Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2022 Texas Portal News

Sirhornsalot

On 5/6/2022 at 2:39 PM, BWilk55 said:

If these are loans, this is a disaster for these players. What's the benefit for them, other than basically getting an advanced pay check? So much risk if their careers don't pan out like assumed. 

I have been perplexed by these rich boosters just throwing money away basically. The rich get richer by investing into products with a ROI (or at least a tax deduction). The loan angle would make more sense if they are ending up profiting. 

What if the loan holder doesn't care if it gets paid back?

Small time personal loans are available everywhere. Normally they operate on volume and high interest, knowing many will default. But the point is there are no penalties if the loan does not get paid back. Whether or not defaults are pursued are at the discretion of the private loan holder.  

These are no different than personal loans... just worth bajillions more. So if the understanding is these are loans that both parties know will never need to be paid (even if paperwork says otherwise), what's the legality there? Seems like a lot of big spenders think they've found a loophole. 

43 minutes ago, Captain Hookem said:

What if the loan holder doesn't care if it gets paid back?

Small time personal loans are available everywhere. Normally they operate on volume and high interest, knowing many will default. But the point is there are no penalties if the loan does not get paid back. Whether or not defaults are pursued are at the discretion of the private loan holder.  

These are no different than personal loans... just worth bajillions more. So if the understanding is these are loans that both parties know will never need to be paid (even if paperwork says otherwise), what's the legality there? Seems like a lot of big spenders think they've found a loophole. 

Good point. I'm not an accountant, but at some point, they can write it off as a business loss, right?

5 hours ago, Eastexhorn said:

Thats 16 transfers and 12 high schoolers on this years recruits.

Ponys might be growing horns

Makes me wonder. Which is better on average a higher rated portal player, or lower rated incoming freshman.  It seems likely that some lower conference teams will prosper by having lots of players that didn't succeed at the big time programs. 

1 hour ago, UTfish said:

Good point. I'm not an accountant, but at some point, they can write it off as a business loss, right?

You can on the books but you cannot deduct on a tax return until you have exhausted all means to collect. You have to go to court or they declare bankruptcy. 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Austin Horn said:

It would be nice but I don’t think he’s coming. Hope I’m wrong 

I'm not pretending to know what's going on, but OrangeBloods is saying he could make a decision within 24 hours.

IT has said previously he was supposed to visit USC this weekend.

35 minutes ago, TFloss32 said:

I'm not pretending to know what's going on, but OrangeBloods is saying he could make a decision within 24 hours.

IT has said previously he was supposed to visit USC this weekend.

I have mixed emotions about this. On one hand, I wonder if there will be enough balls to go around with the star-power we'll have at WR, should we take this guy.

You cannot deny carries to Bijan. So where do the touches come from?

On the other hand, we would have the best WR crew in the country if this happens. Big 12 teams would be hard pressed to contain the run when they have to respect the pass so much. We get these guys rolling, Bijan's going to have more highlights.

2 hours ago, Austin Horn said:

It would be nice but I don’t think he’s coming. Hope I’m wrong 

Sark can highlight how he used DeVanta Smith,  and having Marion, his position coach from Pitt who must have been instrumental in his development has to also help.

I have no inside information and only time will tell, but I wouldn't be surprised if he picked the horns.

• Administrators
23 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I have mixed emotions about this. On one hand, I wonder if there will be enough balls to go around with the star-power we'll have at WR, should we take this guy.

On the other hand, we would have the best WR crew in the country if this happens. Big 12 teams would be hard pressed to contain the run when they have to respect the pass so much. We get these guys rolling, Bijan's going to have more highlights.

You take him, period.

You take him again because Whittington can't stay healthy and Hall is a wildcard.

29 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

We had 2,600 yards passing last year. Bama had 4,800 and in 2020 they had 4,600. LSU in 2019 5,900. 
It’s tough to divide up 2,600 yards to multiple players but 5,000 to 6,000 yards would give everyone not named Addison a career year. 
If we are going to be an elite program it requires a roster where Coaches must find enough touches to keep stars happy. That’s much easier than scheming our one good receiver open or creating opportunities for one dynamic RB. 
Addison on the team would make Worthy our second best receiver. That’s scary

1 hour ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I get what you're saying, but you take him. Period. Plenty of balls to go around if you keep drives going. We will have a lot more yards and TDs if our QB lives up to his billing. We may need to win games 55-45, but so be it. My biggest question is do we have a line good enough to give the QB some time.

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Big Daddy Cane said:

I get what you're saying, but you take him. Period. Plenty of balls to go around if you keep drives going. We will have a lot more yards and TDs if our QB lives up to his billing. We may need to win games 55-45, but so be it. My biggest question is do we have a line good enough to give the QB some time.

The defense has a long way to go, so I'm stacking any elite offensive talent available.