Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Bo Davis with a few choice words after Iowa St game (rated R)

Language was unnecessary but the PASSION was right on.  Had an Augie Garrido vibe to it and I love it!

If the fan base can be patient, I think this coaching staff can change the culture at UT football.  I think some of the holdovers from Herman's roster and upper classmen (whom should be leaders) are the ones that need to be held accountable - or hit the portal.  

FYI, already discussed in other thread.

20 minutes ago, T-ShirtHorn said:

Seems to have been deleted from the original site, so I’m sure it’s been addressed with whoever took it.

the language doesn’t bother me, but i can see how it would with others who have never been in that situation. 

Believe me... I've been in that situation playing football and sports addict most of my life, as well as participated in traveling military sports teams; just never found it necessary to express passion that way. Was in the army for 26 yrs and getting young guy's attitudes focused can be life or death. I like real passion and it's necessary at the right time

9 minutes ago, Soldierhorn said:

Believe me... I've been in that situation playing football and sports addict most of my life, as well as participated in traveling military sports teams; just never found it necessary to express passion that way. Was in the army for 26 yrs and getting young guy's attitudes focused can be life or death. I like real passion and it's necessary at the right time

Wasn’t taking a shot, I was talking about everyone condemning him on social media. Just the typical soft ass media.

2 hours ago, T-ShirtHorn said:

Wasn’t taking a shot, I was talking about everyone condemning him on social media. Just the typical soft ass media.

not a big deal, just expressing that I dont think it is necessary but the passion is, IMO  

I agree with the soft social media take.  I would bet most people that have that opinion curse on their own but hypocritically show disdain when used in context they dont like such as anger, yelling, belittling, shaming, toxic masculinity, on and on.  Part of the culture 

12 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Time to take out the garbage

agreed.  IIRC, Charlie Strong hurt himself with a lot of attrition (something like 15 over the summer) and I'm not sure he ever really recovered from it; that along with poor organizational skills, poor staff decisions, and etc,, but we know about all that. I was surprised at the relative lack of attrition this past summer with the change of regime. Hanging on to toxic talent may be better than high attrition rate... but cant be by much.  

I said it in the game thread.  This just proves it.  Some of the players were laughing and smiling after getting their asses handed to them the entire second half.  That is a problem. 

I still remember watching my son in 5th grade play against a loaded a team.  My sons team was an expansion team if you will with very little talent or coaching against basically an all star team.  My son played QB and was smashed into oblivion all game long.  After the miserable loss my son started to tear up.  I still remember what the coach said to me after the game.  He told me Stephen wanted to win this game and showed heart.  Now granted its 5th grade football so it isnt all that serious for some kids but you could tell who was competitive and who wasnt in the post game.  Same holds true here.

For the language, im fine with it.  I heard much worse from my coaches in HS.  Some of these kids need to transfer if they dont give two shits about winning.   Being complacent is contagious on a TEAM

Edited by DMAC

I still remember good ole coach Dan Beckelman. His son played for Texas. Coach Beckelman didn't care if we were up by 50 or down by 1. If you screwed up he let you know it and he could make Coach Bo seem nice in getting the message clear. You are either playing to win or you can ride the bench and leave the team till you decide what was more important looking good or being a winner and looking good while winning. He was a Junior high coach. We played some teams were just more talented, but that didn't  matter to us.

We need more coaches like Coach Bo telling the players like it is or go find a new place to play and do the social justice warrior crap somewhere else. I hear that SJW coach is in Chicago, take that crap there.

On 11/9/2021 at 11:02 PM, Soldierhorn said:

agreed.  IIRC, Charlie Strong hurt himself with a lot of attrition (something like 15 over the summer) and I'm not sure he ever really recovered from it; that along with poor organizational skills, poor staff decisions, and etc,, but we know about all that. I was surprised at the relative lack of attrition this past summer with the change of regime. Hanging on to toxic talent may be better than high attrition rate... but cant be by much.  

We'd better get ready for another disappointing season if we have 15+ portal on us. It may benefit UT down the road, but next year will probably be rough. We needed buy-in from existing talent and it doesn't appear that we got it.

Especially on defense.

1 hour ago, J.B. TexasEx said:

We'd better get ready for another disappointing season if we have 15+ portal on us. It may benefit UT down the road, but next year will be probably be rough. We needed buy-in from existing talent and it doesn't appear that we got it.

Especially on defense.

agree... I'm not a fan of Charlie Weis but saw him reflect on being fired from Kansas. He had over a 20 player attrition after he took over before the end of his first season there.  He said something to the effect that he wanted to change the loser mentality and culture but the attrition was too much too soon and he never really recovered from that.  He ended up having more attrition later and three years is not enough time to do a complete roster flip and expect to win very many games. 

4 hours ago, Soldierhorn said:

agree... I'm not a fan of Charlie Weis but saw him reflect on being fired from Kansas. He had over a 20 player attrition after he took over before the end of his first season there.  He said something to the effect that he wanted to change the loser mentality and culture but the attrition was too much too soon and he never really recovered from that.  He ended up having more attrition later and three years is not enough time to do a complete roster flip and expect to win very many games. 

On the flip side.  This type of complacent culture is contagious.  It can spread to new recruits coming in.  New players see it and either fight it because of their own pride or give in and adopt it.  Obviously the truly toxic players need to be removed, i.e. Moore especially if the rumors are true about him trying to initiate a mutiny.  For the complacent players, they need a mentality change or they should be benched.  I would start by benching complacent players and giving playing time to the younger guys.  It will look ugly but if we dont remove this cancer it will just keep spreading as it has done for 10+ years now.  I still remember people talking about us being soft when Charlie came in, apparently still holds true.  This team sorely lacks leadership from players like Diggs.  Worthy seems soft spoken as does Bijan.  We need more Roschons on this team to get on teammates for not playing up to the level expected.

Worthy mentioned in that one interview, paraphrased "I cant get the players to play hard. I can only do what I can do".

Sark even mentioned something like this after the Arkansas game.  "We need to change the mentality.  We need to hate losing more than we enjoy winning"

A total cleanse could be disastrous as Weis had but then again we are not Kansas either.  Austin vs Lawrence, better facilities, history, money, etc.  Just sayin.

“This s*** ain’t a game to me. If you think it’s a game, get the f*** off this bus. I got my a** kicked and you ************* wanna laugh?” Davis also suggested that the players laughing it up on the bus should hit the transfer portal. 

The Longhorns’ defensive line coach holds three national championship rings and has coached more All-American and future NFLers than we can count. College football is big business and a man’s sport. Jim Harbaugh once said that, “football is the last bastion of hope for toughness in American men.” 

So why were some people up in arms about hearing what Davis said to his players in an expletive-filled rant? 

The answer to that is easy. We live in a society today where calling on people to be tough, to be aggressive, and to be committed is frowned-upon. People do not want to be pushed, yelled at, or cursed at. But you know what they do want? Scholarships to places like the University of Texas. The players want it for themselves, and the parents want it for their sons. But what they don’t want that comes with it is the expectations. Getting to wear the uniform and run onto the field is not enough. The expectation at a place like Texas needs to be that you play at a championship level and that you treat it like the big business that it is. When you don’t do your job, you get called to the carpet about it. You may even be asked to leave. 

https://247sports.com/Article/Bo-Davis-video-Texas-coach-player-leak--174981768/

Edited by DMAC

58 minutes ago, tejasrulz said:

I have no problem at all with what Coach Davis said. I do however have a problem with the player who leaked it.

I'm not bother to much by a player leaking it. I think this pretty much proves some of these players expect entitlements. They don't understand the opportunity they are given and think they can skate on their "potential." You want to change the culture for football? Give them a participation ribbon and toss them thru the portal. Think of it as "voluntary" resignation--You can resign or you can be fired. Might as well prepare them for real life.

45 minutes ago, Johnny Depp said:

Surprised the leaker hasn't been outed yet. It might have been Moore, and that's why he's gone?

It might have been Sark, trying to show we aren't soft.😀

Here's my list of candidates who may have leaked the video.

1. Bijan Robinson

2. Hudson Card

3. Casey Thompson

4. Luke Brockemeyer

5. Brenden Schooler

6. A. J. Milwee

If it wasn't one of these six, then it was definitely someone else.