Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Opinions on what the future holds

On 11/15/2021 at 12:50 PM, Sirhornsalot said:

I truly don't understand why you would ditch PK and then hire Lake? Lake is PK's protege. You'd be getting the very same defense. How is that helping yourself?

I don't see a single change in the staff. I'm not sure you should.

We compare what other DCs did here, but not with this group of players. And that's the only way you can compare, fairly.

I'm not defending PK here. I just don't think one season is enough to assess and evaluate a coach who, up to now, had one of the best defensive reputations in the nation. He didn't get beat with a stupid stick. Its something else.

I think you'll see more than 10 abandon ship. This is a good thing, unfortunately.

I’m coming around to this (which is new for me).  It’s time to get off the crazy train of revolving door position coaches - coordinators- head coaches.  This thing is a mess... let Sark tear it down to the studs (as Klatt said) and build it back up.  Any decision on coaching staff should be his and his alone.... not CDC or certainly not BMDs.   Check status after 3 years, not one. If moving in a positive direction, he has a full 5.

8 hours ago, david ficken said:

So, you want this purge/letting players go last spring? We let Lewis, and Lee go. Did you know about Coburn ignoring the coaches and the S&C to lose 20-35 lbs. to be a difference maker at nose tackle instead  he gained weight and as SHA has said he would rather be a pattycake and thumb war with the OL of the opponents OL instead of something different.  He won't do well in interviews with NFL clubs.  About knowing that Estelle? Or however he spells his name still being on the team? 

Moore, he already had 1 issue with a gun and Herman just put him on as a redshirt, but again last spring didn't he have an issue between him and the girlfriend that went away? So, yes I remember he had issued.

Now, the lbs that were brought in only the ND guy has been okay. Don't know about Richardson.  But most of our lbs are good between the guards, or maybe tackle to center.  None are sideline to sideline lbs. I blame Orlando and Hutzler or however he spells his name. But you want 90% of the lbs. gone? That's  a great idea?    Let's  put 4 pasties  LDs and 7 bad BDs outthere🤔?

Maybe the Chewbacca defense isn't  so bad. Think about it let's  get 7 Chewbaccas that are 7 ft. or taller and there's  not an OL that could move them around the the marshmallow LDs we currently have or have the arm reach  that they have. It would help in both the rushing and passing defenses. Joking. But hoping it helps some of you realize  the issues that Herman and his staff left this staff.

BTW, now while our useless Johnny likes to move the goal post to fit his narrative, but hopefully the rest of you aren't as dense as him. But The Ash defense with what 60% or so of the same defensive  players, gave up a 3 touchdown lead last year to TT only because of Sam we were able to come in overtime to win. Or the same defensive players benched Rattler last year only to lose that game in overtime because of him with us having if not mistaken a 2 td lead.  Or how about the the great Ash defense that had a lead agsinst TCU and ISU to only lose at home.  Plus we lost a lead if not mistaken to Okie Lite and it took a ST kickoff return by Jameson and Ossai making a beast  mode play on defense in overtime against Okie Lite to win that game.

Some of you either have short  time remember lose due to age, or just hate this defense.  The players are close to the same even if the names have changed.  Star rankings don't  make the player, the player willing to improve and be better developed makes them the quality player that makes them into the top notch blue chipper. Not the star ranking. 

I want it now. There's nothing anyone can do about what's in the past.

As far as your snarky comment about old people. I've probably forgotten more than you know, whipper snapper. 😀

Some of you either have short  time remember lose due to age, or just hate this defense.  

You're right, Dave.

I'm one of these old-timers who just hates this defense. Many times, they don't even appear to line up correctly. 3-man fronts and CBs playing 7 yards off on 3rd & short, for example.

I don't think I've got short-term memory loss, but maybe daily doses of Centrum Silver and more leafy green vegetables in my diet will fix it.

In the meantime, I'm mentally prepared for 2 more years of Sark that will entail more fishing and golf on Saturdays.

3 hours ago, 83Dee said:

I’m coming around to this (which is new for me).  It’s time to get off the crazy train of revolving door position coaches - coordinators- head coaches.  This thing is a mess... let Sark tear it down to the studs (as Klatt said) and build it back up.  Any decision on coaching staff should be his and his alone.... not CDC or certainly BMDs.   Check status after 3 years, not one. If moving in a positive direction, he has a full 5.

2021, 4-8

2022, 6-6

2023, 8-4

Progress! But, didn't we just fire a guy for 4-loss seasons? I gotta say, Sark's slow-play plan is indeed brilliant.

12 hours ago, J.B. TexasEx said:

You're right, Dave.

I'm one of these old-timers who just hates this defense. Many times, they don't even appear to line up correctly. 3-man fronts and CBs playing 7 yards off on 3rd & short, for example.

I don't think I've got short-term memory loss, but maybe daily doses of Centrum Silver and more leafy green vegetables in my diet will fix it.

In the meantime, I'm mentally prepared for 2 more years of Sark that will entail more fishing and golf on Saturdays.

I agree that these defensive players either don't  know where to line up. I don't  get the cushion that these DBs are giving. I don't  get why none of the DBs seem to know whether it's a zone or man to man coverage. I don't get why they don't/won't turn their heads while in coverage to at lesst pretend that they could make a play on the ball.  I don't know if Joseph is the right db coach or should be the passing  defense coordinator, like it's listed for him on the coaching staff.  Maybe PK was the 3rd choice and it shows. But people need to not just blame the cosches and not put some blame of these kids. 

Maybe the staff is sending a message by going after some many DL and LBs. Just don't see a defensive playmaker in the current LBs that are committed unless Jones is better than his 3 star ranking.

I'll  give  Sark 3 years. But he really needs to get the OL and defensive players that want to come here and be coached upto their potential and not to accept average.  He can get the offensive skill players until the HS kids see that his vision is the same as Herman.

He can get the offensive skill players until the HS kids see that his vision is the same as Herman.

Not trying to be argumentative but did Herman actually have a vision? Other than his ability to get the team up to play in bowl games and proving that he was the smartest man in the room (of which I have serious doubts), it never really seemed like he had a coherent plan for the program. Then again, I've never been accused of being Mensa status.

GIF by Achievement Hunter

29 minutes ago, NEOkHorn said:

Not trying to be argumentative but did Herman actually have a vision? Other than his ability to get the team up to play in bowl games and proving that he was the smartest man in the room (of which I have serious doubts), it never really seemed like he had a coherent plan for the program. Then again, I've never been accused of being Mensa status.

Counterpoint - What, exactly, is Sark's "vision" for the program?

33 minutes ago, NEOkHorn said:

All Tom Herman had to do is venture onto any of the various Longhorn football discussion boards on the net and he would have figured real quick that he was not the smartest person in the room. Amirite?

1 hour ago, J.B. TexasEx said:

Fair point. Not sure that can be definitively answered in 1 season and not entirely sure it will turn out to be any better than any of the last 3. I am sure however that I like his press conferences much better than either of the last 2. May just mean he is better schooled at coach speak than they were.

13 hours ago, NEOkHorn said:

I don't think there's an arguement as I Herman's #1 goal was to be a Mensa jackass, and he got several masters and Ph.Ds in being just that.

He sorta did good at recruiting out of state as most parents in state got tired very quickly of his mensa B.S.  

But when allowed to get a good staff his choices were his Cougar jr. high buddies.

All these talented kids he got either never developed beyond their high school talent or portaled out.  

He was lucky that Sam covered his backside as much as he could do.

If anyone remembers the press conference to introduce Sark.  Sark said that last year's team was a close to 2-7 as it was to 7-2 or better. Now we know that Ossai and Sam saved several games for us. Not Herman.

I don't know what Sark's vision is, but when your best WR is a freshman and it's not even close. Says alot about the lack of development of the WRs.

Plus Sark sees the lack of overall team speed, that should never be an issue at Texas.  Then again team pride, heart, desire, and being proud to get to go to UT and wearing uniforms should never be an issue at Texas but it is. 

28 minutes ago, david ficken said:

I don't think there's an arguement as I Herman's #1 goal was to be a Mensa jackass, and he got several masters and Ph.Ds in being just that.

He sorta did good at recruiting out of state as most parents in state got tired very quickly of his mensa B.S.  

But when allowed to get a good staff his choices were his Cougar jr. high buddies.

All these talented kids he got either never developed beyond their high school talent or portaled out.  

He was lucky that Sam covered his backside as much as he could do.

If anyone remembers the press conference to introduce Sark.  Sark said that last year's team was a close to 2-7 as it was to 7-2 or better. Now we know that Ossai and Sam saved several games for us. Not Herman.

I don't know what Sark's vision is, but when your best WR is a freshman and it's not even close. Says alot about the lack of development of the WRs.

Plus Sark sees the lack of overall team speed, that should never be an issue at Texas.  Then again team pride, heart, desire, and being proud to get to go to UT and wearing uniforms should never be an issue at Texas but it is. 

And the EOT should never be an issue EVER as well.   

Hopefully we get rid of the players that are concerned with their rights and replace them with players much more interested in their responsibilities.  Hopefully much better days are ahead. 

15 hours ago, North Texas Golfer said:

It hasn't been a talent thing against any team we have lost to except OU.

Really? 

So, how come we lost to Texas Tech in '08? We were more talented then them back then? How about Alabama  in the championship  game the following year, we were as talented or more talented then them by star  rankings? How about the '10 year altogether only OU had as much talent as we did?  Don't  be like Johnny Dumbass and try to change the goalpost to fit a narrative.  Yes, we have as much talent as OU, but the coaching,  and the players desire to play as a team are vastly different.  

We win as a team and lose as a team, but when the play is not as a team, but more importantly like a individual caring more about the outside the locker room and not inside the locker room. That's an issue not an excuse  like Johnny wants to claim. Injuries are a part of the game, not an excuse.  Besides, we have out recruited OU something like 4 of the last 6 years🤔

When everyone wants to make changes just because they think they know more; then we start looking more like Tennessee (since Phillip Fulmer) or ND since Lou Holtz till Brian Kelley came along. Let's try and not go there 😉? Okay?

4 hours ago, david ficken said:

Really? 

So, how come we lost to Texas Tech in '08? We were more talented then them back then? How about Alabama  in the championship  game the following year, we were as talented or more talented then them by star  rankings? How about the '10 year altogether only OU had as much talent as we did?  Don't  be like Johnny Dumbass and try to change the goalpost to fit a narrative.  Yes, we have as much talent as OU, but the coaching,  and the players desire to play as a team are vastly different.  

We win as a team and lose as a team, but when the play is not as a team, but more importantly like a individual caring more about the outside the locker room and not inside the locker room. That's an issue not an excuse  like Johnny wants to claim. Injuries are a part of the game, not an excuse.  Besides, we have out recruited OU something like 4 of the last 6 years🤔

When everyone wants to make changes just because they think they know more; then we start looking more like Tennessee (since Phillip Fulmer) or ND since Lou Holtz till Brian Kelley came along. Let's try and not go there 😉? Okay?

I don't even know what the hell you just said. You rambled all over the place, lol. 

And, just to clarify, my comment about talent was about this year and this year only. OU was the only team that had comparable talent to Texas.  

On 11/26/2021 at 9:08 AM, J.B. TexasEx said:

The biggest difference on the offense is Sark's desire to have speed at the WR versus Herman's preference for size.  Herman liked WR that had the size to block for the run game, but could not get open and are going for the jump ball.  Aside from DD, who was a decoy running downfield for three years until they moved him from the slot, Herman wasn't going after Lamb and Hollywood and it showed, but Sark wants run/pass balance in the offense unlike the Pirate who threw 60 passes per game because he couldn't get the talent to Lubbock.  Haven't a clue about defense.  The talk was aggressive, but 7yards off the line by DB is not aggressive or shows slow DBs relative to the WR.  

On 11/25/2021 at 7:50 AM, 83Dee said:

I’m new to this thread.... 

I love Bo.... but if I were to pick out the position group that has under-performed the most, based on expectations.... it would be his.  

I agree, it is a bit of a paradox.  Bo was hired away from UT to join Saban and only left due to recruiting issues and was hired by the NFL.  Definitely a good recruiter as shown by the class so it all points to a good coach, but the DL was an issue with no penetration.  I don't have the coaching knowledge to discern what the issue was with the line, but seeing his rant on the bus, have to believe it is more the players rather than Bo forgetting how to coach overnight.

6 hours ago, david ficken said:

This past season looked a lot like post-Fulmer Tennessee to me. I can't imagine looking much worse. Longest losing streak since 1956.

Craptacular