Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2022 Texas Portal News

Sirhornsalot

You guys are killing me with the NIL tears. 
Sports at every level is strictly entertainment, it’s a game. I don’t care if it’s music, theater, dance, cinema, ect... without money, paid and made, entertainment would not exist. The only thing that ruins entertainment is when it ceases to entertain. Are we seriously upset that the actors or dancers are getting money but are ok with the director or choreographer getting millions? All of this ridiculous money is being paid FOR YOU. The salaries, TV network deals and billion dollar venues are all for consumer acquisition. Our unhealthy obsession with the game created this monster so football purest or not you brought this on yourself.

Look at the bright side. You still get to sit in your lazy boy drinking beer and shoving potato chips in your mouth watching these college kids play a game while some billionaire pays them. What’s the problem?

It’s similar to going to a restaurant chain and paying for a $12 steak and some jerk replaces it with a prime cut of ribeye and has it prepared by a grill master. Are you going to gripe that someone tried to give you a better product without increasing your cost? “But what if I  go back to the restaurant and the jerk is no longer there because another restaurant stole him and I get the crappy steak I ordered and paid for?” Boo freaking hoo! Just be glad you got one good steak in life that you didn’t pay for yourself. 
40B9D805-3A88-4836-AE05-CA80B8B0A39A.jpeg.7c064c31a173baaa599d1a6ad0862030.jpeg

6 hours ago, Wayne said:

If colleges didn’t make money from football, coaches wouldn’t be making $10M a year. They wouldn’t have the money to pay. We can all get nostalgic about the past, I do too. But the past was never as good as we remember and frequently we conveniently forget the bad. 

Basically what I had said. It is ALL about football. Take away football, and none of that money flows. The brand we have that is so successful and has such staying power – it is that way because 1) lets face it, it looks good, and 2) Our football team has always wore this logo prominently, never changing.

So all the clothes, merchandise, etc, all comes back to football.

I agree about the past but disagree that is was never as good as we remember. It indeed was. In more ways that we're able to think about.

Thats like an argument about crime. Yeah, we've always had it. But its never been more ugly and widespread as it is today.

8 hours ago, RickyFlair said:

Sports at every level is strictly entertainment, it’s a game. I don’t care if it’s music, theater, dance, cinema, ect... without money, paid and made, entertainment would not exist. The only thing that ruins entertainment is when it ceases to entertain. Are we seriously upset that the actors or dancers are getting money but are ok with the director or choreographer getting millions? All of this ridiculous money is being paid FOR YOU. The salaries, TV network deals and billion dollar venues are all for consumer acquisition. Our unhealthy obsession with the game created this monster so football purest or not you brought this on yourself.

Look at the bright side. You still get to sit in your lazy boy drinking beer and shoving potato chips in your mouth watching these college kids play a game while some billionaire pays them. What’s the problem?

It’s similar to going to a restaurant chain and paying for a $12 steak and some jerk replaces it with a prime cut of ribeye and has it prepared by a grill master. Are you going to gripe that someone tried to give you a better product without increasing your cost? “But what if I  go back to the restaurant and the jerk is no longer there because another restaurant stole him and I get the crappy steak I ordered and paid for?” Boo freaking hoo! Just be glad you got one good steak in life that you didn’t pay for yourself. 

Agree with everything you said.  It's a new era of college football.  Conform or get left behind.  We've already been left behind given the last decade and a half for whatever reason you want to mention.

We have BMDs at UT.  Let's see how much they want it.

On 1/6/2022 at 10:40 AM, RickyFlair said:

I would argue that the most ridiculous money is being spent by the taxpayer.

I didn't understand this: "The salaries, TV network deals and billion dollar venues are all for consumer acquisition"

What are you attempting to say? Exactly how does the consumer acquire the salaries, network TV deals and billion dollar venues? I'd like to sign up for my own acquisition.

Elsewhere, your logic is just outside of retarded. You're suggesting that people who enjoy college football have "brought this on yourselves." Since when does enjoying a product mean someone else needs to go out and ruin it for everyone? As for the kids, you're supposed to be smarter than they are, which is why we call them students.

• Administrators

On Wyoming transfer WR Isaiah Neyor...he did make it to USC this week and IT is being told he wasn't feeling it out there.

He will head to Ole Miss early next week and then Texas after that.

The Tennessee visit is no longer a sure thing.

Neyor understands he's being targeted to start opposite Xavier Worthy and he's aware of how much the staff wants him.

• Administrators

IT reporting the early feedback from Central Michigan transfer LB Troy Brown hasn't been positive.

He has more than one young child in Michigan and will likely stay close to home.

He had two conversations with the Texas staff on Thursday.

2 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I would argue that the most ridiculous money is being spent by the taxpayer.

I didn't understand this: "The salaries, TV network deals and billion dollar venues are all for consumer acquisition"

What are you attempting to say? Exactly how does the consumer acquire the salaries, network TV deals and billion dollar venues? I'd like to sign up for my own acquisition.

Elsewhere, your logic is just outside of retarded. You're suggesting that people who enjoy college football have "brought this on yourselves." Since when does enjoying a product mean someone else needs to go out and ruin it for everyone? As for the kids, you're supposed to be smarter than they are, which is why we call them students.

Lol. Tax payer? The fans are the consumer and the product is College football. Programs pay big money for coaches so you will get a better team to root for, buy tickets to watch, and hopefully some merchandise. Building nice stadiums for the fan experience, TV deals so you have access to the see the games from home and the commercials that come with them. They spend this money to promote the brand and get more fans (consumer acquisition). 
Retarded, now that’s an intellectual response. I’m not suggesting anything I’m stating a fact. If you can’t comprehend the fact that we are the consumer then obviously you can’t grasp the concept of being responsible for keeping this sport machine going. You are claiming the demise of college football because it is moving outside of lines you deem appropriate. You can justify lowering academic standards to allow athletes access or giving them a $100k education the less physically gifted people pay for but now you see a problem rising. I’ll tell you my friend “in for a penny in for a pound”. Don’t misunderstand I’m talking about myself as much as anyone but if you are “just someone who enjoys college football” I would hate to know how much time and energy an obsessed fan would spend on Horn Sports. I truly love your passion and insight. You are one my favorite posters so don’t ruin it by claiming to be a casual observer its disingenuous.  

3 minutes ago, TFloss32 said:

Per IT, they're hearing rumors that Alabama LB Drew Sanders, originally of Denton Ryan, may be transferring after the national title game on Monday.

Texas would have interest.

https://247sports.com/Player/Drew-Sanders-45572383/

If he was 6'5" 230 as a HS senior what are his measurables now? Sounds like a possible edge.

1 hour ago, RickyFlair said:

Lol. Tax payer? The fans are the consumer and the product is College football. Programs pay big money for coaches so you will get a better team to root for, buy tickets to watch, and hopefully some merchandise. Building nice stadiums for the fan experience, TV deals so you have access to the see the games from home and the commercials that come with them. They spend this money to promote the brand and get more fans (consumer acquisition). 
Retarded, now that’s an intellectual response. I’m not suggesting anything I’m stating a fact. If you can’t comprehend the fact that we are the consumer then obviously you can’t grasp the concept of being responsible for keeping this sport machine going. You are claiming the demise of college football because it is moving outside of lines you deem appropriate. You can justify lowering academic standards to allow athletes access or giving them a $100k education the less physically gifted people pay for but now you see a problem rising. I’ll tell you my friend “in for a penny in for a pound”. Don’t misunderstand I’m talking about myself as much as anyone but if you are “just someone who enjoys college football” I would hate to know how much time and energy an obsessed fan would spend on Horn Sports. I truly love your passion and insight. You are one my favorite posters so don’t ruin it by claiming to be a casual observer its disingenuous.  

You would be the one disingenuous by not admitting its out of control. The reason college football became what it is today is because of what it was yesterday, not what it is today. Its easy to understand why people enjoyed it, but its getting tougher to enjoy the further we go into the screwed-up priority abyss.

A consumer can be just as happy watching some or all of a game without each coach on the sideline getting an ever-increasing sum of millions to do something that requires a big fat degree of pure luck.

I am not a casual observer. I am a football fan. I can satisfy that desire to see football a number of ways. I haven't watched an NFL game in five years. I fear the day comes when I watch just about anything but college and NFL football. There comes a point where its no longer entertainment. Instead, its just sad to see what its become.

I speak up because I am not a casual observer. If I were that, I'd have nothing to say. I don't need you to agree with me. I just need you and others to hear me.

1 hour ago, RickyFlair said:

You are claiming the demise of college football because it is moving outside of lines you deem appropriate. You can justify lowering academic standards to allow athletes access or giving them a $100k education the less physically gifted people pay for but now you see a problem rising. I’ll tell you my friend “in for a penny in for a pound”. 

So where does all this end up? A lot of folks who are concerned about where this is going can't answer that question. Look down the road a bit and tell you don't see potential problems.

I agree that sometimes folks suffer from old timer syndrome. I was curious about when scholarship limits were placed and dug up this quote:

When scholarships were cut from 105 to 95 in 1978, former USC coach John McKay reputedly said, “Mark this day on your calendar. This day is the ruin of college football. It will only go downhill from here.”

However the argument being made here is that the imbalance of money... not just the money itself... but the imbalance of money is going to cause problems across all of college football. It's going to cause problems in conferences and most likely amongst players on teams themselves. The NFL has worked out most of these issues through player agreements. College football is jumping headlong into this new era with zero direction. 

State schools are run by politicians. You don't think there's going to be issues when teams who can't afford to pay $25mil to players start banding together? There's a lot more schools that don't have deep pockets than ones that do. 

Some players on teams get paid and others don't. Are they going to strike and demand they make the same money as well? The portal relieves some of that pressure right now, but it won't be long before the imbalance is keenly felt among certain groups. 

If college separates into the money league (looking like the SEC) and everybody else is that really going to feel like college football when it separates into stratified levels of conferences... created based on how much each can pay their teams? It won't be long before even the teams in the SEC demand that a salary cap is put into so the league doesn't get imbalanced. Will it still feel the same when the SEC only plays itself and there's no singular college champion?

Will that pressure be contained within conferences or will it be applied to college football as a whole? Remember that just a handful of teams can really afford to spend millions on a yearly basis. Will there be a national push (like the original Title IX) to restrict how much teams can spend on their teams? 

These aren't just concerns in a vacuum but based on events that have actually occurred both in college football and decades of player/owner money struggles in the NFL. At least when NCAA players weren't getting (legitimately) paid the whole field was more or less equal. Whether that was right or wrong what's going to happen is a Pandora's Box that no one knows where it will lead. You can't tell me that you aren't concerned about any of that just a little.

43 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

You would be the one disingenuous by not admitting its out of control. The reason college football became what it is today is because of what it was yesterday, not what it is today. Its easy to understand why people enjoyed it, but its getting tougher to enjoy the further we go into the screwed-up priority abyss.

A consumer can be just as happy watching some or all of a game without each coach on the sideline getting an ever-increasing sum of millions to do something that requires a big fat degree of pure luck.

I am not a casual observer. I am a football fan. I can satisfy that desire to see football a number of ways. I haven't watched an NFL game in five years. I fear the day comes when I watch just about anything but college and NFL football. There comes a point where its no longer entertainment. Instead, its just sad to see what its become.

I speak up because I am not a casual observer. If I were that, I'd have nothing to say. I don't need you to agree with me. I just need you and others to hear me.

I also stopped watching NFL football years ago.   Pro baseball a couple of years ago.  NBA decades ago.   Didn’t like the preaching of values I do not support nor the premadonnas thinking they walk on water.  

College football is becoming NFL lite.   I can stop watching CF if it gets just as bad.  

37 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Very well said. 

I know it’s out of control but I don’t believe it just happened. I can say with relative certainty this “game” hasn’t been under control for at least the last 40 years. 

17 minutes ago, RickyFlair said:

Very well said. 

I know it’s out of control but I don’t believe it just happened. I can say with relative certainty this “game” hasn’t been under control for at least the last 40 years. 

Here's a view into this question.

In 1980, there were 15 bowls. Among those 15 bowls, there were 8 games where ranked vs ranked teams played.

In 2021, there were 41 bowls. Among those 41 bowls, there were 9 games where ranked vs ranked teams played.

We're seeing the dilution of the product to the point where it's giving the game a bad name. If you saw the first 20 bowls of the season this year, you know what I mean. High school games drew more than those bowls did.

I agree, its taken time to get to this point. It came inch by inch. And every step of the way, money was the central factor. Not the game. Money.

Thanks, I appreciate it. I'm glad you understand.

4 hours ago, Baron said:

If he was 6'5" 230 as a HS senior what are his measurables now? Sounds like a possible edge.

He was a great quarterback too. Had all the talent, just no sure fire position. If he comes, hopefully he can lock one in!