Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2022 Texas Portal News

Sirhornsalot

6 hours ago, dssl said:

Maybe I'm missing something,  but it sounds like the plan is to take 36, if so and 33 is the limit of new scholarships for the fall , then 3 of the new players are going to be without a scholarship. 

If a player doesn't enrol until January then he doesn't count against 2022 limit, but also can't be part of the 2022 team, so not sure what the point would be.  Maybe they can somehow use some NIL magic to make it work.

Someone else may know for sure, but I think it's called a Greyshirt. They wait to enroll in college until January and the scholarship counts toward the next year. 

From what I read, NIL stuff cannot play any roll whatsover in this type of scenario.

The only other possibility is that the NCAA is doing something to increase scholarship limits because of something to do with covid. I have seen that talked about but no one has confirmed anything in the least about it. 

Well okay, apparently Sark "cleared up" the recruiting numbers situation in his press conference today 😉

He was asked point-blank that, if Texas took more players this year, did that mean some players would have to be greyshirted and delay their enrollment until January?

His answer was, "I don't know how you count, but we're in a good spot from a bringing players in (standpoint), so we're ok". 

7 minutes ago, North Texas Golfer said:

Someone else may know for sure, but I think it's called a Greyshirt. They wait to enroll in college until January and the scholarship counts toward the next year.

Yes I looked it up to verify, a Grey shirt is as you say, but again it doesn't help since the grey shirt player can't join the team until the spring of 2023, so it's equivalent to a 2023 recruit who graduates a semester early and participates in the spring.

It does seem like with all of the guys entering the portal, and presumably more to come that they could increase the "one time" portal exception to more then the current 7, but I haven't heard anything, so who knows. Hopefully Sark has a plan that doesn't involve revoking a promised scholarship for any new 2022 athletes. 

53 minutes ago, UTfish said:

But he already left Texas once for a PAC12 coach. 

Can somebody enlighten me on this?   I have no memory.  

Did he sign out of HS?  How long was he at Texas??

44 minutes ago, 83Dee said:

Can somebody enlighten me on this?   I have no memory.  

Did he sign out of HS?  How long was he at Texas??

Junior college transfer to Texas in 2019. Played in 3 games for Texas. 

4 hours ago, Slimer said:

Roach thinks it's Miami.

3 hours ago, Slimer said:

And IT thinks Texas.  We got a source off.

3 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I'll take IT over Roach.

2 hours ago, UTfish said:

But he already left Texas once for a PAC12 coach. 

2 hours ago, Wayne said:

How'd that work out for him?

Do we have a chance with Orji? I'd rather have him than a multiple transfer player.

2 hours ago, North Texas Golfer said:

Well okay, apparently Sark "cleared up" the recruiting numbers situation in his press conference today 😉

He was asked point-blank that, if Texas took more players this year, did that mean some players would have to be greyshirted and delay their enrollment until January?

His answer was, "I don't know how you count, but we're in a good spot from a bringing players in (standpoint), so we're ok". 

What a nice way to say "it's none of your business". lol That was damn near Hermanesque.

3 hours ago, UTfish said:

Junior college transfer to Texas in 2019. Played in 3 games for Texas. 

It’s very odd that he would consider coming back, isn’t it?

maybe he loved the school but didn’t care for his coach at the time?

2 hours ago, Baron said:

For @EastexhornHere are some portal candidates who don't seem to have much playing time in their future. Kelvontay Dixon, Braydon Liebrock, Dajon Harrison, Charles Wright and Jayden Hullaby. I don't see a path for any of them to significant playing time.

Also Hookfin and the two suspended DBS. Wright might be happy being third string.

Your five will take care of the five who already has to go.

2 hours ago, Baron said:

For @EastexhornHere are some portal candidates who don't seem to have much playing time in their future. Kelvontay Dixon, Braydon Liebrock, Dajon Harrison, Charles Wright and Jayden Hullaby. I don't see a path for any of them to significant playing time.

Charles Wright is like a forgotten man. I forgot about him.