Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Riley to usc

tejasrulz

9 minutes ago, 83Dee said:

I disagree.  Sure motivating people to play hard is a part of coaching football.  A big part. The fact that several players lacked effort and started all year is a concerning bullet-point for this coach.

Doing what football players do is extra-ordinary.  Good coaches motivate players to do things that go against human nature.  One way to motivate is the bench on the sideline.  Sark chose not to use it.

Again, I’m not advocating he get run out of town.  Only pointing out that I understand  concern... even off the cuff emotional reactions  like “fire the coach!”  There’s good reason behind the concern.  

Well, thats one way of looking at it.

Not a real wise way, IMO. This is short-sighted, only looking at the here and now and ignoring what you can and can't do with mindsets that were made before he ever arrived. You don't look back at 18 and 19 classes or the lack of upperclassman leadership. Not all football players are extraordinary. Some just look the part and play something else. See our 5-star OT Tyler Johnson who never played. You say Sark never used the bench, yet he used it for the most important position on the field early in the season. I can name others. Did that motivate Card? Mmm, I don't think so.

1 hour ago, 83Dee said:

I disagree.  Sure motivating people to play hard is a part of coaching football.  A big part. The fact that several players lacked effort and started all year is a concerning bullet-point for this coach.

Doing what football players do is extra-ordinary.  Good coaches motivate players to do things that go against human nature.  One way to motivate is the bench on the sideline.  Sark chose not to use it.

Again, I’m not advocating he get run out of town.  Only pointing out that I understand  concern... even off the cuff emotional reactions  like “fire the coach!”  There’s good reason behind the concern.  

This is a double edged sword.  We are taking opposite sides.  Of course coaches motivate players as its part of their job but what happens when the player decides to be non receptive?  You blame the coaches and I blame the player.  Both are getting something to represent.  So both are culpable.  I dont know what Sark is doing to motivate these players and neither do you but the difference is we ALL saw Foster going half speed on the field, nonchalantly.  Sark saw it, we saw it, and Sark benched him.  I also heard he brought inspirational speakers or whatever it was to deal with the psychology of the team.  What else do you expect him to do?  Sometimes you can try to motivate people but in the end its up to the person to actually do it.  All the coach can do is bench them. 

Too many of these players on this team give half ass effort.  How many players do you see playing with the intensity of RoJo or hell even half of his toughness and determination.  Maybe Worthy and maybe Schooler (although his talent isnt where it should be) 

I will take less talented players who give it their all then some of these former 5* star slackers, like Foster, any day.

1 hour ago, 83Dee said:

Again, I’m not advocating he get run out of town.  Only pointing out that I understand  concern... even off the cuff emotional reactions  like “fire the coach!”  There’s good reason behind the concern.  

Motivation has to come from within. The bench in your example is a consequence, or punishment, for poor effort or performance. I agree, though. Why didn't Sark "get tough" earlier? Foster should've sat down weeks ago.

3 minutes ago, DMAC said:

This is a double edged sword.  We are taking opposite sides.  Of course coaches motivate players as its part of their job but what happens when the player decides to be non receptive?  You blame the coaches and I blame the player.  Both are getting something to represent.  So both are culpable.  I dont know what Sark is doing to motivate these players and neither do you but the difference is we ALL saw Foster going half speed on the field, nonchalantly.  Sark saw it, we saw it, and Sark benched him.  I also heard he brought inspirational speakers or whatever it was to deal with the psychology of the team.  What else do you expect him to do?  Sometimes you can try to motivate people but in the end its up to the person to actually do it.  All the coach can do is bench them. 

Too many of these players on this team give half ass effort.  How many players do you see playing with the intensity of RoJo or hell even half of his toughness and determination.  Maybe Worthy and maybe Schooler (although his talent isnt where it should be) 

I will take less talented players who give it their all then some of these former 5* star slackers, like Foster, any day.

I'd rather watch and support 3* players who give it their all than 5* slackers, but the data says we need the highly-ranked kids to win championships. It sucks when they decide not to give their best efforts. Then it's either sit 'em or run 'em off.

A coach's job didn't get easier with the portal's one, "Get out of jail FREE" card.

2 minutes ago, J.B. TexasEx said:

I'd rather watch and support 3* players who give it their all than 5* slackers, but the data says we need the highly-ranked kids to win championships. It sucks when they decide not to give their best efforts. Then it's either sit 'em or run 'em off.

A coach's job didn't get easier with the portal's one, "Get out of jail FREE" card.

Its true so its his job to find kids that are both talented and self motivated.  Wasnt it Sark who convinced Worthy to come here.  So there is one.

So far it doesnt look good.  Whether Sark can turn this around or not, history doesnt favor it from his past record as a HC nor our HC carousel with hot coordinators becoming HC's.  I wanted Urban but hell if I didnt like that asshat Herman I probably would have hated Urban after every loss. 

Did some of you miss the Saban rant this past week?  His rant may have been towards the fans, but in reality that was totally towards his players. Few head coaches get away with that, but Saban is about the only one.  Niot even Sweeney could do that. 

Saban has quite frankly held a lot back if honest.  He maybe doing this "coach speak" thing that some claim. But why divide the locker room like MENSA JACKASS Herman did quite often. To make you feel better while having more players quit. Great idea 🤣!

12 hours ago, DMAC said:

Yea I left him out intentionally.  I am going to give him more time just like I did the Herman and Strong.  I turned on both Strong and Herman both for different reasons.  Herman was fkn man child and arrogant pos.  Strong was a good man just fkn clueless.  Sark has had one year and yea it sucked but I think 2 more years.  Most of you guys turned on Sark after his 3rd loss which is about right for typical Texas fans.  Some of you never backed Sark to begin with.  Right now you all have the Depp gun loaded but if Sark does turn it around I will remember the fire Sark crowd.  There ya go, some shade from me.

I agree with you 100%.  Everyone seems to look back on last seasons 7-3 record and think we were only 3 plays from 10-0. We were also 4 plays away from 2-6 with no bowl game.  

This year we were 3-2 in games that were more than 1 possession games.  We were six plays away from 10-2 and 2 plays away from 3-10.  The talent was essentially flat year over year and so were the results except the balls bounced better last year.  We have to get back to the point that we win decisively.  We haven't done that since 2009. 

It's a change in mindset and it isn't easy.  You have to have buy in and players that won't give up.  I saw a few of them this year and also plenty of guys not playing all out.  The offense is a couple of linemen away from being good enough and probably gets most of the way there next year.  The defense needs a reset.  The guys that played with passion weren't always the most talented.  And there weren't may that played with passion.  We saw some on defense... not enough.  D'shawn didn't give up on the QB run and almost forced a fumble.  But a couple of others players did give up.  Maybe they could have forced the fumble.  We need a roster of defensive players that makes its so that if you give up on a play you don't have a job.  But with no depth issues on defense this year, it wasn't possible.  

One more thing, I think Depp had a bad weekend. We won, Oklahoma lost a game and a coach. (can't believe he put an OU sucks championship ring on this board).

48 minutes ago, Wayne said:

One more thing, I think Depp had a bad weekend. We won, Oklahoma lost a game and a coach. (can't believe he put an OU sucks championship ring on this board).

I missed the ring post but it doesn't surprise me. Did anyone save a link to it?

13 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Well, thats one way of looking at it.

Not a real wise way, IMO. This is short-sighted, only looking at the here and now and ignoring what you can and can't do with mindsets that were made before he ever arrived. You don't look back at 18 and 19 classes or the lack of upperclassman leadership. Not all football players are extraordinary. Some just look the part and play something else. See our 5-star OT Tyler Johnson who never played. You say Sark never used the bench, yet he used it for the most important position on the field early in the season. I can name others. Did that motivate Card? Mmm, I don't think so.

QB is a different animal.  You don’t want your QB to be afraid that he’s losing his job due to mistakes.  It’s a difference of fine vs gross motor skills.

With regard to benching players - I’m specifically talking about a lack of effort.  Lack of effort should find you on the bench.  It should not be tolerated.  I posted a video somewhere on hornsports where specific players were cited as not pursuing hard on defense aka lack of effort.  

You’re arguing against something I didn’t mean to say.  I’m well aware not all players are extraordinary players.   I am saying that Football players are asked to do extraordinary things.  Your average joe isn’t going to sprint 40 yards and run into someone sprinting towards him... or go up for a pass knowing he will be clocked in the air.  THIS requires a coach who can motivate.  That is what I’m saying. 

1 hour ago, 83Dee said:

QB is a different animal.  You don’t want your QB to be afraid that he’s losing his job due to mistakes.  It’s a difference of fine vs gross motor skills.

With regard to benching players - I’m specifically talking about a lack of effort.  Lack of effort should find you on the bench.  It should not be tolerated.  I posted a video somewhere on hornsports where specific players were cited as not pursuing hard on defense aka lack of effort.  

You’re arguing against something I didn’t mean to say.  I’m well aware not all players are extraordinary players.   I am saying that Football players are asked to do extraordinary things.  Your average joe isn’t going to sprint 40 yards and run into someone sprinting towards him... or go up for a pass knowing he will be clocked in the air.  THIS requires a coach who can motivate.  That is what I’m saying. 

As a former QB, you missed by a mile. You're ALWAYS aware of that guy behind you. Competition breeds excellence at all positions, including QB. You're the better option partly because you have to be.

I don't think you'll find a single coach in the land who will coach a WR to go get clocked for a pass. The extent of their effort, aka those extraordinary things, is up to the player.

Maybe you should be asking instead of asserting.