Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2022 Texas Portal News

Sirhornsalot

7 hours ago, Eastexhorn said:

Yes a offer from a school has a new meaning. Sometimes the predevloped talent is another coaches headache.

Running offfreshmen or they leavingdoes not leave much time for devlopment.

Players should understand that the coaches have high expectations of them, and if they can't or don't meet those expectations then there won't be a place on the team for them. This will inevitably result in some players not making it, but hopefully most do make it and are better for it.

If it's clear to the staff after one year that a player isn't going to help the team be successful it would be a bad idea to keep them around for a second year. A few examples of this seem understandable,  too many and you have to question the evaluation or the development process. 

At the end of the day it's all about wins. If the team wins enough games everyone prospers, if not people run out of patience relatively quickly. 

2 minutes ago, Eastexhorn said:

Going down a level? After last year thats rock bottom. Except for a couple of Vince years Texas hasnot been elite since Akers. Maybe the McCoy years.

The players leaving are going to Sam Houston State or SMU or are not getting an offer. That’s why we had last year; a lack of talent and a lack of depth.  We need to have enough good players that the Bailer’s and Iowa State’s can’t compete. We don’t have it. Until we do; we are what we are.  But we aren’t SMU or Sam. 

SMU they are not that bad of a team . Sort of like TCU and Texas has had trouble with the frogs. Then Hornshave thier coach now

Its good to see the koolade flowing again.

Last years team's downfall was defence, Has Pete become better.

14 minutes ago, Eastexhorn said:

SMU they are not that bad of a team . Sort of like TCU and Texas has had trouble with the frogs. Then Hornshave thier coach now

Its good to see the koolade flowing again.

Last years team's downfall was defence, Has Pete become better.

I guess you think we belong in the AAC. The SEC doesn’t think so. SMU brings so much to the table the Big 12 fell all over themselves to offer them a spot. Oh no they didn’t. For all of our faults we get to play with the big boys. We just haven’t recruited at that level. 

And Pete has been a great defensive coach before. He didn’t have much to work with. The secondary and linebackers were not very good and the defensive line was so so if that. We can’t keep changing coordinators or none of our players will ever develop. 

By the way I do like me some Burnt Orange Koolaid. 

2 hours ago, Eastexhorn said:

Going down a level? After last year thats rock bottom. Except for a couple of Vince years Texas hasnot been elite since Akers. Maybe the McCoy years.

I think he meant transferring to Sam Houston St from Texas is going down a level.

Vince’s Junior year through Colt’s senior year Mack Brown had us elite.  Fred’s first year (1977?) through 1984 - I’d put us in the elite category - though a natty would bolstered my later claim. 

3 minutes ago, Wayne said:

The secondary and linebackers were not very good and the defensive line was so so if that.

I think you are being very generous with your assessment.

I think PK’s resume grants a little patients.   Though last year darn near caused me to knee-jerk.

I wish offensive minded Texas head coaches would just hire DCs that play traditional defense. PK’s scheme has a slight Orlando scent.  Act like a blue blood! I really wanted Ash to stay!  But PK has had considerable success... so I’ll sit back and expect tons of improvement in 2022.  If not, then a hefty knee-jerk! 

I have to be honest it’s funny that people think that we have all this talent on defense. It’s telling that guys like Brockermeyer and Bush are starting. Our safeties last year was a converted WR that couldn’t see the field at Oregon and another that transferred to an FCS school. Maybe the talent isn’t as good as we thought it was. 

29 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Burton update on IT says Addison is going to add a fourth visit after Bama. Left USC uncommitted, obviously. 

Can't blame the young man for exploring his options. Must be another team with a  really good quarterback...Ohio State maybe?

1 hour ago, Austin Horn said:

PK needs to get it together. The defensive roster isn’t what we thought it was. If it’s talented but nfl drafts say different. 

I think back to the start of last season when PK set a goal of keeping opponents to under 20 points per game. It will be interesting to see what he says in the fall.

Hopefully with an extra year in the system plus the new players, plus with Paterson helping we will see significant progress. 

46 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Burton update on IT says Addison is going to add a fourth visit after Bama. Left USC uncommitted, obviously. 

I felt / feel the USC visit would shed the light on Addison’s intentions. I believed he was either visiting Texas to ease concerns of USC tampering or (not saying it’s a fact) maybe USC wasn’t the school that was in his ear the loudest. 
Now that the USC visit has ended without a commitment I think he will be a Longhorn. I’m not convinced he will take another visit. Obviously total speculation but I won’t be shocked if this recruitment ends very soon. 

3 hours ago, RickyFlair said:

I felt / feel the USC visit would shed the light on Addison’s intentions. I believed he was either visiting Texas to ease concerns of USC tampering or (not saying it’s a fact) maybe USC wasn’t the school that was in his ear the loudest. 
Now that the USC visit has ended without a commitment I think he will be a Longhorn. I’m not convinced he will take another visit. Obviously total speculation but I won’t be shocked if this recruitment ends very soon. 

I think he will take another visit after the coming Bama visit. I think he'll get to Bama and realize there's a ton of talent there. The path to more passes might be elsewhere.

A place like Miami might pull off the upset if they could get him down there. He could do well there.

38 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I think he will take another visit after the coming Bama visit. I think he'll get to Bama and realize there's a ton of talent there. The path to more passes might be elsewhere.

A place like Miami might pull off the upset if they could get him down there. He could do well there.

You could be right. Garcia and VanDyke are pretty good quarterbacks.  Their wide receivers are good, but not great, so not much competition for passes there. Don't know much about their O-line, but that's in Cristobal's wheelhouse and it's got to be better than ours right now. 

Regardless of where Addison goes I believe we already pulled the best thing Pitt had going. In all of this recruitment drama I started doing a little research on Coach Marion. He is the REAL DEAL. Mark my words he is going to be a super star in the coaching world in the near future. Sark was a genius to get him to Austin. 

14 minutes ago, RickyFlair said:

Regardless of where Addison goes I believe we already pulled the best thing Pitt had going. In all of this recruitment drama I started doing a little research on Coach Marion. He is the REAL DEAL. Mark my words he is going to be a super star in the coaching world in the near future. Sark was a genius to get him to Austin. 

Texas has allot going for it with regard to Addison,  but I believe in the end having Marion will be the reason Addison becomes a Longhorn. 

24 minutes ago, dssl said:

Texas has allot going for it with regard to Addison,  but I believe in the end having Marion will be the reason Addison becomes a Longhorn. 

100% agree.

I also believe our WR production will increase dramatically with or without Addison and Worthy might be hoisting that Berkenstocknikoff(SP?) Trophy next year. 
Marion is a technician but he thrives at innovative concepts to maximize the roster/position group. He and Sark together will be like a Mad Scientist project. It should be fun. 

8 hours ago, Austin Horn said:

I have to be honest it’s funny that people think that we have all this talent on defense. It’s telling that guys like Brockermeyer and Bush are starting. Our safeties last year was a converted WR that couldn’t see the field at Oregon and another that transferred to an FCS school. Maybe the talent isn’t as good as we thought it was. 

I haven’t heard anyone indicate we have an abundance of talent on defense.  Podcasts, message boards, media... seriously, not one.  Maybe I just missed it?  But if anyone thinks that is the case I’m not sure what they’ve been watching.  

I have high hopes that Finkley and Sorrell can be the answer at DE. If they can make some noise, then the interior can be more active.

Everybody who watched practices kept saying out Finkley was playing like a veteran. They also raved about Sorrell's progress.

I remain hopeful.

The secondary should be legit.

7 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I have high hopes that Finkley and Sorrell can be the answer at DE. If they can make some noise, then the interior can be more active.

Everybody who watched practices kept saying out Finkley was playing like a veteran. They also raved about Sorrell's progress.

I remain hopeful.

The secondary should be legit.

I remain hopeful also, but to put that into perspective, our o-line has made everyone look great so far. 

17 hours ago, Austin Horn said:

It’s difficult to believe that as highly ranked as some of the recent classes have been that they were not very talented. Seems to me that there has not been any talent development for most of the last decade. That is the area I am most interested to see if this staff can change. Texas attracts talent. Just doesn’t seem like they have been able to do anything with it in quite a while.