Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Directors Cup Thread

BWilk55

Softball started the day with a 1-2 loss to Washington after taking a 1-0 lead in the 6th.

In the 2nd game, Texas was able to score 2 wins in the 6th and add a 3rd in the top of the 7th. An error allowed Washington to rally in the 7th scoring two runs but a strikeout sealed the deal and Texas advances to face off with #4 Arkansas in the super regionals. 

Stanford pulled off an upset by advancing out of the regional hosted by #6 Alabama. Stanford with some luck in the draw as they will advance to face off with Oregon State in the super regional after their upset of #11 Tennessee. Michigan was eliminated after 1 win in their regional and finish tied for 33rd. 

Current Standings:                              Projected Standings:

Michigan 1210.25                                 Texas 1368.25

Stanford 1079.25                                 Stanford 1302.75

Texas 843.5                                          Michigan 1232.25

Despite being the current leader, I do expect Michigan to fall to 3rd place when all is said and done. They have been eliminated in both golf tournaments, softball and won't make the baseball tournament. Their track and field teams will score a few points but won't be included in their top 19 sports. Rowing will likely have a top 10 finish and add to their score but otherwise they are done. 

Stanford has continued to put together solid NCAA finishes and has increased their previously predicted score by about 85 points. With a fortunate draw in the softball regionals, that team has a chance to make the CWS and greatly overachieve for a team that was just outside of the top 25 most of the season. They continue to perform like the #1 women's golf team and a Championship there would be the expectation and not surprising. If they trip up in match play, they would end up dropping points from their predicted score. A top 3 finish in rowing is also expected. Men's baseball has also risen through the ranks and looks poised for a CWS run. Like their softball team, they were outside of the top 25 mid-season but have really turned it on lately. Men's golf and both track and field teams will likely post solid finishes but won't do much to increase the overall score based on other sports that have concluded.

Texas clearly has work to do. Do remember, Texas has only had 13 sports complete their seasons so far and have 6 blank spots on their scorecard (Michigan and Stanford have both filled up their scorecards and then some). Texas looks to add some big numbers in these empty spots. Women's T&F and Rowing are strong favorites for championships while men's track will battle Alabama for the crown. Women's golf, Men's Golf and Softball are still competing but have set pretty high floors for themselves with guaranteed finishes no worse than 15th, 36th and 9th. Baseball is a bit of a wildcard but as a likely 2 seed in a regional, a #17 overall finish would be expected. 

Stanford's rise through the rankings in several sports will make this a tight finish but I still see Texas coming out on top. A series of Texas failures plus Stanford exceeding current expectations would be required for the Cardinal to re-claim their crown. 

1 hour ago, BWilk55 said:

Current Standings:                              Projected Standings:

Michigan 1210.25                                 Texas 1368.25

Stanford 1079.25                                 Stanford 1302.75

Texas 843.5                                          Michigan 1232.25

Despite being the current leader, I do expect Michigan to fall to 3rd place when all is said and done. They have been eliminated in both golf tournaments, softball and won't make the baseball tournament. Their track and field teams will score a few points but won't be included in their top 19 sports. Rowing will likely have a top 10 finish and add to their score but otherwise they are done. 

Stanford has continued to put together solid NCAA finishes and has increased their previously predicted score by about 85 points. With a fortunate draw in the softball regionals, that team has a chance to make the CWS and greatly overachieve for a team that was just outside of the top 25 most of the season. They continue to perform like the #1 women's golf team and a Championship there would be the expectation and not surprising. If they trip up in match play, they would end up dropping points from their predicted score. A top 3 finish in rowing is also expected. Men's baseball has also risen through the ranks and looks poised for a CWS run. Like their softball team, they were outside of the top 25 mid-season but have really turned it on lately. Men's golf and both track and field teams will likely post solid finishes but won't do much to increase the overall score based on other sports that have concluded.

Texas clearly has work to do. Do remember, Texas has only had 13 sports complete their seasons so far and have 6 blank spots on their scorecard (Michigan and Stanford have both filled up their scorecards and then some). Texas looks to add some big numbers in these empty spots. Women's T&F and Rowing are strong favorites for championships while men's track will battle Alabama for the crown. Women's golf, Men's Golf and Softball are still competing but have set pretty high floors for themselves with guaranteed finishes no worse than 15th, 36th and 9th. Baseball is a bit of a wildcard but as a likely 2 seed in a regional, a #17 overall finish would be expected. 

Stanford's rise through the rankings in several sports will make this a tight finish but I still see Texas coming out on top. A series of Texas failures plus Stanford exceeding current expectations would be required for the Cardinal to re-claim their crown. 

Thanks for all the updates BW. I only have one issue. You state "Cardinal to re-claim THEIR crown?" 😉

Last I checked, we own it.

1 hour ago, Oldmanastro said:

Thanks for all the updates BW. I only have one issue. You state "Cardinal to re-claim THEIR crown?" 😉

Last I checked, we own it.

That's fair. For a quarter of a century they've worn the crown so I'd consider us to be borrowing it until we can show that we can consistently beat them out. 

If we win this year, we will move into sole ownership of 2nd place in titles won with UNC in third with 1.