Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Has Casey Thompson reached is peak?

Mac-7

Real journalism, not homer excuse making.

https://longhornswire.usatoday.com/2021/10/18/texas-longhorns-football-steve-sarkisian-oklahoma-state-big-12-second-half-collapse-lose/

"It seemed that after he threw his first interception, which was returned for a touchdown, his confidence plummeted and any sign of the good quarterback we had once seen vanished. Thompson injured his thumb against Oklahoma, and started the Oklahoma State game with it wrapped, but later took the tape off. Not sure if it was his thumb that was the cause of his performance, but Thompson dropped multiple snaps, his throws lacked more zip than normal, and he was horrendously inaccurate completing just 55% of his passes.

Thompson has not completed more than 60% of his passes nor has he put up a QBR over 65 since the Texas Tech game.

Starting on offense like I already mentioned, Sarkisian insisted on passing when Thompson was in the midst of his worst career game rather than just handing the ball off in a multitude of ways to Robinson. Sarkisian also got Keilan Robinson involved for just one play on a jet sweep that went for 25 yards, and never game him another touch. When your quarterback can’t throw, and your offensive line couldn’t block long enough for him to throw even if he could make a good pass, you would think the coach would get creative in terms of moving the ball. In the second half of the last two games, it seems as if there is a lot more brakes than gas on offense.

The third and final factor was that Casey Thompson was clearly hurting or off his game, and the staff did not do a good enough job putting him position to succeed since they decided to keep him in. Thompson looked scared in the pocket, which is understandable, but why would Sarkisian not have him use his legs? I also question if he should have even been playing in the first place, as his throws were just missing the mark all game outside of a few. I don’t know if this means they should go back to Hudson Card, but maybe consider adjusting the play call to allow for Thompson to not have to believe in his offensive line made of paper."

Meanwhile, Sark doubles down on stupid and say's he's going with Casey..

1 hour ago, Johnny Depp said:

Real journalism, not homer excuse making.

https://longhornswire.usatoday.com/2021/10/18/texas-longhorns-football-steve-sarkisian-oklahoma-state-big-12-second-half-collapse-lose/

"It seemed that after he threw his first interception, which was returned for a touchdown, his confidence plummeted and any sign of the good quarterback we had once seen vanished. Thompson injured his thumb against Oklahoma, and started the Oklahoma State game with it wrapped, but later took the tape off. Not sure if it was his thumb that was the cause of his performance, but Thompson dropped multiple snaps, his throws lacked more zip than normal, and he was horrendously inaccurate completing just 55% of his passes.

Thompson has not completed more than 60% of his passes nor has he put up a QBR over 65 since the Texas Tech game.

Starting on offense like I already mentioned, Sarkisian insisted on passing when Thompson was in the midst of his worst career game rather than just handing the ball off in a multitude of ways to Robinson. Sarkisian also got Keilan Robinson involved for just one play on a jet sweep that went for 25 yards, and never game him another touch. When your quarterback can’t throw, and your offensive line couldn’t block long enough for him to throw even if he could make a good pass, you would think the coach would get creative in terms of moving the ball. In the second half of the last two games, it seems as if there is a lot more brakes than gas on offense.

The third and final factor was that Casey Thompson was clearly hurting or off his game, and the staff did not do a good enough job putting him position to succeed since they decided to keep him in. Thompson looked scared in the pocket, which is understandable, but why would Sarkisian not have him use his legs? I also question if he should have even been playing in the first place, as his throws were just missing the mark all game outside of a few. I don’t know if this means they should go back to Hudson Card, but maybe consider adjusting the play call to allow for Thompson to not have to believe in his offensive line made of paper."

Meanwhile, Sark doubles down on stupid and say's he's going with Casey..

Good take.  The problem with posting stuff like this, whether it be original or a link, is that a lot of the fan base can not handle critical assessments and just resort to insults.  

4 hours ago, Soldierhorn said:

Good take.  The problem with posting stuff like this, whether it be original or a link, is that a lot of the fan base can not handle critical assessments and just resort to insults.  

I think it's BS. If it's "good journalism" as our panic queen claims, then why was the journalist seemingly afraid to state the entire list of facts?

It's hard to make someone look bad when they lead the conference in QB rating.

Presenting one side of the story is the chronic problem with today's media. When the story well is dry, this is what the unethical writer does. And there is, unfortunately, an audience out there who just eat it up because it serves their agenda.

I ran a newsroom for 20 years. This is a story I would have wadded up and thrown at the writer.

"When the QB can't throw" . . . this is a piss poor opinion that is easily debunked by the nearest chimpanzee. 

In one paragraph where he notes that Thompson was either hurt or off his game – he fails to mention a very important point – that Sark had more trust in Thompson, hurt, than he did with fresh legs Card.

Wow, how do you miss that?

27 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I think it's BS. If it's "good journalism" as our panic queen claims, then why was the journalist seemingly afraid to state the entire list of facts?

It's hard to make someone look bad when they lead the conference in QB rating.

Presenting one side of the story is the chronic problem with today's media. When the story well is dry, this is what the unethical writer does. And there is, unfortunately, an audience out there who just eat it up because it serves their agenda.

Not trying to start something but did you just do the same thing?  Stats need context unless someone is trying to make a one-sided point.  CT's QB rating is trending down.  PFF doesnt even have him in the top 50 (57th I believe). They have Caleb Williams (0U), Max Duggan (TCU), Spencer Rattler (0U), & Tyler Shough (TTU) all in the top 50 with CW at #2 & MD at #4 (IIRC).  I take PFF stats like I take all stats: with a large grain of salt

I think I can read & decide for myself if something is unnecessarily critical or one-sided. 

11 minutes ago, Soldierhorn said:

Not trying to start something but did you just do the same thing?  Stats need context unless someone is trying to make a one-sided point.  CT's QB rating is trending down.  PFF doesnt even have him in the top 50 (57th I believe). They have Caleb Williams (0U), Max Duggan (TCU), Spencer Rattler (0U), & Tyler Shough (TTU) all in the top 50 with CW at #2 & MD at #4 (IIRC).  I take PFF stats like I take all stats: with a large grain of salt

I think I can read & decide for myself if something is unnecessarily critical or one-sided. 

No, I didn't. I threw out one fact when I could've lined up dozens. The point was, I only needed to say that one fact to make you wonder why the writer never even mentioned it.

Any QB rating will trend down after consecutive weeks of OU and OSU. OSU had one of the better defenses we'll see this year.

But "trending down" really doesn't mean much when you don't, as you said, present context – such as mentioning why it may be trending down. Geez, Staubach trended down when he played the Steelers. Should Landry have benched him? lol

Thompson leads the conference in TD passes, despite not playing for the first 1.5 games. Tell me, what do you want your QB to do? Oh, score touchdowns.

I understand you can read. But in deciding for yourself, you never bothered to ask "where are all the other facts? why aren't they here?" You simply ran into a writer who manipulated your thinking rather than inform you. 

Maybe it's my comprehension?

https://www.espn.com/college-football/qbr/_/group/4

Total QBR - Big 12
RK
NAME
QBR PAA PLAYS EPA PASS RUN SACK PEN RAW
76.6 27.3 225 30.4 28.9 5.2 -3.9 0.2 77.9
74.1 22.9 222 29.6 30.4 5.6 -6.5 0.2 74.5
71.0 21.9 233 29.0 36.1 -1.2 -5.7 -0.3 72.6
64.5 16.8 213 23.3 26.0 0.5 -3.0 -0.2 69.5
62.8 6.6 206 15.1 14.1 3.2 -3.9 1.9 58.3
61.1 5.8 200 11.7 16.0 1.6 -6.1 0.3 57.4
60.7 6.1 153 8.5 11.5 -0.2 -2.8 0.1 60.2
57.1 5.5 231 13.7 23.7 -0.5 -9.2 -0.3 56.2
34.8 -6.2 221 3.3 6.8 1.7 -4.8 -0.2 42.8
Sorry, I couldn't get the columns to line up. 
GLOSSARY

• QBR:Adjusted Total Quarterback Rating, which values the quarterback on all play types on a 0-100 scale adjusted for the strength of opposing defenses faced.
  • PAA:Number of points contributed by a quarterback, accounting for QBR and how much he plays, above the level of an average quarterback.
  • PLAYS:Plays on which the QB has a non-zero expected points contribution. Includes most plays that are not handoffs.
  • EPA:Total expected points added with low leverage plays, according to ESPN Win Probability model, down-weighted.
  • PASS:Expected points added on pass attempts with low leverage plays down-weighted.
  • RUN:Clutch-weighted expected points added through rushes
  • SACK:Expected points added on sacks with low leverage plays down-weighted.
  • PEN:Expected points added on penalties with low leverage plays down-weighted.
  • RAW:Raw Total Quarterback Rating, which values quarterback on all play types on a 0-100 scale (not adjusted for opposing defenses faced)
  • Season Leaders: To qualify, a player must play a minimum of 20 action plays per team game

• 2 weeks later...

https://longhornswire.usatoday.com/lists/texas-football-longhorns-steve-sarkisian-media-press-conference-said-monday-iowa-state-casey-thompson/

Steve Sarkisian addresses the quarterback controversy

Sark says Casey Thompson will remain the starter at quarterback. "I think Casey has done some good things for us...Hudson (Card) is chomping at the bit for another opportunity, so we'll see where it goes from here."

While he is saying Casey Thompson is the starter, he did not shut down any thoughts that Hudson Card may get another crack at the job. Thompson has made costly mistakes in each of the last few games, whether it be the pick six against Oklahoma State or the multiple missed touchdown passes against Baylor. All three of Thompson’s wins this season are against teams that are currently or likely will end up below .500. Thompson has shown flashes, but he has not played a complete game, and Sarkisian may be starting to think about giving Card another chance.

From what I have seen Casey has been at his best when he can sit in the pocket and feel comfortable.  Once he gets pressured he forces throws, misses reads, and waits too long to escape the pocket.  Unfortunately our OL has gotten worse each game since Red River Shootout so his play has trended down as well.  And now defenses know they can disrupt the offense by getting to Casey with little resistance.  

I cannot understand how Sarkesian and Flood could have misread the quality of the OL in the off season.  If they would have assessed it properly my guess is we would have acquired some O-Lineman from the transfer portal.  It's not a guarantee that those players would be any better but we wouldn't know because they never hit the portal.  It makes me wonder about their ability to evaluate talent.  

16 minutes ago, Eastexhorn said:

Most QBS cannot handle pressure. Very hard to scheme around a weak OL.

Agree withpoor evalution of OL. May be our poor defense made OL look good!

Not sure about poor evaluation? It seems we've known they suck for a long time now?

A good running QB changes everything. Sam never waited around for blocks, he saw ghosts and took off.

50 minutes ago, Eastexhorn said:

Most QBS cannot handle pressure. Very hard to scheme around a weak OL.

Agree withpoor evalution of OL. May be our poor defense made OL look good!

I've lived that pressure. lol In HS, we had one kid on the team who was over 200 lbs and he was not on the OL. We did fine until we played a team with any size.

We played Paris that year at their place. They were like #3 in the state at the time. Not a player on their DL under 230 (which was big back then).

I remember being in the huddle late in the game, thinking about what the movie was I had watched where a player was pulling sod out of his face mask . . . as I was pulling sod out of my facemark. lol

I had about two seconds from snap to decide where I would throw it. lol I think I was sacked six times that night.

6 minutes ago, Johnny Depp said:

Caption this?

casey.thumb.jpg.2a7891660497cadd2c2548bd49d89072.jpg

Let's go beyond the caption...

HC: Dude, have you heard of this Johnny Depp guy?

CT: Is that the guy that's obsessed with you?

HC: Yeah bro. That's him. He says I should start over you, which is cool. But he also keeps showing up at my place, wanting to hang out. He keeps sending me letters. He calls and texts me constantly. I mean, I've changed my number three times already, and he keeps tracking me down and getting the new number. This is serious, bro. Should I contact law enforcement?

CT: He thinks you should start over me?

HC: Bro, this is serious. Are you even listening to me?

5 minutes ago, longhorn_mig said:

HC: Yeah bro. That's him. He says I should start over you, which is cool. But he also keeps showing up at my place, wanting to hang out. He keeps sending me letters. He calls and texts me constantly. I mean, I've changed my number three times already, and he keeps tracking me down and getting the new number. This is serious, bro. Should I contact law enforcement?

At the very least, this is the post of the week. And probably the month. And just maybe the year. 

5 hours ago, zion3d said:

I cannot understand how Sarkesian and Flood could have misread the quality of the OL in the off season.  If they would have assessed it properly my guess is we would have acquired some O-Lineman from the transfer portal.  It's not a guarantee that those players would be any better but we wouldn't know because they never hit the portal.  It makes me wonder about their ability to evaluate talent.  

Most of the guys here were not evaluated by Sark and staff. Not sure getting quality Oline in the portal is any easier than getting them through recruting... which Texas just hasn't done well in 10 years.

We also saw what happens when a new coach runs errybody off when Strong got here. That first year was more difficult than it needed to be. First year coaches are forced to play whoever is available and build from there.

10 minutes ago, longhorn_mig said:

Awesome job! That is entertaining! Who's next?