Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Time to panic for Texas football fans? Or are better days ahead under Steve Sarkisian?

22 minutes ago, 83Dee said:

Played for a shot at the Big 12 championship 1 year ago.

This is the lousiest Texas team I’ve ever seen. And I’ve seen some really bad ones in the past 4 decades plus....

Pardon me for noticing, but, isn't every conference team playing for a shot at the Big 12 Championship? 

How did we go from "playing for a shot" to Alamo Bowl?

11 minutes ago, North Texas Golfer said:

Yea, not understanding why he gets a free pass. He is the current head coach and this is HIS team. 

6 year contract. Dumbest idea I've ever heard. Incentive based contracts without huge guarantee's would bring us a winner that wasn't scared that he couldn't do it. Do it and make bank. Don't do it and bye.

First I think Sark should have 3 more years at least. Unless next year is like this one.

He certainly should be given any slack on present defense!

He said there was enough talent to win. Did not say what or how many games.

Guess most have recovered from Kansas losshow about nex two games win them an abowl.

This team and irs coaches have been a big disapointment to me. I expected better.

Show some improvement in next games, show you can coach.

24 minutes ago, Eastexhorn said:

First I think Sark should have 3 more years at least. Unless next year is like this one.

He certainly should be given any slack on present defense!

He said there was enough talent to win. Did not say what or how many games.

Guess most have recovered from Kansas losshow about nex two games win them an abowl.

This team and irs coaches have been a big disapointment to me. I expected better.

Show some improvement in next games, show you can coach.

When Sark said that, he did have enough talent. And Thompson's thumb was not hurt. And we were hanging 70 on Tech, who just beat Iowa State.

Things were clicking. Offense was not our problem. I've heard you say that yourself.

PK is where I think your ire could be aimed. But then again, after 20 years of putting together such a shiny reputation for doing what other defenses couldn't, it makes we wonder if he lost his ability when he moved to Austin.

This team has no senior leadership. This team doesn't have many upperclassmen to begin with. You auditioned QBs literally in the last few months. Both of whom were learning a new offense, again.

I think a lot of fans are way overthinking everything about this team. It hasn't gone like we wanted, sure. But it eventually will. I truly believe that.

Sark is twice the coach Mack was. 

7 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Boy.... Click bait?  Your honor, I move to throw this case out due to a complete lack of evidence.

Sark is arguably the best college OC in the nation.  But being a HC is a different animal.  When I was in auto repair.... I noticed that often when the best mechanics were promoted to “manager” they were horrible!  I’ve seen the same in football and Sark is a current candidate for this phenomenon.  The Peter Principle = people tend to rise to their level of incompetence.  

Coordinators are mostly about game planning, X’s and O’s.  HC is a different world.  John Macovick had a tremendous offense   He was a brilliant offensive mind.  But he couldn’t seem to acquire a good DC for some reason.   That or he meddled and wasn’t a good defensive mind?  Texas brass realized this - and John was given a blank check to find the best DC - and his nation-wide search landed him on his own WR coach. David McWilliams was a genius DC.  His 1983 Texas defense gave up an average of 9 points a game. And until Charlie Strong, he was the worst Texas head coach I had ever seen.

Did I mention John Macovick?  Great offensive mind.... teams seem to play unmotivated / without emotion.  John, Meet Sark... y’all may have a lot in common. 

1 hour ago, dillohorn said:

If you don't like my opinion, just block me. I'll block you so I don't have to read your snarky unreasonable posts. Bye.

Damn, lighten up Francis 🙂

The next poster I block on any board I'm on will be the first. I want to read everyone's posts especially those who I don't agree with. I was really just giving you a hard time and, yea, sometimes I can be a little snarky. But I'm not alone when it comes to that as you would know.

But I'm never unreasonable. Well, okay, maybe my wife agrees with you on that one 😉

10 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

When Sark said that, he did have enough talent. And Thompson's thumb was not hurt. And we were hanging 70 on Tech, who just beat Iowa State.

Things were clicking. Offense was not our problem. I've heard you say that yourself.

PK is where I think your ire could be aimed. But then again, after 20 years of putting together such a shiny reputation for doing what other defenses couldn't, it makes we wonder if he lost his ability when he moved to Austin.

This team has no senior leadership. This team doesn't have many upperclassmen to begin with. You auditioned QBs literally in the last few months. Both of whom were learning a new offense, again.

I think a lot of fans are way overthinking everything about this team. It hasn't gone like we wanted, sure. But it eventually will. I truly believe that.

I was kind of going along with on this post until the last sentence. 

Sark may turn out to be twice the coach Mack was when it's all said and done. But there is zero evidence of that so far. And saying "zero" is being kind to Sark right now. 

3 minutes ago, Eastexhorn said:

Sark is twice the coach Mack is. Agree 100% Said in numerous post I do not like PK defense. But t falls on head coach.

Good ole Mack glad he is back at NC. Done less with more than any other Texas coach.

Man, I really don't know where this is coming from saying that Sark is twice the coach Mack is. There is zero evidence of that at this point. It may well come to fruition but no one can point anything right now that supports that assertion. Sorry, it ain't there. 

2 hours ago, 83Dee said:

Boy.... Click bait?  Your honor, I move to throw this case out due to a complete lack of evidence.

Sark is arguably the best college OC in the nation.  But being a HC is a different animal.  When I was in auto repair.... I noticed that often when the best mechanics were promoted to “manager” they were horrible!  I’ve seen the same in football and Sark is a current candidate for this phenomenon.  The Peter Principle = people tend to rise to their level of incompetence.  

Coordinators are mostly about game planning, X’s and O’s.  HC is a different world.  John Macovick had a tremendous offense   He was a brilliant offensive mind.  But he couldn’t seem to acquire a good DC for some reason.   That or he meddled and wasn’t a good defensive mind?  Texas brass realized this - and John was given a blank check to find the best DC - and his nation-wide search landed him on his own WR coach. David McWilliams was a genius DC.  His 1983 Texas defense gave up an average of 9 points a game. And until Charlie Strong, he was the worst Texas head coach I had ever seen.

Did I mention John Macovick?  Great offensive mind.... teams seem to play unmotivated / without emotion.  John, Meet Sark... y’all may have a lot in common. 

agree... Sark needs to get a good OC he can mentor and migrate towards being a head coach of the whole team. 

4 minutes ago, Soldierhorn said:

absent a complete collapse or off field issues (falls off the wagon), I dont see how Sark is not given at least three years. It's only natural that CDC will have more patience with a coach he hired than one he didnt (eg. Herman)

Barring a total program collapse, there is no good reason to NOT give Sark at least 3 years. 

15 minutes ago, Soldierhorn said:

absent a complete collapse or off field issues (falls off the wagon), I dont see how Sark is not given at least three years. It's only natural that CDC will have more patience with a coach he hired than one he didnt (eg. Herman)

That's a matter of opinion, Here is a chance to wager on it. Someone is willing to put up a line on it. Get some if you're confident.

6 hours ago, 83Dee said:

Click bait? Are you kidding? Mack couldn't coach his way out of a phone booth. He was a CEO and loved being a CEO. Mack was never a very good OC. 

Being a candidate for something in one person's mind doesn't mean its to be taken seriously. Color me surprised that you're so ready to fire someone so quickly. You have less than one season from a guy who is one year removed from a national title. It can't be the players! It has to be the coach! lol

You may notice that everything you say has to be done in a possible future tense, meaning, it's not fact, its your own speculation.

The best mechanic I ever met runs his own shop and does all my business and personal auto repairs. You need to get out more. lol

3 hours ago, Johnny Depp said:

After this total program collapse, there is good reason to Not keep Sark at least 3 years. Fify

"After my total collapse of common sense, there is good reason to Not take seriously panic-driven posters for any length of time." FIFY.

3 hours ago, North Texas Golfer said:

Man, I really don't know where this is coming from saying that Sark is twice the coach Mack is. There is zero evidence of that at this point. It may well come to fruition but no one can point anything right now that supports that assertion. Sorry, it ain't there. 

Mack didn't coach. It was one of the main complaints about him during his last few, dismal years here.

He didn't bother trying to coach, which is exhibit A. He left that to the coaches.

Mack wanted to mingle with donors, slap backs, and step in front of microphones when Chris Simms was asked tough questions.

When pitted against a real coach, Mack fell miserably – over and over and over again. Its because he wasn't a good coach and was over his head every time Bob Stoops stepped into the room.

Mack could recruit and manage. Thats about it. His coaching was something to chuckle about.