Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

GAME THREAD: Kansas Jayhawks @ Texas Longhorns

2 hours ago, NEOkHorn said:

Add Orgeron in some capacity and we might be cooking with $EC type Crisco.

not only NO but HELL NO

bring back Mushchamp, he will kick some tails and break some hearts, but he will also put guys in the NFL

5 minutes ago, Hiwood said:

not only NO but HELL NO

bring back Mushchamp, he will kick some tails and break some hearts, but he will also put guys in the NFL

I'd rather bring back Ash than have Mushchamp. Orgeron is also a better recruiter than both. He also has consistently had high quality defenses even after Aranda left. Plus, it would be fun to try and decipher what it is he is actually saying in an interview.lol

1 hour ago, 83Dee said:

Probably Patterson.

Odds Ash would have stayed at Texas as DC if offered:  90%

Odds Patterson comes to Texas as DC if offered:  5%

Disclaimer:  These odds were not arrived at via science, math or inside information   

We have to follow the science 😀😀

1 hour ago, Eastexhorn said:

Depends on who and how many def. coaches is let go.Do not know who would be best hire, but any one would be better.

Room to get 10 players to enter portal abd not hurt depth.

Ball is in Sark's court lets see what he serves up.

Unfortunately Bo Davis is likely to enter the portal. No wonder he was mad. 

2 minutes ago, Johnny Depp said:

Unfortunately Bo Davis is likely to enter the portal. No wonder he was mad. 

The way our highly regarded DL is playing, he’s killing his reputation.  If this isn’t a schematic problem maybe he should be pushed into the portal.  

Couple things from the last few pages:

(1) We’ve seen the potential from the offense when they execute and get some competent QB play. That will only get better when Sark bring in more of his guys.

(2) We’ve scored more than enough points to win multiple games if we only had a competent defense that could play 4 quarters. PK has to go, along with most of the defensive staff. As far as I’m concerned, the only one that can stay is Bo. Based on prior stops, including at Texas, we know he’s a good coach.

(3) Give Patterson a blank check. If he comes for a season or 2 and is successful, he’ll get a way better HC offer than TCU. Besides, it should be appealing to him that he’ll have an offensive-minded boss that won’t mess with his defense.

(4) Past Patterson, give Muschamp a call. At the very least, I know he won’t put up with the BS we’ve seen this season, and he sure is heck isn’t going to coddle anyone. You don’t perform, enjoy the bench.

(5) I wouldn’t dismiss Ed O. I’d easily take him as a position coach. I’d have to think about his as a DC. Perfect scenario, you pay him a ton of money to be a position coach and run recruiting. The man is an amazing recruiter. Go look at his track record.

Im surprised to hear the Patterson talk.  This entire situation with coaches is like a never ending loop. 

I still remember everyone loving Vance Bedford in year one and hoping he wouldnt take one of the HC vacancies elsewhere.  This was back when Charlie and Vance had a good defense and a terrible offense.  Remember the 18 wheeler package because we couldnt buy a first down?  What happened the very next year?  We couldnt fire him fast enough for fans were done with him. 

Same story with Orlando.  He went from a blitzing genius to please fire his ass its all smoke and mirrors.  He also allowed Kansas to score 48 points in DKR.

Ash's defense ranked 7th out of 10 last year in the Big 12.  Only ahead of Tech, Kansas, KSU

Now granted this defense is absolutely pathetic to give 50+ to Kansas but this same Kansas team almost beat the Sooners.  I am not making excuses for it even Herman and Strong either lost to Kansas or almost lost to Kansas.  Its not like we havent seen this before.  So its all the coaches?  Oh please...

2 hours ago, DMAC said:

Im surprised to hear the Patterson talk.  This entire situation with coaches is like a never ending loop. 

I still remember everyone loving Vance Bedford in year one and hoping he wouldnt take one of the HC vacancies elsewhere.  This was back when Charlie and Vance had a good defense and a terrible offense.  Remember the 18 wheeler package because we couldnt buy a first down?  What happened the very next year?  We couldnt fire him fast enough for fans were done with him. 

Same story with Orlando.  He went from a blitzing genius to please fire his ass its all smoke and mirrors.  He also allowed Kansas to score 48 points in DKR.

Ash's defense ranked 7th out of 10 last year in the Big 12.  Only ahead of Tech, Kansas, KSU

Now granted this defense is absolutely pathetic to give 50+ to Kansas but this same Kansas team almost beat the Sooners.  I am not making excuses for it even Herman and Strong either lost to Kansas or almost lost to Kansas.  Its not like we havent seen this before.  So its all the coaches?  Oh please...

Ash made great improvements over what Orlando’s defense had become.  And one year later PK somehow has us worse than Orlando’s defense ever was.

Coaching plays a major role here. See what Robinson did mid-season after the Diaz disaster.  

37 minutes ago, Eastexhorn said:

I had high hopes for this staff but was never more disapointed espicaly by defense. PK just does not have it vs Big 12.

How many seemingly quality DCs have really struggled in the Big 12? This is not the best conference to be sure but it does seem to take some time for defensive coordinators to find their footing. Some good ones never do.

18 hours ago, DMAC said:

It’s definitely not all on the coaches. But some of the schemes and alignments PK has thrown down in games, especially for the situation, have been downright bizarre.

As for Bedford and Orlando, if I remember correctly, they benefited from some heavy upperclassmen defenses in their first years. Once those players moved on, it turned ugly. And talking of schemes, those Orlando safety blitzes from 10 yards out that everyone and their dog could see. Talk about hitting your head into a wall.

Edited by longhorn_mig

3 hours ago, 83Dee said:

Ash made great improvements over what Orlando’s defense had become.  And one year later PK somehow has us worse than Orlando’s defense ever was.

Coaching plays a major role here. See what Robinson did mid-season after the Diaz disaster.  

Not that I disagree about Ash but according to the actual rankings Texas 65 in total defense under Orlando and 61 under Ash.  That isnt a "great improvement" ranking wise.  Both are far better than we are now which is 108th

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2019-team-defense.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2020-team-defense.html

Edited by DMAC

1 hour ago, longhorn_mig said:

It’s definitely not all on the coaches. But some of the schemes and alignments PK has thrown down in games, especially for the situation, has been downright bizarre.

As for Bedford and Orlando, if I remember correctly, they benefited from some heavy upperclassmen defenses in their first years. Once those players moved on, it turned ugly. And talking of schemes, those Orlando safety blitzes from 10 yards out that everyone and their dog could see. Talk about hitting your head into a wall.

Yea I know.  They probably should have retained Ash but it is what it is.  My point is we havent had a good defense in a long time.  Strongs first year, ranked #31.  Considering how inept our offense was thats pretty damn good.  Also note we had Malcom Brown and Jordan Hicks I believe.

2014 - #31

2015 - #87

2016 - #91

....ah forget it you see the trend

Edited by DMAC

12 hours ago, DMAC said:

Yea I know.  They probably should have retained Ash but it is what it is.  My point is we havent had a good defense in a long time.  Strongs first year, ranked #31.  Considering how inept our offense was thats pretty damn good.  Also note we had Malcom Brown and Jordan Hicks I believe.

2014 - #31

2015 - #87

2016 - #91

....ah forget it you see the trend

I hear ya. It's just so frustrating though. We'd easily have a couple of more wins with a competent defense that tackled consistently and showed up for 4 quarters.

1 minute ago, longhorn_mig said:

I hear ya. It's just so frustrating though. We'd easily have a couple of more wins with a competent defense that tackled consistently and showed up for 4 quarters.

Our tackling and filling run gaps has been atrocious for almost a decade.  Fundamental football is now mystery lol

20 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Agree, Patterson. I can't stand the guy but he can flat out coach defense.

Believe it or not, TCU's national ranking on total defense is worse than ours. We're 105, they're 121. And he has the players he recruited. 

Don't like him. Don't want him. He needs a job with Kentucky Fried Chicken.