the bases and gets a KS to end the frame

Texas trails 0-3 headed B4

T5

KU gets 2 more on a Kennedy error on a one-hopper to LF.

Stevens stays on, and is getting ridiculously pinched by Home Blue. 

With 2 outs, runners on 1&2, and an 0-1 count, Home Blue excuses himself from the game due to the heat.  We have a 15 minute delay for an umpire change. 

Returning from that, Stevens loads the bases with a walk, Harrison comes in to pitch and gets an F8 to end the frame

Horns trail 0-5 headed B5

B5

Daly gets a 1-out solo HR over LF; Horns trail 1-5

Horns load em up with 1 out on 2 HBP and a single.  Melendez SAC Fly plates one more.

Stehly FC ends the frame

Horns cut into the lead, and trail 2-5 thru 5 complete

T6

Harrison gets first batter out, gives up a walk and Pierce goes to the pen for matchups.  Calls on Southard

Southards KS the next two to end the frame

Horns trail 2-5 headed B6 with a lot of fire from both teams between innings.

B7

Horns get runners on 1&2 with 2 down.  Stehly RBI single cuts the lead to 3-5.  They load the bases, and Messinger sends one over the LF wall for a grand slam.  Horns up 7-5 thru 7 complete

Nixon on to pitch the 8th

Great end to regular season! Going to need a closer  to compete in up coming tournys. Two pitchers will doif no losses. If team loses they do not have adaquate pitching for looser bracket.

Do not know details but donot understant thepitching roatTion of relivers too qyick with the hook at times.

Disappointing to see Stevens and Nixon continue to struggle. Even with the staff hitting the reset button both have been shaky at best in their new roles. Gonna need the offense to continue putting up big numbers if we will see much success this postseason.

Glad to get the sweep of Kansas.  Glad to get to 39 wins, but we should've been closer to 50 or more wins if we are truly being honest.

One of the best defensive pct. for a team for a year. While the offense overall had a great yr. there were times that it wasn't.  The pitching lost it way early on and hasn't figured anything out.  Not certain who our pitching coach is, but maybe need a new and better one next yr.?  Figures that the LHN van would catch fire on the last game of the season; seems fitting with the weird stuff that has happened this yr.

We either win as a team or lose as a team.

If we can figure out the 4-5 game against I believe Okie Lite early Wednesday morning. Then we have a shot to win the tournament, but if not there would need to be WAY better pitching to do something in the Big 12 tournament.  The real tournament, which I care more about, anything can happen depending upon the draw.

12 hours ago, david ficken said:

Not certain who our pitching coach is, but maybe need a new and better one next yr.? 

The coach is Sean Allen. Last year he won the award for best assistant coach in the NCAA and led a pitching staff with the top ERA in the nation. I am not sure why things went off the rails so much with the pitching this year but I'd pump the breaks on pointing the finger at the coach.

My only fault with him is a reliver comes in 3 up 3 down. Next inning a new pitcher who some times can not find the plate.

Pitchers should be able to go more than one inning.

1 hour ago, Eastexhorn said:

My only fault with him is a reliver comes in 3 up 3 down. Next inning a new pitcher who some times can not find the plate.

Pitchers should be able to go more than one inning.

Pitchers should be able to go more than one inning, agreed. But there are circumstances to be taken into account. Had he pitched the previous game?  Did he start the midweek game?  We had to move all pitchers up one spot when Tanner Witt went down for the season. And then we had a couple of pitchers who didn’t live up to expectations. The coaching staff needed to find out if those pitchers could revert to their prior form; they didn’t.  But they had to find out. 

I expect to see different use of the pitching staff in the post season. The coaching staff has a full seasons data, they’ve seen the pitchers mentality, and they know what the pitchers have been dealing with. This is the staff’s sixth year. One year had no postseason, so until now they’ve had four chances and they have two College World Series.  

This Texas team is a good team. Great offense and defense with so so pitching. If the had Tanner Witt they would have still been a great team because if you remember Tanner was an inning eater high leverage reliever last year. This year Tanner was going to be Lucas Gordon. He would have been good. Instead he’s the 3rd starter. And no one has filled that role to lengthen the pen. 

I still think they can make a run with the offense. But then again I like me some Burnt Orange Koolaid. 

Irregardless of what the coach does the year before; all coaches are to be evaluated for the current year results.

Now, some could blame the umps for the strike zone, but the lack of development of the young pitchers is unbelievable. Irregardless of Lucas Gordon becoming the 2nd starter.  Stevens removing himself from starter to relief pitcher?  Nixon going from a plus closer to an unknown reliever and multiple of relief pitchers with no known role falls on the pitching coach/head coach for not having an idea of who and how to use the pitchers and when to make changes. None of this is due to Witt being hurt. But the coaches and the players ahould have been able to adjust and none didn't.  

Don't  throw the players under the bus without throwing the coaches for failing to adjust due to injuries. Injuries can happen at anytime and coaches should be able to adjust, and get the players to adjust and they didn't. 

• joeywa unpinned this topic