Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2022 Texas Portal News

Sirhornsalot

14 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

TFB posted a lengthy article today about NIL. Apparently, many of the NIL deals you're hearing about aren't actually pay for play. They are loans. Loans that will tally interest. Loans that will have to be paid back.

These loans will have to be paid back regardless of the athlete transferring, getting injured, etc. The idea is that they get to the NFL and can then afford to pay the loan back. Of course, thats not going to happen for everyone involved.

So this is even worse than we thought. Yes, many NIL deals are what they are supposed to be (namely what Texas has done so far). But others are simply loans given solely for the purpose of drawing the athlete to come to that school/team. I'll let you figure out who is doing that and who isn't. But it seems rather obvious.

2 thoughts:

1. Can't wait for this to get floated by the retarded progressives in  Congress. 

2.  Is this to bypass the IRS for those states that have state  income tax as well as the federal tax from the IRS and brings the money laundering/bookies/ fraud/etc into account causing the FBI to investigate multiple schools. Just we just had with the basketball scandal and the administration scandal, which has hit multiple schools including Texas and USC and others.

17 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

TFB posted a lengthy article today about NIL. Apparently, many of the NIL deals you're hearing about aren't actually pay for play. They are loans. Loans that will tally interest. Loans that will have to be paid back.

These loans will have to be paid back regardless of the athlete transferring, getting injured, etc. The idea is that they get to the NFL and can then afford to pay the loan back. Of course, thats not going to happen for everyone involved.

So this is even worse than we thought. Yes, many NIL deals are what they are supposed to be (namely what Texas has done so far). But others are simply loans given solely for the purpose of drawing the athlete to come to that school/team. I'll let you figure out who is doing that and who isn't. But it seems rather obvious.

I’ll assume there is more to this than a a straight up “loan” because I’m fairly certain you could legally get a loan before the NIL came about. 

2 hours ago, RickyFlair said:

I’ll assume there is more to this than a a straight up “loan” because I’m fairly certain you could legally get a loan before the NIL came about. 

You couldn’t get a loan from anyone affiliated with the university. 

On 5/5/2022 at 1:09 AM, Sirhornsalot said:

So if it's a constitutional thing, what makes you think it can be limited or controlled in some way? I think Jerry Jones won a few lawsuits regarding this. The NFL tried to control his income, as they always had pre-Jones. He said get your hands out of my pocket. And he won.

Guiderails won't solve the more obvious issues here. At least not legally.

Pandora's box has been opened.

I don't think endorsement deals will be able to be controlled or limited. 

I do think the NCAA can adjust transfer rules which has created this "free agency" like period we just witnessed. I also think cracking down on the tampering and de facto pay for play deals could help. 

It is really complicated because in no other setting do we see fans and boosters essentially adding multiple millions to star players salaries in exchange for picking their team. 

6 hours ago, RickyFlair said:

Yes, some folks can get a 100-150K loan. But most folks cannot, including your lower income kids. Which is why this is such a thing.

Plus, you could never dream of getting the same terms on the loan thats being offered to these kids. "Pay me when you get to the NFL" does not compute to the average banker.

6 hours ago, RickyFlair said:

If these are loans, this is a disaster for these players. What's the benefit for them, other than basically getting an advanced pay check? So much risk if their careers don't pan out like assumed. 

I have been perplexed by these rich boosters just throwing money away basically. The rich get richer by investing into products with a ROI (or at least a tax deduction). The loan angle would make more sense if they are ending up profiting. 

Spoke to my friend today. Our talk was short but I did manage one question: How legit is our chance with Addison?"

Friend got kinda snappy with me, it seemed like the question pissed him off. He said don't buy into this. He thinks Addison is doing this dog and pony show to protect Riley, because he'll eventually land at USC.

Pitt has already made several accusations against Riley regarding tampering with this particular student athlete. But to just go directly to USC would have been too obvious. Pitt may still have a case anyway.

5 hours ago, BWilk55 said:

If these are loans, this is a disaster for these players. What's the benefit for them, other than basically getting an advanced pay check? So much risk if their careers don't pan out like assumed. 

I have been perplexed by these rich boosters just throwing money away basically. The rich get richer by investing into products with a ROI (or at least a tax deduction). The loan angle would make more sense if they are ending up profiting. 

But think about it. This has been going on behind the scenes for years and years. Now, its out in the open and yeah, it's jaw dropping. The loan thing is new, but seems effective by putting a large bag of cash on the table, enticing the player.

Its amazing to me how boosters are willing to spend 100K just to add one player to a team, even if they do get it back. 

But yeah, its a potential disaster, if not a probable disaster. Something's gotta give.

1 hour ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Spoke to my friend today. Our talk was short but I did manage one question: How legit is our chance with Addison?"

Friend got kinda snappy with me, it seemed like the question pissed him off. He said don't buy into this. He thinks Addison is doing this dog and pony show to protect Riley, because he'll eventually land at USC.

Pitt has already made several accusations against Riley regarding tampering with this particular student athlete. But to just go directly to USC would have been too obvious. Pitt may still have a case anyway.

We don't need Addison. The WR room is already top heavy. Besides, with the tampering allegations flying, it's best to fly low on this one.

But think about it. This has been going on behind the scenes for years and years. Now, its out in the open and yeah, it's jaw dropping. The loan thing is new, but seems effective by putting a large bag of cash on the table, enticing the player.

Its amazing to me how boosters are willing to spend 100K just to add one player to a team, even if they do get it back. 

But yeah, its a potential disaster, if not a probable disaster. Something's gotta give.

CDC needs to call Dodds and beg him for advice. It won't be long before BMD's will demand power equal to the AD.

10 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Spoke to my friend today. Our talk was short but I did manage one question: How legit is our chance with Addison?

It seems to me that USC probably made him an offer that made him realize he should transfer. But once he is in the portal you would think he would do some due diligence,  and with Marion at TX I would think he would give TX more then just a go through the motions look.

10 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

12 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Yea, you got to think that the chances are really high that any really good stud player that enters the portal probably knows where he's going before he ever submits his name. 

Just useless (perhaps) musings with my coffee.

With the understanding that relying on freshman out of high school to start (particularly on the OL) is risky business.... if I were to place a top 3 priority list for portal pick-ups to be competitive in 2022, based on last year’s performance, it would look something like this:

1.  DE / Edge - Desperate measures to pick up 2 competent edge players.   It looked like we had 1 good one, but ultimately struck out.  
2. Left OT - Even a competent grad transfer filler to keep a true freshman from lining up against BAMA to protect our prize QB’s blind side.  Now I may be wrong here... but I didn’t sense any type of urgency whatsoever.  Maybe kicked the tires on Mimm?   Struck out.  
3.  Inside linebacker - one scouting service had our 2 LBs ranked last and second last in the Big 12.  Ford looked decent to good, and tallied 3rd most tackles on the team but for some reason couldn’t unseat either starter.  Zero added.

Maybe coaches don’t want one year stop-gaps.  Maybe I don’t know squat (good possibility here).... maybe my musings are just wrong.... but based on priority needs, I don’t see us utilizing the Wild Wild West portal system - to our clear advantage.  

Disclaimer:  We did add quality players at positions of need (of which we have many).  My musings are based on my subjective priority list.  

Be gentle.  

Well it depends on your timing.  We did sign a QB and a safety/CB and WR that all look to start and reduced our flexibility to add more transfers if the cap is 7.  As far as your current positions of need, I would note that we sadly were out spent at LB and DE.  Sad, but true.  I do note your disclaimer is probably referencing this, but think we are better as a team than last year (look at what we lost-no NFL draft picks) and would argue that the three positions could have been positions of need and it is not all doom and gloom.

I do agree with your positions of weakness.  I think it does speak to whether people want to play for Pete.  Another season will reveal a lot.

11 minutes ago, Basis Points said:

Well it depends on your timing.  We did sign a QB and a safety/CB and WR that all look to start and reduced our flexibility to add more transfers if the cap is 7.  As far as your current positions of need, I would note that we sadly were out spent at LB and DE.  Sad, but true.  I do note your disclaimer is probably referencing this, but think we are better as a team than last year (look at what we lost-no NFL draft picks) and would argue that the three positions could have been positions of need and it is not all doom and gloom.

I do agree with your positions of weakness.  I think it does speak to whether people want to play for Pete.  Another season will reveal a lot.

Good point... particularly QB.  That was huge.

I might also add that good coaching staffs - tend to develop returning players.   Sorrell seems to have made significant progress. Hopefully some of the returning OL will as well.  

I belive there is no cap on 7 transfers. The 7 extra recruits was a one time deal and could be transfers or high schoolers.

Have read that some schools took over 50% of transfers in thierclass.

Will check SMU roster to count transfers

Back to say SMU has 14 transfers in 2022 class.

3 hours ago, 83Dee said:

With the understanding that relying on freshman out of high school to start (particularly on the OL) is risky business.... if I were to place a top 3 priority list for portal pick-ups to be competitive in 2022, based on last year’s performance, it would look something like this:

1.  DE / Edge - Desperate measures to pick up 2 competent edge players.   It looked like we had 1 good one, but ultimately struck out.  
2. Left OT - Even a competent grad transfer filler to keep a true freshman from lining up against BAMA to protect our prize QB’s blind side.  Now I may be wrong here... but I didn’t sense any type of urgency whatsoever.  Maybe kicked the tires on Mimm?   Struck out.  
3.  Inside linebacker - one scouting service had our 2 LBs ranked last and second last in the Big 12.  Ford looked decent to good, and tallied 3rd most tackles on the team but for some reason couldn’t unseat either starter.  Zero added.

Maybe coaches don’t want one year stop-gaps.  Maybe I don’t know squat (good possibility here).... maybe my musings are just wrong.... but based on priority needs, I don’t see us utilizing the Wild Wild West portal system - to our clear advantage.  

Disclaimer:  We did add quality players at positions of need (of which we have many).  My musings are based on my subjective priority list.  

Be gentle.  

1. I don't think we will ever have great edges as long as we keep running these crap hybrid defenses.

2. Will Anderson should scare the hell out of all of us when we play Bama.

3. Ford has shown flashes all the way back to the Alamo Bowl. Perhaps this year being his second in the new defense he will excel.

6 hours ago, 83Dee said:

Be gentle.  

1. Maybe I'm delusional, but I think Sorrell and Finkley could be our answers at DE. Both have drawn high praise for the play thus far.

2. I don't think we saw a OL in the portal we liked outside of Mimm, who was never going to come here. I do share your concerns for our OL in the Bama game.

3. Ford did really well at the end of the season last year. If that progress continues, then we've solved one LB spot. Overshown should be a player this year with his experience.

There aren't a lot of difference makers in the portal. Look at the crop we got last year that we thought so highly of. No real anything from them last season. I think we did heads and tails above last year in this year's portal, so far.

2 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

1. Maybe I'm delusional, but I think Sorrell and Finkley could be our answers at DE. Both have drawn high praise for the play thus far.

2. I don't think we saw a OL in the portal we liked outside of Mimm, who was never going to come here. I do share your concerns for our OL in the Bama game.

3. Ford did really well at the end of the season last year. If that progress continues, then we've solved one LB spot. Overshown should be a player this year with his experience.

There aren't a lot of difference makers in the portal. Look at the crop we got last year that we thought so highly of. No real anything from them last season. I think we did heads and tails above last year in this year's portal, so far.

I’m most excited about Murphy for both the LB play and the edge improvement. Unless I missed something, he may be the most disruptive Nose we’ve had since Poona. If so, that will free up Lbs to flow and force double teams which dramatically impacts the rush. Neither Sweat nor Coburn lived up to the preseason Hope last aeason.

Worthy wasn't a portal addition. He was released by Michigan after some troubles with his enrollment date.

Ovie Ogoufo could turn out to be an important addition as well. If he can solidify one of the edge positions this year, would be very important for the defense.

2 hours ago, Eastexhorn said:

Other than Worthy and K. Rob. portal was not much help lasr year.

Worthy wasn’t a portal guy. The transfers that Texas got last year only one made the top 100 transfers that was K. Robinson. Other than him guys like Thornton, Davis we’re just depth guys. I appreciate their efforts a year ago but they had problems getting playing time at their previous school.