Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

NIL and Collectives

What do people think about NIL and collectives? Specifically, how they lack transparency for both athletes and fans and don't seem to work for anyone except the big money donors and the big stars. It doesn't seem much better than pre-NIL. We still don't know how much money players are getting paid and I don't know how to get involved. What if I just want to give $100 or $1000 over the course of a season? Or direct my money only to certain players instead of funding a dark pool controlled by some insider taking an unknown cut of the proceeds? Curious to hear people's thoughts. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/28/2022 at 7:44 AM, Eastexhorn said:

Leaves a lot of unanswered questions.I wouldnever give money to a university ath. Thier free rideis worth ebough, thuogh most do nor realize it.

Full cost of attendance at UT is about 29 thousand (2018-2019 data). It's not a bad chunk of change but is it really in line with the value these football players bring to the university?

NFL profited about 12 billion dollars, Power 5 schools combined for about 2 billion. So let's say that a power 5 footballer is 6 times less valuable than a NFL player. The NFL salary cap is 208 million so a comparable NCAA salary cap would be about 35 million. Share that evenly amongst all 85 scholarship players and an average value per player would be about 400k a year. 

Some assumptions made in the above example, and I am not claiming to know what the best solution would be (or would have been) but it is clear to me that their free ride is definitely not worth enough.

Or the hybrid system we have now, where kids are getting a college education but also can get paid? The system of paying them is not very efficient right now, though. Only rich donors seem to be able to participate in the current NIL system. What if I want to pay $10 or $100/month to a team to improve it (like Horns with Heart)?

20 hours ago, BWilk55 said:

<MATH deleted>

Some assumptions made in the above example, and I am not claiming to know what the best solution would be (or would have been) but it is clear to me that their free ride is definitely not worth enough.

Agree.  Back in the 20th century just the education might have been considered enough, but these days with the amount of money sports brings to the schools, definitely the players should share in that.

1 hour ago, Eastexhorn said:

85 footballers get about 400K each. What about the other sports there is more of them than footballers. Discrimation?

The 400k was just a number showing what it would look like for college football players if they were compensated in a similar fashion as NFL players based on the profit they produce.

You could do similar for all the other sports, except, after the top producers, I imagine most college sports teams are unprofitable. 

There is no discrimination because you are being paid as an individual by other individuals, not the school. Probably one reason the NCAA did not act on the NIL stuff, because if they set up particular payments based on school, sport, gender, they would be accused of discrimination.

5 hours ago, BWilk55 said:

The 400k was just a number showing what it would look like for college football players if they were compensated in a similar fashion as NFL players based on the profit they produce.

You could do similar for all the other sports, except, after the top producers, I imagine most college sports teams are unprofitable. 

There is no discrimination because you are being paid as an individual by other individuals, not the school. Probably one reason the NCAA did not act on the NIL stuff, because if they set up particular payments based on school, sport, gender, they would be accused of discrimination.

This above.  It's not up to the player or the university to say. the amount that each  kid in each sport to disclose what if anything they are getting in the NIL deals.  Nor do any of the donors that are doing it.  The university,  NCAA, and donors don't  want discrimination lawsuits. Duh!   

As long as the donors and the university  compliance department are in agreement with the state law who cares who gets paid money and how the money that the player gets is used.

On 4/28/2022 at 7:44 AM, Eastexhorn said:

Leaves a lot of unanswered questions.I wouldnever give money to a university ath. Thier free rideis worth ebough, thuogh most do nor realize it.

I did'na come to State U to play no skool

Player has no say in how much money. Then why are some holding out for money. Why is other schools offering more money to try to get players to enter portal. Its legal but cheaters will still cheat.

Big can of worms to me.

Here's a question. What group of people, other than college athletes of two years ago, are restricted in their ability to make money based on their name, image and likeness? I can't think of any examples, and that is why the Supreme Court ripped the NCAA apart for restricting NIL for college athletes. 

“Nowhere else in America can a business get away with agreeing not to pay their workers a fair market rate on the theory that their product is defined by not paying their workers a fair market rate. … The NCAA is not above the law.”  

Neil Gorsuch Supreme Court 

11 minutes ago, Wayne said:

“Nowhere else in America can a business get away with agreeing not to pay their workers a fair market rate on the theory that their product is defined by not paying their workers a fair market rate. … The NCAA is not above the law.”  

Neil Gorsuch Supreme Court 

And not only was the NCAA not paying players (they still aren't) but they were also blocking the ability for athletes to be paid by outside entities.

On 5/2/2022 at 3:36 AM, david ficken said:

This above.  It's not up to the player or the university to say. the amount that each  kid in each sport to disclose what if anything they are getting in the NIL deals.  Nor do any of the donors that are doing it.  The university,  NCAA, and donors don't  want discrimination lawsuits. Duh!   

As long as the donors and the university  compliance department are in agreement with the state law who cares who gets paid money and how the money that the player gets is used.

Would you still have the same opinion if players get paid to throw games?   Don’t think sports betting has enough money flowing through it that organized crime won’t interfere? 

1 hour ago, UT1983 said:

Would you still have the same opinion if players get paid to throw games?   Don’t think sports betting has enough money flowing through it that organized crime won’t interfere? 

I have some other stuff to take care of, but will fully respond on Wednesday. 

8 hours ago, UT1983 said:

What is the relevance of this question to NIL? This type of payment was illegal before NIL and is still illegal after NIL. Heck, you can't even use NIL payments as a way of rewarding positive play on the field.

3 minutes ago, Eastexhorn said:

Workers? I always thought sports were played for fun.,

If paid they are workers now.More cheating now than ever.

Sports for fun? Sports have been played professionally for over a century in the US. There has been a split between professional and amateur leagues but it is clear that college football is big business, a 2 billion dollar industry for power 5 schools. Hard to justify rewarding the labor with 40 thousand in scholarships when they are producing millions for the school. So yes, maybe we should start treating them as employees.

16 hours ago, UT1983 said:

We have had to scandals in what the last 7 years? Busting coaches, students, businesses, and parents for pushing players, students, non athletic students on athletic scholarships to certain schools and etc. if I'm not mistaken.  The FBI busted and got them some of them jail time. They have done so in the past and will continue to do so they if provided proof of players taking bribes to throw games. 

The NIL deals are to be on the up and up. If they aren't the FBI and IRS will have field days busting these donors, these agents/parents for these kids, and unfortunately some of these kids.