Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Opinions on what the future holds

3 minutes ago, J.B. TexasEx said:

Meh

He could've issued a public apology for his juvenile behavior, gone into rehab for alcohol or sex addition...whatever, and come out clean. I agree that the EOT decision was probably the deal-breaker for WTH. No, I don't miss him. Just wish we could've done better than Sark. 

At the time Sark was probably the best choice. Who else was available that was willing to listen. If I remember right even Sark mulled over the decision to come here or not. Texas just isn't as irresistible a job as it used to be.

1 minute ago, Baron said:

At the time Sark was probably the best choice. Who else was available that was willing to listen. If I remember right even Sark mulled over the decision to come here or not. Texas just isn't as irresistible a job as it used to be.

Which means Texas Football is probably screwed for the foreseeable future unless a guy like Traylor continues his ascension and covets the UT job.

I just don't have confidence in Sark after this disastrous season. Sorry

33 minutes ago, J.B. TexasEx said:

I find this very hard to believe. Getting rid of Herman was only the "right call" if we had a game-changer like Urban in the bag. Unfortunately, I doubt Sark is that guy.

You'd see this screenshots posted on social media somewhere if it was happening.

Once Herman lost the ability to recruit his time was over. All the other issues just made the decision easier.

Keeping him here, even holding out for a slam dunk hire, would've set the program back each year. Just look at where we are now with hardly a 2019 class left. 

Ultimately the same thing happened to Strong, and to a certain extent Mack. There were a lot of reasons for both departures, but both happened right after the recruiting dried up.

2 minutes ago, J.B. TexasEx said:

Which means Texas Football is probably screwed for the foreseeable future unless a guy like Traylor continues his ascension and covets the UT job.

I just don't have confidence in Sark after this disastrous season. Sorry

I can't blame you. But in my book it's better to be optimistic when you can't do anything about it. I would rather have hope during the long off season than be down for 8 months.

9 minutes ago, Captain Hookem said:

Once Herman lost the ability to recruit his time was over. All the other issues just made the decision easier.

Keeping him here, even holding out for a slam dunk hire, would've set the program back each year. Just look at where we are now with hardly a 2019 class left. 

Ultimately the same thing happened to Strong, and to a certain extent Mack. There were a lot of reasons for both departures, but both happened right after the recruiting dried up.

According to 247, Herman's four classes all ranked in the Top 25 nationally, with three in the Top 10. At what point did he lose his ability to recruit? 

14 minutes ago, J.B. TexasEx said:

According to 247, Herman's four classes all ranked in the Top 25 nationally, with three in the Top 10. At what point did he lose his ability to recruit? 

Once Ewers decommitted, and  then the other 3 or 4 after him, is when the push to get rid of Herman really started. Before that it looked like he’d get another year.

1 hour ago, Eastexhorn said:

Football is about recruiting good players and developing them

Then angry young men win football games. Coaches quote.

Well, WTH tried to instill a competitive atmosphere with his, "winners get a gourmet breakfast, losers get runny eggs" shtick. He was a buffoon in many ways, but I doubt he'd be 4-6 with this roster. Casey probably has the freedom to run more and the D couldn't possibly be worse under Ash's direction. 

Just another frustrated alum's opinion, I know. FML that I almost miss Herman.

Okay here comes negative nelly again.  Sark said it from his own mouth, "You are who your record says you are." So that also applies to coaching records as well.  Sark has never been more than a mediocre head coach according to his record.  Unless he has changed over the years and found the Saban secret I have my doubts that he will be able to manage this program to the point where it becomes elite again.  Optimism is great but it cannot change facts.  Hope I am wrong.  Can someone give me proof that he is not who his record says he is? 

Head Coach winning percentage .543 over 8yrs.  

Year School G W L T Pct SRS SOS AP Pre AP High AP Post Bowl Notes
8 Yrs Overall 92 50 42 0 .543 7.44 5.45       2-2  
5 Yrs Washington 63 34 29 0 .540 6.20 5.46       1-2  
2 Yrs USC 18 12 6 0 .667 12.96 6.66       1-0  
1 Yr Texas 11 4 7 0 .364 2.62 2.98       0-0  
2009 Washington 12 5 7 0 .417 3.61 4.94   24      
2010 Washington 13 7 6 0 .538 5.55 8.24       Holiday Bowl-W  
2011 Washington 13 7 6 0 .538 1.80 2.80   22   Alamo Bowl-L  
2012 Washington 13 7 6 0 .538 4.90 4.75   23   Las Vegas Bowl-L  
2013 Washington 12 8 4 0 .667 15.12 6.58   15 25    
2014 USC 13 9 4 0 .692 14.39 5.93 15 9 20 Holiday Bowl-W  
2015 USC 5 3 2 0 .600 11.53 7.39 8 6      
2021 Texas 11 4 7 0 .364 2.62 2.98 21 15      

8 hours ago, Eastexhorn said:

And the players did not over night become bad players.

Hope the staff does a better job of evaluationing defensive players than they did on the transfers.

I happen to think that neither the players nor the coaches are even close to being 4-7 bad. This year is on both the players and the coaches. Neither gets a pass. 

8 hours ago, Eastexhorn said:

And the players did not over night become bad players.

Hope the staff does a better job of evaluationing defensive players than they did on the transfers.

A lot of the player did become bad players over night. It's called quiting and not buying in to the new staff. A blind man can see it on the films. 

28 minutes ago, North Texas Golfer said:

I happen to think that neither the players nor the coaches are even close to being 4-7 bad. This year is on both the players and the coaches. Neither gets a pass. 

For me the coaches get a pass. But now that they realize what they walked into, I expect them to get tough and demanding of the players. Kind of like Herman but without the watered down eggs and piss test BS. And I do expect them to weed out the malcontents. 

24 minutes ago, Baron said:

For me the coaches get a pass. But now that they realize what they walked into, I expect them to get tough and demanding of the players. Kind of like Herman but without the watered down eggs and piss test BS. And I do expect them to weed out the malcontents

"Why didn't this happen last spring?", he asked, incredulously.

9 hours ago, zion3d said:

Okay here comes negative nelly again.  Sark said it from his own mouth, "You are who your record says you are." So that also applies to coaching records as well.  Sark has never been more than a mediocre head coach according to his record.  Unless he has changed over the years and found the Saban secret I have my doubts that he will be able to manage this program to the point where it becomes elite again.  Optimism is great but it cannot change facts.  Hope I am wrong.  Can someone give me proof that he is not who his record says he is? 

Head Coach winning percentage .543 over 8yrs.  

Year School G W L T Pct SRS SOS AP Pre AP High AP Post Bowl Notes
8 Yrs Overall 92 50 42 0 .543 7.44 5.45       2-2  
5 Yrs Washington 63 34 29 0 .540 6.20 5.46       1-2  
2 Yrs USC 18 12 6 0 .667 12.96 6.66       1-0  
1 Yr Texas 11 4 7 0 .364 2.62 2.98       0-0  
2009 Washington 12 5 7 0 .417 3.61 4.94   24      
2010 Washington 13 7 6 0 .538 5.55 8.24       Holiday Bowl-W  
2011 Washington 13 7 6 0 .538 1.80 2.80   22   Alamo Bowl-L  
2012 Washington 13 7 6 0 .538 4.90 4.75   23   Las Vegas Bowl-L  
2013 Washington 12 8 4 0 .667 15.12 6.58   15 25    
2014 USC 13 9 4 0 .692 14.39 5.93 15 9 20 Holiday Bowl-W  
2015 USC 5 3 2 0 .600 11.53 7.39 8 6      
2021 Texas 11 4 7 0 .364 2.62 2.98 21 15      

Sark only finished 2 out of 8 years ranked? What made UT power brokers think he was an upgrade from Herman? He sucked in the NFL, too.

2 minutes ago, J.B. TexasEx said:

Sark only finished 2 out of 8 years ranked? What made UT power brokers think he was an upgrade from Herman? He sucked in the NFL, too.

I’ll tell you why.  He was the hot name at the time because of the Bama offense.  There was talk about other schools hiring him because of the shear productivity of that offense.  The brain trust at Texas believe that his success would transfer to Texas.  I don’t think they even considered his prior coaching record and even if they did it did not enter into the equation significantly.

7 hours ago, J.B. TexasEx said:

"Why didn't this happen last spring?", he asked, incredulously.

7 hours ago, Baron said:

Because the malcontents didn't become obvious until the coaches got tough. Who thought Moore was a trouble maker until the incident with Sark?

So, you want this purge/letting players go last spring? We let Lewis, and Lee go. Did you know about Coburn ignoring the coaches and the S&C to lose 20-35 lbs. to be a difference maker at nose tackle instead  he gained weight and as SHA has said he would rather be a pattycake and thumb war with the OL of the opponents OL instead of something different.  He won't do well in interviews with NFL clubs.  About knowing that Estelle? Or however he spells his name still being on the team? 

Moore, he already had 1 issue with a gun and Herman just put him on as a redshirt, but again last spring didn't he have an issue between him and the girlfriend that went away? So, yes I remember he had issued.

Now, the lbs that were brought in only the ND guy has been okay. Don't know about Richardson.  But most of our lbs are good between the guards, or maybe tackle to center.  None are sideline to sideline lbs. I blame Orlando and Hutzler or however he spells his name. But you want 90% of the lbs. gone? That's  a great idea?    Let's  put 4 pasties  LDs and 7 bad BDs outthere🤔?

Maybe the Chewbacca defense isn't  so bad. Think about it let's  get 7 Chewbaccas that are 7 ft. or taller and there's  not an OL that could move them around the the marshmallow LDs we currently have or have the arm reach  that they have. It would help in both the rushing and passing defenses. Joking. But hoping it helps some of you realize  the issues that Herman and his staff left this staff.

BTW, now while our useless Johnny likes to move the goal post to fit his narrative, but hopefully the rest of you aren't as dense as him. But The Ash defense with what 60% or so of the same defensive  players, gave up a 3 touchdown lead last year to TT only because of Sam we were able to come in overtime to win. Or the same defensive players benched Rattler last year only to lose that game in overtime because of him with us having if not mistaken a 2 td lead.  Or how about the the great Ash defense that had a lead agsinst TCU and ISU to only lose at home.  Plus we lost a lead if not mistaken to Okie Lite and it took a ST kickoff return by Jameson and Ossai making a beast  mode play on defense in overtime against Okie Lite to win that game.

Some of you either have short  time remember lose due to age, or just hate this defense.  The players are close to the same even if the names have changed.  Star rankings don't  make the player, the player willing to improve and be better developed makes them the quality player that makes them into the top notch blue chipper. Not the star ranking. 

Damn!......I go away for a month and this board goes nuts. Some are even questioning Sark's ability to run an offense! He put up points like a demon wit a crap OL...mediocher at best QB, and many injuries.

Will Sark be the guy to lead us out of the desert?.....I don't know, but I think he needs a few years to do it.

Ok, y'all carry on.....