Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

View from the Cheap Seats-Spring game

View from the Cheap Seats-Spring Game

So full disclosure, more a very controlled scrimmage than an actual game. And never forget, spring games are largely zero sum games. If the offense looks good, that then highlights potential problems with the D and vice versa. What we often can glean is insight into specific players and this spring game was very interesting from that standpoint.

Clearly the #1 concern for most is the QB race. Spoiler alert, All World wunderkid Quinn Ewers is QB1 for TEXAS in 2022. Sark is being polite (and smart) claiming Card has a shot but that ship sailed the day Ewers committed. Barring Ewers completely melting down or injury of course. Sorry not sorry if we are bursting any bubbles or providing any spoilers. Still, Card will spend 2022 as QB2 and is one heart beat away from taking the reins. Both QBs had their moments, just based on this performance, neither took the job. Ewers had some great completions (the best likely a pass to J Sanders with a defender in his face) but an ugly/never should have been thrown INT.  Card has a very nice arm and is more a threat in the running game than Ewers.  He recorded some nice completions as well

So other than seeing some specific players in action, we will learn little to nothing from the Spring Game though ANY chance to see the Horns on the field is a great excuse to write a Cheap Seats. Will start focusing on players who stood out to us, our view of Sark and 2022 then break down our thoughts on the offensive position groups. Honestly, the D is such a question mark right now, not sure we’ll know much until we are deeper into the season. They gotta be better than last year but will they be good enough to keep an offense that will score lots points from winning? And if it starts rough, how long does Sark wait to turn it over to Gary Patterson?

Top players

Biggest head turner to the Cheap Seats was Isaiah Neyor who showed why he was so highly touted as a transfer kid. Recorded the 1st catch of the game where he caught a pass in the flat and juked a DB for a 17 yard gain. He also would record a beautiful slant TD from Ewers. A very lightly recruited 2 star coming out of Ft Worth (boy did Rivals miss on this one), he showed he has serious game. He would be our Offensive Player of the Game.

Roschon Johnson- Stop us if you have heard this before but the young man is simply a beast. Biggest play was a 55 yard run for a TD through the middle of the D. As we said, often a zero sum game. Enjoy him now, this senior will be drawing an NFL paycheck this time next year.

Xavier Worthy-Picking up where he left off as the top freshman WR in TEXAS history, he showed why he’s on the Biletnikoff watch list as a soph. Our WR group looks stout.

Keilen Robinson-Another Bama transfer who showed a few flashes last year, showed off his speed in the spring game.

Johnathan Brooks-Not to be outdone by his fellow RBs, JB opened with a nice 20 yard run. RB room is loaded.

Mo Blackwell-on a day where it was really hard to judge defensive play, this LB now converted to Safety made 3 BIG plays. Huge hit on Xaiver along the sidelines, big stop of J Sanders after a catch then a 3rd and goal stuff in the backfield of a RB. We confess, Mo was a pet cat of the Cheap Seats when he was recruited.

1st team OL-they looked good against the 1st team D. True freshman Cole Hutson started at right guard, Soph Hayden Conner at LT with Senior Junior Angilua at left guard, Soph Majors at Center and Senior Christian Jones at RT. Soph Andrej Karic was held out.

Thoughts on the upcoming season

In the history of TEXAS football, only 3 Head Coaches have losing seasons. Jack Chevigney of Norte Dame fame. We would lose him on Iwo Jima in World War II, Charlie “CFS” Strong who rivaled Johnny Makovic as the worst head coach in my lifetime (though Johnny Mon gave TEXAS some great moments including the 1st BigXII title in the new league’s history) and Sark. Sark needs to go 7-5 to have a career .500 record at TEXAS.

Someone else said, Sark’s an easy guy to like and cheer for, he is clearly an excellent recruiter and has raised the talent level of the Horns. The #1 question, is he a championship level Head Coach? We know his reputation as an excellent Offensive Coordinator though out biggest concern about him was play calling breakdowns in the 2nd half of 4 of our 6 losses in a row. We held halftime leads in those 4 games, we simply could not sustain drives to close out the games. Yes, the defense shares in some of that blame but when you stop running plays that work, when your best players are 2 outstanding RBs and a 3rd “change of pace type and you cannot get them into a position to succeed, questions are raised.

Not to belabor a year we'd like to forget but vs

• OU   outscored 35-10 in 2nd half  3 of 6 non scoring 2nd half drives were 3 and outs.   Sustain drives and we win
  • OSU  outscored 19-7 in the 2nd half, 6 of 7 drives 4 and out
  • Baylor outscored 21-10, 2 of 5 drives 3 and outs/turnovers

It has been said, the last time the “culture” on the 40 was changed was 2004 with the arrival of Greg Robinson and Dick Tomey. Gene Chizik got the ring but those two changed the culture. Can Sark bring about that level of change? Barring another 5-7 season, this recruiting class gives him 2023 for sure. But TEXAS needs to show year over year improvement. And one key recruitment left and he could seriously impact the play of the D in 2022, Ochaun Mathis. TEXAS needs a Joseph Ossai level disruptor and OM can be that guy who makes everyone around him better.

We see this season as 8-4. Way too early projections:

La-Monroe Win

Bama LOSS

UTSA, the mighty Road Runners Win

@TT Win but it’s in Lubbock

WVU Win

OU Toss up

ISU Win as they lost a ton

@OSU LOSS They are likely the conference favorite pre season

@KSU Win

TCU Toss up

@Kansas Win

Baylor Toss Up/leaning loss Oddly scheduled as a Sat game so T+1 maybe over

Offensive Position Group breakdown

QBs 

Well we have loads of talent. The most talent om the QB room since the VY days? Possibly though very little experience. Ewers, Card Maalik Murray and Charles Wright, simply the greatest name in TEXAS football history, make for a nice 4 headed QB room with walk on Ben Ballard. Charles Wright appears to be QB3 this year as he was the 3rd QB off the bench. We assume MM shirts. And do we land a Manning for 2023?

RBs

The most loaded position for the Longhorns in 2022 highlighted by Heisman candidate BiJion Robinson, backed up by Roschon Johnson who would start for every other team in the BigXII save KSU. RB1 & RB2 likely in their last season in Burnt Orange. The spring game featured the future at the position. Keileen Robinson, Jonathan Brooks and Jayden Blue. KR is EXPLOSIVE and Jonathan Brooks off for 20 on his 1st carry.

WR 

Arguably the 2nd most loaded position group on the team lead by Belitnikoff candidate Soph Xavier Worthy. Marcus Washington has had an excellent spring but is in a serious battle for his spot with portal transfer Isaiah Neyor, one of the top portal recruits available. They are joined by slot receiver Jordan “if he can stay healthy then he’s a star” Whittington. Neyor with the 1st catch of the spring game and he showed why he was so coveted. Juked a DB to gain 17 off a pass to the flat. Nor would that be his last grab. There is also a unicorn on the team and rumors are that Troy Omeire may or may not be available in the fall.

TE

This is one of the more interesting stories coming out of spring drills. The position is wide open this year with the departure of Cade Brewer and transfer of Jared Wiley. Reports are that Ja’Tavion Sanders has shown his star potential this spring and that Bama transfer Jaheel Billingsley is quickly learning the system. Both could be weapons in the passing game and both had catches in the spring game. Sark has used TEs heavily in the past but last year our 3 TEs combined for just 32 catches. Juan Davis is the only returning TE to record a catch and he only had 1. He and Gunnar Helm back up SJ & JB and give the Horns a very athletic TE room.

OL 

Now we come to the biggest question mark on the offense. The good news, there is an abundance of talent arriving on campus. Bad news, ZERO experience comes with them. We have 7 inbound OLs, we are predicting that 2 of them are starters by the Red River War and that 3 more are solidly in the 2 deep this year. Growing pains ahead for sure but in 2023 and 2024 we should see serious dividends.

Hope you enjoyed our takes, 5 months till real football.

Spring game highlights

Good write up. 

I would only count Bama as a loss, but closer than most might think. OU, Baylor as toss ups. Both ISU and Okie Lite lost lots of super seniors. But Okie Lite will still be a challenge because of Sanders and Warren on offense, but  their defense loses several players.

We actually have 2 legit TEs first the 1st time since the Cash brothers, Keith and Kerry. 

No useless safeties like Foster and Scholar like last year will help the defense. 

18 hours ago, david ficken said:

Good write up. 

I would only count Bama as a loss, but closer than most might think. OU, Baylor as toss ups. Both ISU and Okie Lite lost lots of super seniors. But Okie Lite will still be a challenge because of Sanders and Warren on offense, but  their defense loses several players.

We actually have 2 legit TEs first the 1st time since the Cash brothers, Keith and Kerry. 

No useless safeties like Foster and Scholar like last year will help the defense. 

OU, breaking in new offense with new QB and depleted WR room. I like our chances.

Baylor will be a tough, tough game. We'll be lucky to win it.

I'm not as enamored with Okie Lite or ISU as others are. 

I agree and I think our secondary will be better across the board.

4 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

OU, breaking in new offense with new QB and depleted WR room. I like our chances.

Baylor will be a tough, tough game. We'll be lucky to win it.

I'm not as enamored with Okie Lite or ISU as others are. 

I agree and I think our secondary will be better across the board.

We agree on alot of this. Okie Lite lost like 3-4 OL guys as thet were super seniors,  or whateverlast year seniors were called. Plus like 8-9 seniors/super seniors on defense. ISU lost as many as OSU. I only give blowu a toss up due to it being a rivalry  game, but we should beat them easily. 

No Foster and no Scholar? however he spells his name, both are additions by subtraction.  My only concern  is not seeing a lot more from Coffey in the scrimmage. Was he hurt? Did I miss  that?  He may become just 1 more guy  we missed on. Hope not though.

On 4/25/2022 at 3:52 PM, tejasrulz said:

That would be a very bad loss

19 hours ago, UTfish said:

Certainly agree, but I think Cheese is calling it a win for us.

Yes,

Poorly written on my part.   The wins/losses/toss ups are for TEXAS.

I graduated from UTSA, thus the source of the commentary

Thanks for the comments and reading my passion project.