Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

GAME THREAD: Texas Longhorns @ West Virginia Mountaineers

https://longhornswire.usatoday.com/lists/texas-football-longhorns-steve-sarkisian-coaching-staff-learned-recruiting-transfer-portal-quarterback/

After reeling in the biggest name on the coaching market in Steve Sarkisian, there were sky-high expectations for Texas’ football team.

Why wouldn’t there be? Texas was coming off a season in which they had gone 7-3, and they also were returning a good chunk of veteran players. This season started off strong with a 4-1 record, and their lone loss was to what turned out to be a solid Arkansas team.

https://www.yardbarker.com/college_football/articles/words_fail_as_longhorns_hangover_continues/s1_16598_36503303

At one point, Texas was ranked No. 15 in the country. That’s not a misprint. At one point, the sportswriters and broadcasters in this country, who know college football pretty darned well, thought the Longhorns were a Top 15 team. That was before they played Arkansas, a game the Razorbacks won 40-21.

I thought it was a blip, honestly. I didn’t think Arkansas was that good. I didn’t Texas was that bad.

What do I know? Arkansas is going to a bowl game.

Texas will be home and coach Steve Sarkisian and his staff will be recruiting and, theoretically, trying to block the transfer portal from his current players. Someone have a tracker on Bijan Robinson yet? I kid, I kid … I think. For that matter, maybe keep tabs on Keilan Robinson, too?

It all fell apart against Oklahoma. That’s the reality. Remember when the Atlanta Falcons had that 28-3 lead on New England in Super Bowl LI in 2017 and and lost? The Falcons really haven’t been the same since.

The Longhorns were never the same since that loss to Oklahoma. Six straight losses now. West Virginia coach Neal Brown was on a warmer seat than Sarkisian going into this one. Maybe switch the temperature now? Eh, maybe not. Sark’s seat was already hot enough. He’s head coach of the Longhorns, after all. The seat is automatically set to warm.

3 hours ago, Eastexhorn said:

Last yeay the DBS were pro prospects Jamison and Thompson. I belive the jacks are Sarks transfers.

Simple answer is an Ash defense would be better.

They're still the same "pro prospects" they were last year – not very.

Jacks were ND and LSU transfers. Thats usually a safe bet.

I don't think Ash would have faired any better. If Ash was that great, they would have been knocking his door down the minute UT let him go.

3 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

They're still the same "pro prospects" they were last year – not very.

Jacks were ND and LSU transfers. Thats usually a safe bet.

I don't think Ash would have faired any better. If Ash was that great, they would have been knocking his door down the minute UT let him go.

Good answers strait to the point. Jacks were from big names schools but turned out to be not so big talent Evaluation  y someone not so good either

Much better on offense side evaluation that is.

On 11/21/2021 at 1:55 PM, Sirhornsalot said:

lol, well, that was a lot to digest (or a lot to type). 

As I've said for weeks and weeks, the ULa win was fool's gold. They narrowly escaped Nicholls State the very next week . . . at home.

Arkansas is a solid, well-coached team with seasoned veterans sprinkled throughout. That is precisely where we want Texas to be. Due to what has happened to the 2018 and 2019 classes, we don't have anything close to that. I agree Arkie exposed us (OL in particular) and so will Bama when we play them early next season if we don't do something about it. I think Sark understands the major, major issue this is.

The spiral started when two things happened – 1) Thompson injured his thumb and wasn't the same after that, and 2) Denzel Okafor was lost for the season. After those two things happened, our offense just fell apart. Now, Okafor is from Lewisville, where I reside. I like the kid but don't view him as even average OL. But we certainly changed there once he was gone.

I enjoyed your post. And no, you don't have to respond if you don't want to. lol

I’m not saying ULL was a quality win although most would consider it that .    Just using it to show that sark can call a good game schematically.  Sure, the OL may have looked better than thought due to lesser competition.  Maybe Napier and LaLa don’t gameplan to blow teams out.  Some coaches lean on advantages to beat overmatched teams.  They ARE 10-1 right now and Texas wouldn’t be that playing their schedule.  

losing Okafor did hurt, which is extremely sad.  But sark’s inconsistent playcalling around the poor OL play is a huge problem.  He looked brilliant against OU in the first half.  Then like an unpolished terd the second.  That wasn’t on a thumb issue.  That thumb looked mighty fine when he mashed tge gas in the 4th.  He killed the momentum in the game by dropping three gears.  I believe the thumb is an excuse.  If it were a thumb issue he would sit Casey. He’s thrown the ball fine for the most part, just made some bad decisions.  Your thumb doesn’t affect your progressions.

I didn’t realize beating a 10-1 team would turn out to be fools gold.  A decent 10-1 team at that.  

33 minutes ago, Eastexhorn said:

Good answers strait to the point. Jacks were from big names schools but turned out to be not so big talent Evaluation  y someone not so good either

Much better on offense side evaluation that is.

True. Same thing with Ben Davis at LB. He got to Bama on his dad's coat tails. Didn't do a thing there. Didn't do a thing here.

On 11/21/2021 at 9:41 PM, Sirhornsalot said:

What defense would this collection of guys work in? Seriously.

Foster is a liability. J. Thompson is, too. Jamison was as giving as the Salvation Army out there. We have a walk-on at MLB, and converted safety at another LB. We have two DE or jacks that disappear for long stretches of time, and a NT who doesn't clog the middle.

Tell me, what defense would work for this bunch?

I’d have put my best 4 DL hands in the dirt.  47 would’ve turned his jersey in.  I’d have used two run stopper lb’s and Overshown as my 3 linebackers.  

jameson is best in man press.  I’d go with him and Dunn, man press.  Foster and schooler could watch from the stands with 47.  Yep, young safety and let cook play free safety.  I would’ve dialed up blitz after blitz just to get qbs uncomfortable.  

would you get burned?  Sure you would some.  But you have to try something different.  

3 hours ago, Drb522 said:

I’d have put my best 4 DL hands in the dirt.  47 would’ve turned his jersey in.  I’d have used two run stopper lb’s and Overshown as my 3 linebackers.  

jameson is best in man press.  I’d go with him and Dunn, man press.  Foster and schooler could watch from the stands with 47.  Yep, young safety and let cook play free safety.  I would’ve dialed up blitz after blitz just to get qbs uncomfortable.  

would you get burned?  Sure you would some.  But you have to try something different.  

But in this group, 47 IS your run stopper. Thats how bad the rest are.

But yeah, you gotta do something.