Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2022 Texas Portal News


Sirhornsalot
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Administrators
11 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I won't mind at all. The APD arrest site has arrests of two weeks ago posted. So it appears they are two weeks behind. But do whatever you want.

Credit where credit is due if this comes to fruition, however.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, TFloss32 said:

Credit where credit is due if this comes to fruition, however.

I have no need for credit. I saw it reported on another board (poster) who's been around a while. His source was not APD, however. My inquiry came after seeing that.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/27/2022 at 12:08 PM, TFloss32 said:

IT emphasized today that Texas will continue looking at the portal for LB and S help.

If they take Mathis plus 2 more then they would have to get rid of a total of 8. You would hope that if that's the plan they would inform the potentially effected players very soon, so they could hit the portal by May 1.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, dssl said:

If they take Mathis plus 2 more then they would have to get rid of a total of 8. You would hope that if that's the plan they would inform the potentially effected players very soon, so they could hit the portal by May 1.

I don’t have specific details about the player/coach individual meetings that took place at the end of the season. I was told, by a reliable person, that every player was told the roster was going to be overhauled and how it would affect them personally. The staff is not signing players in the portal and then looking for kids to dismiss. 
I understand what you’re saying and I agree that it stinks for some of these kids but it’s a competition for all 85 spots. These guys get their school paid for to play football not to be on the team. If the coaches determine you won’t ever contribute on the field they are going to use that money elsewhere. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Just looking at the roster, I'd come up with a few names . . .

Jett Bush, Kelvontay Dixon, Ishmael Ibrahim, Prince Dorbah, Sawyer Goram-Welch, Isaiah Hookfin, Max Merril, but thats just 7.

+ Guilbeau? or do you think he will make it back onto the team?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, RickyFlair said:

I don’t have specific details about the player/coach individual meetings that took place at the end of the season. I was told, by a reliable person, that every player was told the roster was going to be overhauled and how it would affect them personally. The staff is not signing players in the portal and then looking for kids to dismiss. 
I understand what you’re saying and I agree that it stinks for some of these kids but it’s a competition for all 85 spots. These guys get their school paid for to play football not to be on the team. If the coaches determine you won’t ever contribute on the field they are going to use that money elsewhere. 

Didn't we hear towards the end of the season that Sark said to expect up to 30-40 new faces?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Ntx dog said:

Didn't we hear towards the end of the season that Sark said to expect up to 30-40 new faces?

In the 2022 signing day press conference he threw out 35 or 36 as a possibility. I think we are currently at 33 and talking about 3 more.  If Guilbeau is gone then I think that would make 35 new 2022 players. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As an old softy, I would hope the players who are being pushed off the roster would get a choice to stay at UT with financial help to finish their degree. That may be ill-conceived and or even illegal, but it would be nice for players who had been giving good effort but were poorly evaluated initially.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Coot said:

As an old softy, I would hope the players who are being pushed off the roster would get a choice to stay at UT with financial help to finish their degree. That may be ill-conceived and or even illegal, but it would be nice for players who had been giving good effort but were poorly evaluated initially.

Don't forget, we are also in the NIL era. Players could lose their scholarship, stay on the team, and pay for school via juiced up NIL deals. 

Also, remember that the NCAA approved academic enhancement benefits that the school can pay directly to student athletes, about 6k a year. Texas is part of a small group of schools that is actually paying out this benefit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Just looking at the roster, I'd come up with a few names . . .

Jett Bush, Kelvontay Dixon, Ishmael Ibrahim, Prince Dorbah, Sawyer Goram-Welch, Isaiah Hookfin, Max Merril, but thats just 7.

While I agree with most of these. Eastexhorn is right about Jett Bush being a senior.  I would add Liebrock to the list. 

So, Dixon, Ibrahim, Dorbah, Goram-Welch, Hookfin, Merril, Liebrock, and Guilbeau to go with Warren and Hullably. That's 10. I could add that it's  possible that 1 QB leaves since we have 4 on scholarship. There's  11?

We should know more over the next few days. Remember fun with numbers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, TexCoyote said:

Here we go.  We could all see this coming.

I think we have seen some of this, players entering the portal to reset their NIL market but potentially returning to their current school. This is the most outspoken example though, for sure. I don't think the NCAA has any avenue (or desire) to curb this type of action though. 

Some guiderails for NIL woulda been a good idea but alas, the NCAA is so worried about litigation now they are just going to sit on their hands.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, BWilk55 said:

I think we have seen some of this, players entering the portal to reset their NIL market but potentially returning to their current school. This is the most outspoken example though, for sure. I don't think the NCAA has any avenue (or desire) to curb this type of action though. 

Some guiderails for NIL woulda been a good idea but alas, the NCAA is so worried about litigation now they are just going to sit on their hands.

It isn’t that they are avoiding litigation, the NCAA already lost. Last year or the year before the Supreme Court ruled the NCAA could no longer restrict the income of a student athlete. That’s how the NIL came about. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share


Our Affiliation

USATDP_Logo.png

Quick Links

×
×
  • Create New...