Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2022 Texas Portal News

Sirhornsalot

10 hours ago, david ficken said:

Okay. Maybe 27 is to many, but when 1/3 are gone after the season. Plus of the 1/3 is Overshown maybe the only one showing the most production?  If the production from the LBs, DT, and DEs/edge rushers improve the numbers at those positions will change.

Secondly, the OL numbers haven't been the issue. The multiple OL coaches, and the lack of growth and ability to get better by the players, or injuries, and/or low ceiling of the OL guys are the issues.

Secondly, the OL numbers havent been the issue? The OL nas not had adquate numbers since Strong was coach. Check tne rosters.  Eight is not quite one third of twenty seven Plus players leaving next yeardoes not help this years roster.

y Like WRS there is eleven on rosterand posters  arewanting more. Only one senior .

On 4/15/2022 at 12:02 PM, dssl said:

My understanding is only 2 or 3 spaces left.

This years class is over is it not.           

Next  years class numbers are not established yet.Ipad at it again.

4 minutes ago, Eastexhorn said:

This years class is over is it not.           

Next  years class numbers are not established y

My understanding is that portal players coming in for the fall of 2022 would count against the 2022 class, not the 2023 class and we have 2 or 3 more spots. i.e 28 high school commits and currently 4 portal commits. They can take 25 +7  for portal exception + however many were unused from the previous year.  Sark has said they can take 35 or 36. Since we are currently at 32 that would imply 3 or 4 more, but that would seem to imply that we had 3 or 4 unused from last year, which would seem surprising.

So it's not completely clear how many they can take, but the numbers are very tight. Also to take that many they would need some more attrition to get to the 85 total scholarship limit.

4 minutes ago, dssl said:

My understanding is that portal players coming in for the fall of 2022 would count against the 2022 class, not the 2023 class and we have 2 or 3 more spots. i.e 28 high school commits and currently 4 portal commits. They can take 25 +7  for portal exception + however many were unused from the previous year.  Sark has said they can take 35 or 36. Since we are currently at 32 that would imply 3 or 4 more, but that would seem to imply that we had 3 or 4 unused from last year, which would seem surprising.

So it's not completely clear how many they can take, but the numbers are very tight. Also to take that many they would need some more attrition to get to the 85 total scholarship limit.

Some one posted that roster is at 89 if so already over. Time will tell about ther 2 or 3  portal positions. 15 seniors sonext years class might be small.

Maybesome one in the know can tell us when and where portal players count to what class.

2 minutes ago, Eastexhorn said:

Some one posted that roster is at 89 if so already over. Time will tell about ther 2 or 3  portal positions. 15 seniors sonext years class might be small.

Maybesome one in the know can tell us when and where portal players count to what class.

Right now there are 71 scholarship players on the roster. Over the summer another 18 will hopefully enroll. That will bring it to 89. So four players will be given their walking papers by August. Plus any more transfers that come in will require another player to give up a scholarship.

2 hours ago, Baron said:

Right now there are 71 scholarship players on the roster. Over the summer another 18 will hopefully enroll. That will bring it to 89. So four players will be given their walking papers by August. Plus any more transfers that come in will require another player to give up a scholarship.

Good call Baron, checked the roster and counted 71 also. Sark said he had space for 3-4 more so may be so I for one am not counting on it.

Hookfin to medical and the two suspended DBS will be a start to attrition.

• Administrators

Take it for what it's worth, but IT talking like both WR Agiye Hall and DE Ochaun Mathis will be Longhorns without actually saying it.

On Hall specifically, they've been comparing this to when RB Keilan Robinson left Alabama and knew he'd be going to Texas.

They did mention yesterday that if Texas were to pass on Hall due to his problems at Alabama, there would likely be another WR option becoming available.

1 hour ago, TFloss32 said:

Take it for what it's worth, but IT talking like both WR Agiye Hall and DE Ochaun Mathis will be Longhorns without actually saying it.

On Hall specifically, they've been comparing this to when RB Keilan Robinson left Alabama and knew he'd be going to Texas.

They did mention yesterday that if Texas were to pass on Hall due to his problems at Alabama, there would likely be another WR option becoming available.

I understand Ochaun Mathis made a late decision to come down to Austin this weekend, even though he will have an OV next weekend in Austin. That kinda tells you what you wanna know. His announcement looms on the horizon.

Hall in an incredible talent. Hopefully, he gets his head together.

39 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I understand Ochaun Mathis made a late decision to come down to Austin this weekend, even though he will have an OV next weekend in Austin. That kinda tells you what you wanna know. His announcement looms on the horizon.

Aside from the problems Hall is a great player. 

• Administrators
44 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

IT did say they weren't sure if next weekend is still scheduled, but not sure why it would've changed.

19 hours ago, Eastexhorn said:

Secondly, the OL numbers havent been the issue? The OL nas not had adquate numbers since Strong was coach. Check tne rosters.  Eight is not quite one third of twenty seven Plus players leaving next yeardoes not help this years roster.

y Like WRS there is eleven on rosterand posters  arewanting more. Only one senior .

Really, I'm  not the one needing to check the roster. Just so you and everyone understands this.  I won't add this current incoming class. We signed or got transfers of 34 players over the last 7 years. That is almost 5 a year. Do you really need me to school you on the names?

Quit blaming other positions for the lack of production from one position on numbers.  

Secondly, I counted Myron Warren as a senior as he has been here as long as Sweat who is a senior if not mistaken, but he would be the 9th guy and thus the 1/3 of the DTs, LBs, and DEs/Edges that should be gone by the end of the season if not sooner.  

Just for comparison, looking at Alabama's current roster: they have 19 OL, we are at 18. Alabama at DTs, DEs/edges, and LBs is at 34 with a couple of more coming in the summer; we have 27 with what possibly 4 more? I'll  go by the one whom is considered the best college HC and not you.

6 hours ago, TFloss32 said:

UCLA transfer LB Caleb Johnson will take an official visit to Texas on Monday, per 247.

Miami is the only other school he's considering and he was on their campus this weekend.

https://247sports.com/player/caleb-johnson-46056538/

Is this the same guy that was/did sign with us a few years ago and never showed? And went to UCLA? 

4 hours ago, david ficken said:

Really, I'm  not the one needing to check the roster. Just so you and everyone understands this.  I won't add this current incoming class. We signed or got transfers of 34 players over the last 7 years. That is almost 5 a year. Do you really need me to school you on the names?

Quit blaming other positions for the lack of production from one position on numbers.  

Secondly, I counted Myron Warren as a senior as he has been here as long as Sweat who is a senior if not mistaken, but he would be the 9th guy and thus the 1/3 of the DTs, LBs, and DEs/Edges that should be gone by the end of the season if not sooner.  

Just for comparison, looking at Alabama's current roster: they have 19 OL, we are at 18. Alabama at DTs, DEs/edges, and LBs is at 34 with a couple of more coming in the summer; we have 27 with what possibly 4 more? I'll  go by the one whom is considered the best college HC and not you.

First did not mean to ruffle your feathers. Lack of bodies atone position weakens it. Over stocking at other positions can cause this. This years LBS for instance under stocked.

Second maybe you should check the roster Warren is listed as a Jr. and if you have 18 OL you must be counting WOS.

Anyin the end we are all Horns fans and hopefully Sark will work it out.

5 hours ago, david ficken said:

Dang, dial it back a little bit man. I

• Administrators
7 hours ago, david ficken said:

Is this the same guy that was/did sign with us a few years ago and never showed? And went to UCLA? 

Same guy and he did show, but he didn't stay long.

32 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Gerry Hamilton:

"FSU is in go big or go home mode on Amarius Mims. I just don't see Texas making a push here."

That is disheartening.  Texas should be in the same mode for quality OL prospects.  Even one player like him could make a huge difference on the OL.

21 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Yeah or we have roothead