Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Riley to usc

tejasrulz

46 minutes ago, NEOkHorn said:

The Sports Animal radio guys are speculating Venables gets a call. Not sure they will go for a defensive guy but he would be a good hire for them.

He’s a great coordinator, no doubt!  But that doesn’t necessarily mean he will be a great head coach… A little more of a gamble hiring a coordinator.

1 hour ago, NEOkHorn said:

Expect a big time raise and if the rumors were true that there was discontent, I'd expect he will take Grinch or how ever you spell his name with him to be his DC. Could be a complete staff overhaul in Norman.

Could you expound… Discontent? Riley? Grinch?

21 minutes ago, 83Dee said:

There's been a bunch of discontent at OU this year. They didn't beat people like fans expected them to. They boo'd their Heisman frontrunner QB for three games straight before a switch was made. I heard they boo'd him too during game before OSU.

So there has been an abundance of pressure there this year. I guess he woke up and said "Geez, all this and I still live in Norman f'ing Oklahoma."

I don't want to say USC was the more attractive job for him. But I think he had achieved all he could at a place like OU. If he turns USC around, he will achieve greatness.

34 minutes ago, 83Dee said:

Rumors have been swirling that there was pressure for him to move on from Grinch and bring in another DC. Also rumors that he has told friends and coaching colleagues that he has no interest in coaching in the SEC.

2 minutes ago, NEOkHorn said:

Also rumors that he has told friends and coaching colleagues that he has no interest in coaching in the SEC.

That was my first thought actually. Unless Riley was a USC alum, or some other pull there we don't know about, there's no other reason to leave. I've heard ou has money issues, but they would still find a way to make sure Riley was paid. 

13 minutes ago, 83Dee said:

What’s your point?

Im going to take a guess as in Strong and Herman both being great coordinators and mediocre head coaches.  Basically we know this from experience.

Edited by DMAC

2 minutes ago, DMAC said:

Im going to take a guess as in Strong and Herman both being great coordinators and mediocre head coaches.  Basically we know this from experience.

Okay, yea..... kind of the point I was trying to make.  That Venables isn’t necessarily a “great hire”’as a head coach.

gotcha.  

1 hour ago, NEOkHorn said:

I'd guess he was casting a little shade toward Sark as well. 

Yea I left him out intentionally.  I am going to give him more time just like I did the Herman and Strong.  I turned on both Strong and Herman both for different reasons.  Herman was fkn man child and arrogant pos.  Strong was a good man just fkn clueless.  Sark has had one year and yea it sucked but I think 2 more years.  Most of you guys turned on Sark after his 3rd loss which is about right for typical Texas fans.  Some of you never backed Sark to begin with.  Right now you all have the Depp gun loaded but if Sark does turn it around I will remember the fire Sark crowd.  There ya go, some shade from me.

Edited by DMAC

15 minutes ago, DMAC said:

Yea I left him out intentionally.  I am going to give him more time just like I did the Herman and Strong.  I turned on both Strong and Herman both for different reasons.  Herman was fkn man child and arrogant pos.  Strong was a good man just fkn clueless.  Sark has had one year and yea it sucked but I think 2 more years.  Most of you guys turned on Sark after his 3rd loss which is about right for typical Texas fans.  Some of you never backed Sark to begin with.  Right now you all have the Depp gun loaded but if Sark does turn it around I will remember the fire Sark crowd.  There ya go, some shade from me.

Val Kilmer Tombstone GIF by Giphy QA

29 minutes ago, DMAC said:

Then again.... how many years people on hornsports give Sark, or when forum chat people call for a coach to be fired doesn’t really matter in the grand scheme of things.

Sarks first Texas team got progressively worse sans the very last game.  And his players quit trying.  That’s a decent reason for concern.

For the record, I never said he should be fired.   Not that it matters.  

1 minute ago, 83Dee said:

Then again.... how many years people on hornsports give Sark, or when forum chat people call for a coach to be fired doesn’t really matter in the grand scheme of things.

Sarks first Texas team got progressively worse sans the very last game.  And his players quit trying.  That’s a decent reason for concern.

For the record, I never said he should be fired.   Not that it matters.  

I love it when people say his players quit trying because they dont buy in.  Yea I get it to some degree but let me be very clear I dont give 2 shits if the fosters and coburns buy in or not.  The players get a scholarship which most kids would love to have and some even make NIL money now.  I dont buy into helicopter fans/coach theory where we have to caress players "FEELINGS".  You get a scholarship then do your job on the field.  If you have to be motivated to play football god help them in the real world.

1 minute ago, DMAC said:

I love it when people say his players quit trying because they dont buy in.  Yea I get it to some degree but let me be very clear I dont give 2 shits if the fosters and coburns buy in or not.  The players get a scholarship which most kids would love to have and some even make NIL money now.  I dont buy into helicopter fans/coach theory where we have to caress players "FEELINGS".  You get a scholarship then do your job on the field.  If you have to be motivated to play football god help them in the real world.

I disagree.  Sure motivating people to play hard is a part of coaching football.  A big part. The fact that several players lacked effort and started all year is a concerning bullet-point for this coach.

Doing what football players do is extra-ordinary.  Good coaches motivate players to do things that go against human nature.  One way to motivate is the bench on the sideline.  Sark chose not to use it.

Again, I’m not advocating he get run out of town.  Only pointing out that I understand  concern... even off the cuff emotional reactions  like “fire the coach!”  There’s good reason behind the concern.