Athletes with amazing potential that have not seen the field enough this year:

Roshon Johnson

Keilan Robinson

Jonathan Brooks

Hudson Card

Kai Money

Cade Brewer

Jared Wiley

That's not even counting the multiple backups who could be used in other positions.

Everyone is focused on recruiting, meanwhile we have a hole in our bucket with players leaving through the portal.

I'm not sure what you mean by amazing talent and how that can be quantified other than results.  And, "amazing talent" in other sports such as a track athlete (eg. Tylor Owens) might not translate to amazing results on the football field, which is the the context which you are using.  The problem might not be with the athlete but more as a result of Peter Principle and expectations based more on hype from the recruiting industry that builds unreasonable expectations in the fandom. 

I would also argue that I'm not sure anyone on your list qualifies as an "amazing talent" unless THEY prove otherwise. 

The only other conclusions are that the coaches are purposely NOT putting better talent on the field, which does happen for a myriad of reasons (you see it often in basketball as a disciplinary action).  However, I havent seen nor read any disciplinary issues with the players listed so... the only other conclusion, based on your OP, is that you think the coaches are incompetent. I would argue we dont have enough data to say that with any degree of certainty 

1 hour ago, Soldierhorn said:

I'm not sure what you mean by amazing talent and how that can be quantified other than results.  And, "amazing talent" in other sports such as a track athlete (eg. Tylor Owens) might not translate to amazing results on the football field, which is the the context which you are using.  The problem might not be with the athlete but as a result Peter Principle and expectations are based more on hype from the recruiting industry that builds unreasonable expectations in the fandom. 

I would also argue that I'm not sure anyone on your list qualifies as an "amazing talent" unless THEY prove otherwise. 

The only other conclusions are that the coaches are purposely NOT putting better talent on the field, which does happen for a myriad of reasons (you see it often in basketball as a disciplinary action).  However, I havent seen nor read any disciplinary issues with the players listed so... the only other conclusion, based on your OP, is that you think the coaches are incompetent. I would argue we dont have enough data to say that with any degree of certainty 

I don't disagree. I did however say amazing potential. (possibly you were typing while I was editing?)

THEY can't prove otherwise from the bench, or without getting touches.

I disagree, and do think the coaches are incompetent up to this point based on the 4 losses and the inability to change direction with game plan and personnel. They have failed to use some of the above proven weapons and have gone down with the ship. I am not the only one making this observation. 

What we do know, it that this is a whole different world with the portal and NIL and extended years of eligibility. These kids want to play on Sunday more that being a cheerleader for a losing team.

Just now, Soldierhorn said:

good retort...

however, there's a LONG list of successful coaches who had underperforming first years at their current school. Unless it involves a scandal, I'll give a new HC more than one year to turn the culture around. 

Of course I know that. I also can see that we will have to do this sooner rather than later IMO. We don't want a coaching search at the end of the year, there will be few available. The best move is mid year. Let's see where this goes.

Unless there's a scandal (unlikely; well, more than a pole assassin w/monkey) there will not be a coaching search this year, much less mid-year; therefore a HC search discussion is a moot point - not happenin'

As far as wasted talent, I think it is less of an issue on the current roster but a discussion could be had about all the players since 2017 recruiting class that did not live up to expectations (however that is defined & could be coaching development) resulting in disappointing seasons that were hard to reconcile based on recruiting site tabulations. This is also with the understanding that Sark did not "clean house" this year as Strong and Herman did. 

I promise you there is nothing amazing about Cade Brewers potential, if indeed there is any left.

Jared Wiley can't block to save his life.

Brooks doesn't know all the plays, so he's limited when he sees action.

Kai Money would be a great WR at Nicholls State.

These things are learned in Spring and Fall practice.

This thread must have been done in jest or apparently you think you know more than veteran coaches with national title rings on their finger.

When it comes to talent and blue chippers, I think the past Texas staffs have repeatedly failed in evaluating and developing talent. Also, to keep that broken record playing, there's been a huge failure in balancing that talent and actually building a well-rounded team. I think SHA more or less covered my responses on the specific players listed above.

As far as this staff goes, it's way too early to know where we are when it comes to evaluating and developing talent. If players aren't on the field, there's a reason this staff is making that decision. We don't know specifically what's happening in practice, nor do we know what's going on at a micro level with respect to development of these players.

One thing that gives me hope though is Worthy. Sark recruited him at Bama and went after him at Texas after he decommitted from Michigan. Setting aside the transfers, Worthy is the first player Sark brought to this team. I think Sark has an eye for talent, especially on offense, and I'm excited to see what this team looks like with players he brings in.

Edited by longhorn_mig

oh please tell us how you have inside knowledge of what is happening at UT practices and how you are going to get Roschon , Keilan and  touches of the ball when they are still trying to figure out how to get Bijan the ball...surely you cant be suggesting we take away the amount of time Bijan gets the ball

And then please tell us how you get Hudson on the field without breaking up the continuity and flow of your offense...CT aint exactly stinking up the joint, he may not make every throw, but its no guarantee that Hudson does either...CT is this teams QB wether I like it or not so I have decided to support Sark and his choice because he sees what he needs to see to make his decision, doesnt matter if I wanted HC, all my wishing and hoping won't make it so

Sark is trying desperately to get as many people involved in the offense as possible, just because they dont get targeted or get their hands on the ball, is not the coaches fault...when CT goes thru his progressions he has to make a snap decision on what he sees is available, the run plays may be designed for Bijan but if the OL doesnt knock some guys on their rear ends, even Derrick Henry won't pick up yardage

19 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I promise you there is nothing amazing about Cade Brewers potential, if indeed there is any left.

Jared Wiley can't block to save his life.

Brooks doesn't know all the plays, so he's limited when he sees action.

Kai Money would be a great WR at Nicholls State.

These things are learned in Spring and Fall practice.

This thread must have been done in jest or apparently you think you know more than veteran coaches with national title rings on their finger.

Lol, Kai money would be a walk on at Nichols st.  

cade brewer is the perfect example of how yancy kcknight completely screwed this program over.  Brewer came in and was a good athletic TE.  In 2 years he was so bulky and stiff he can hardly run.  Ingram grew a pot belly and thick thighs and added 2-tenths onto his 40 time.  

Brooks will be a good RB in time.  He runs hard and has good vision.  

14 hours ago, Hiwood said:

knowledge of what is happening

Past years and spring practice and some time this year. 

On Keilan, he continues to lead YPR. Roshon has success with the direct snap. Bijan in the middle is killing us. KRob in Whitt's spot is the most obvious move. Hell some of our offensive backups could help our defense.

Continuity and flow? We don't have any. Long past due to try something different.

Sark continues to make decisions like we are undefeated, instead of the biggest dumpster fire around here in a decade. 

5 hours ago, Drb522 said:

Lol, Kai money would be a walk on at Nichols st.

He has the best hands on the team, and gets open. He is Money. Julian Edelman says hello.

Brooks good in time?. Wouldn't it be nice if we had discovered what we had in Bijan earlier last year as a Freshman?

I have no idea what's going on in practice, but a lot of times, younger RBs don't get on the field due to pass protection and their ability to pick up blitzing defenders. Considering our offensive line woes, Sark may be especially mindful of that issue in the decisions he's making.

Edited by longhorn_mig

2 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Here is a link to The Football Brainiacs story from yesterday which literally destroys any idea that we're dealing with a loaded roster and waste talent.

It is extensive, detailed, factual and also a very good read.

https://utdonors.thefootballbrainiacs.com/thirsty-thursday-honest-chat-part-ii-2-qbs-in-22-hoops-notes/

That's a pay site. Cliff note's of their opine?

59 minutes ago, longhorn_mig said:

I have no idea what's going on in practice, but a lot of time, younger RBs don't get on the field due to pass protection and their ability to pick up blitzing defenders. Considering our offensive line woes, Sark may be especially mindful of that issue in the decisions he's making.

It can't get any worse.

3 minutes ago, Johnny Depp said:

That's a pay site. Cliff note's of their opine?

I posted excerpts from the article yesterday in the Longhorn non-recruiting thread. It included three different players from their long list of recruits from 2018-forward who were busts, medical, grades, transfer, etc. from those classes as well as evaluations of those who stayed at Texas.

1 minute ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I posted excerpts from the article yesterday in the Longhorn non-recruiting thread. It included three different players from their long list of recruits from 2018-forward who were busts, medical, grades, transfer, etc. from those classes as well as evaluations of those who stayed at Texas.

Thanks. Facts though is what NTG posted about blue chip count still on the team. Irrefutable.

it appears JD you just want to post negativity and stir the pot.  If that isn't a troll i don't know what is.  Bench our Heisman worthy RB without a line to start three other RBs?  We have rotated TE.  Where did you get your football knowledge at A&M or OU?  I can ignore your posts, but when you start posting worthless threads, i question the moderators.  I am fine with constructive criticism, but i just see negative BS.  This team would be worse with Herman and I for one am happy to have Sark.  Herman couldn't get any of the top lineman in TX in a year full of them except Hayden and he wasn't ranked the best of the bunch.  No wonder we have issues.  We wouldn't have Worthy either.

Your arm chair quarterbacking is so off you either don't know football or again, are a troll so go be bored somewhere else.  Most of us are disappointed with the performance to date, you must be enjoying it.  Have you not noticed they are stacking the line to stop the run.  Hello, don't need a different RB.