Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Time to panic for Texas football fans? Or are better days ahead under Steve Sarkisian?

3 hours ago, 83Dee said:

To say that Sark is twice the (head) coach that Mack Brown is, with the current body of work, is so ridiculous, I really did think you were joking.  Its beyond ridiculous.  

Well, if Mack doesn't coach (0%) and Sark does and calls plays (100%) – thats twice as much.

You're free to think however you want.

2 hours ago, North Texas Golfer said:

And I think your ability to ignore the fact that Sark has yet to accomplish anything of note as a HC is tripping you up. 

We are talking about each's ability as a HC. What Sark did last year at Alabama as OC has exactly nothing to do with his ability as a HC.

No moreso than you thinking you have a point when we're 3/4s of the way through HIS FIRST SEASON. If we're being rational here, we're not even having this conversation.

Mack was Stoops' lil bitch. He was really nothing of value as a coach. He was a great CEO, face of the program, recruiter and clapper. And I will never forgive him for the two massive beat downs that I never thought a Texas team would ever endure in Dallas.

We applauded Mack's departure, remember? You don't even know what Sark smells like yet. But you're wanting to compare two things that really aren't comparable at this point.

Sark can flat out coach. He is a brilliant play caller. 

Mack was a great manager of people. He was a leader. And he was a chameleon, meaning he could blend in to practically any environment and get donors to open their wallets. I love Mack for what he gave us, but I'll never associate him with the term "good coach."

Here are the Texas head coaches in my lifetime of being a fanatic:

Fred Akers, David McWilliams, John Macovick, Mack Brown, Charlie Strong, Tom Herman, and now Steve Sarkisian.

Head coaches are ultimately judged by W’s and L’s; championships and lack thereof.  It’s a fun exercise - I’d actually classify two of these coaches as being “good head coaches” at Texas.  Fred Akers and Mack Brown.  None “elite.”  To a man they were all good assistant coaches and some “elite coordinators.”  I actually argue that Fred Akers was a “better head coach” than Mack Brown - but it’s hard to defend with Mack’s natty.

Its unfair to conclude anything with Sark, being he hasn’t completed season 1 at Texas, doesn’t have his players, yada yada yada...  but what he’s done so far ranks him at the very bottom of the list.  He dismantled a good defensive staff and, well, we see the results.  Head coach is over the defense too whether he micro-manages or delegates.

In Order:

GOOD:

1. Akers 2. Brown

MEDIOCRE:

1. Macovick 2. Herman 

BAD:

1. McWilliams 2. Strong 3. Sarkisian 

22 hours ago, North Texas Golfer said:

Barring a total program collapse, there is no good reason to NOT give Sark at least 3 years. 

For my point of reference, does repeatedly not showing up in the second half, Kansas hanging a half century on you, or assistant coaches pet monkeys assaulting innocent children apply to your doomsday scenario? Just curious... 😏

2 hours ago, 83Dee said:

GOOD:

1. Akers 2. Brown

MEDIOCRE:

1. Macovick Mackovic 2. Herman 

BAD:

1. McWilliams 2. Strong 3. Sarkisian 

Agreed, and this alum loved McWilliams' only good team - the 1990 "Shock the Nation" Longhorns. *sigh* That was a fun season.

13 minutes ago, J.B. TexasEx said:

Agreed, and this alum loved McWilliams' only good team - the 1990 "Shock the Nation" Longhorns. *sigh* That was a fun season.

1990 = A great year (minus Cotton Bowl).  I still maintain that the 1983 defense (McWilliams DC / Akers HC) was the best college defense I’ve ever seen.   They managed to lose in the cotton bowl / national championship when Georgia crossed the 50 yard line 3 times all game.  What might have been....

18 minutes ago, Eastexhorn said:

Except for a special teams mlstake or failure to call time out, Akers would be a NCC.

I would put him overMack in rating.Still hoids the record for most players going pro. from one team.

I think that one team had MORE THAN 11 defensive players drafted.

10 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

No moreso than you thinking you have a point when we're 3/4s of the way through HIS FIRST SEASON. If we're being rational here, we're not even having this conversation.

Mack was Stoops' lil bitch. He was really nothing of value as a coach. He was a great CEO, face of the program, recruiter and clapper. And I will never forgive him for the two massive beat downs that I never thought a Texas team would ever endure in Dallas.

We applauded Mack's departure, remember? You don't even know what Sark smells like yet. But you're wanting to compare two things that really aren't comparable at this point.

Sark can flat out coach. He is a brilliant play caller. 

Mack was a great manager of people. He was a leader. And he was a chameleon, meaning he could blend in to practically any environment and get donors to open their wallets. I love Mack for what he gave us, but I'll never associate him with the term "good coach."

"You don't even know what Sark smells like yet. But you're wanting to compare two things that really aren't comparable at this point."

You might want to go back and review who it was that compared Mack and Sark to each other. That would be you. Not me.

Not only that but you have contradicted yourself. You say Sark is twice the coach Mack is and then you say above the two things aren't comparable at this point. Which is exactly what I am saying. You cannot compare Mack and Sark to each other yet. 

In fact, I have made it very clear that we don't know yet how Sark will end up versus Mack when it is all said and done. That has NOT been determined yet by any reasonable stretch of the imagination

2 hours ago, 83Dee said:

For my point of reference, does repeatedly not showing up in the second half, Kansas hanging a half century on you, or assistant coaches pet monkeys assaulting innocent children apply to your doomsday scenario? Just curious... 😏

At this point, we are closer to a total program collapse than we are a turnaround. And, yes, all of those things apply to my doomsday scenario although the monkey thing matters the least to me. By far. 

Edit: Read on another site that the overall morale of the team is pretty low right now. Have not idea if true or not.

3 hours ago, 83Dee said:

1990 = A great year (minus Cotton Bowl).  I still maintain that the 1983 defense (McWilliams DC / Akers HC) was the best college defense I’ve ever seen.   They managed to lose in the cotton bowl / national championship when Georgia crossed the 50 yard line 3 times all game.  What might have been....

Please see the statement above.

2 hours ago, North Texas Golfer said:

"You don't even know what Sark smells like yet. But you're wanting to compare two things that really aren't comparable at this point."

You might want to go back and review who it was that compared Mack and Sark to each other. That would be you. Not me.

Not only that but you have contradicted yourself. You say Sark is twice the coach Mack is and then you say above the two things aren't comparable at this point. Which is exactly what I am saying. You cannot compare Mack and Sark to each other yet. 

In fact, I have made it very clear that we don't know yet how Sark will end up versus Mack when it is all said and done. That has NOT been determined yet by any reasonable stretch of the imagination

You – comparing performance at UT

Me – Comparing two coaches overall.

No, you've been anything but clear. You challenged me on Sark being a better coach than Mack. Who the hell knows what secret meaning was behind that. Pardon me for taking you literally. You said one thing then (the challenge) then you are on the other side of the planet now. Congratulations, well done. I guess.

Lets just stop. This has been like giving birth. You can respond if you want but I'm done.

29 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

No, you've been anything but clear. You challenged me on Sark being a better coach than Mack. Who the hell knows what secret meaning was behind that. Pardon me for taking you literally. You said one thing then (the challenge) then you are on the other side of the planet now. Congratulations, well done. I guess.

Lets just stop. This has been like giving birth. You can respond if you want but I'm done.

It's obvious that you have "me" mixed up with "you", lol. Everything you say I did is exactly what you have done. 

54 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I just blocked him. Got tired of seeing his tired dribble.