Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Has Casey Thompson reached is peak?

Mac-7

Texas now out of the Big 12 race.      Its not time to replace Casey Thompson as the starting QB, but maybe we need to give Hudson Card more 1st team snaps in practice and more game time

I think the offensive line is the weakest part of the team

Texas can move the ball with big plays, but what we need is more sustained drives 

and thats a reflection on the O-line 

You can bet that HC is getting plenty of reps in practice, and that he is doing more than carrying a clipboard, But Sark is still trying to win games, Im an HC fan  but now isn't the time to start experimenting, we need to become bowl eligible and position ourselves for having a HUGE recruiting season...lots of playing time left for everyone, lets just hope nobody gets hurt and makes the decision for Sark

I get the frustrations, but it's not all on Casey. He definitely shares some of the blame, but he's far from the biggest problem. I really wish we could see him with a competent O-line. If this staff fails to bring in 3 solid OL transfers, it's straight up coaching malpractice.

That said, depending on how things go with Baylor and Iowa State, I wouldn't be shocked if Card starts against KU. That would be the most ideal game to start the Freshman. If you put him out there against Baylor and Iowa State, there's more potential for him to get pummeled and hurt his development and confidence more.

4 minutes ago, longhorn_mig said:

If you put him out there against Baylor and Iowa State,

We might win.

Casey has been injured for 2 games. Coincidentally we have had an offensive collapse in 2 games. With the season in the trash can, there is nothing to lose trying out other players. I wouldn't count on this staff to change their stripes though. They will likely ride the horse that got them here. 

Bud, I'm just saying what I assume the coaching staff will do. Sark and that staff know way more about football then we will ever know in our lifetimes. All we heard about in camp was Casey had an issue throwing INTs and Hudson had an issue taking bad sacks. Both QBs have shown that to be true in their respective playing time. There is a reason they're playing Casey over Hudson. Based on on horrific O-line play, I'm assuming they've decided a porous O-line with a QB that takes bad sacks is a bad combo. I'm assuming they've decided to go with Casey and live with his decision making, good and bad.

Also, those two losses were not on Casey alone, and honestly, I'm going to put very little blame on him for the OU loss. The biggest problem with the offense is terrible O-line play. We played some weaker opponents and they looked better. Then we played more competent defenses with actual pass rushers and they went back to looking like 5 turnstiles. It's hard to do anything on offense when your O-line is plain and simply not very good. Heck, I can't believe we've put up as many points as we have with that O-line.

They are not going to make lineup changes to satisfy the fan base. The team NEEDS at least 7 wins this season or they will take a HUGE perception hit, which usually causes more negative recruiting.  

Casey will be here another year after this and benching him at this point could be detrimental. Normally I would say if Texas gets up by two TDs or more, then give backups meaningful game reps but losing multiple games this year after being up three TDs causes one to think they need to be up by 4 TDs before changing game rotation.  At this point, winning games is more important than preparing for next season, IMO

19 minutes ago, longhorn_mig said:

Bud, I'm just saying what I assume the coaching staff will do. Sark and that staff know way more about football then we will ever know in our lifetimes. All we heard about in camp was Casey had an issue throwing INTs and Hudson had an issue taking bad sacks. Both QBs have shown that to be true in their respective playing time. There is a reason they're playing Casey over Hudson. Based on on horrific O-line play, I'm assuming they've decided a porous O-line with a QB that takes bad sacks is a bad combo. I'm assuming they've decided to go with Casey and live with his decision making, good and bad.

Also, those two losses were not on Casey alone, and honestly, I'm going to put very little blame on him for the OU loss. The biggest problem with the offense is terrible O-line play. We played some weaker opponents and they looked better. Then we played more competent defenses with actual pass rushers and they went back to looking like 5 turnstiles. It's hard to do anything on offense when your O-line is plain and simply not very good. Heck, I can't believe we've put up as many points as we have with that O-line.

The O-line has been bad forever. Sark knew that when he came here. Trying to constantly run out the clock with Bijan between the tackles is unforgivable. 

It is absolutely not all on Casey. But he has been playing hurt. When you can't run the ball, it always means because the defense isn't scared of your pass.

2 minutes ago, Johnny Depp said:

The O-line has been bad forever. Sark knew that when he came here. Trying to constantly run out the clock with Bijan between the tackles is unforgivable. 

Dude...it's not like Sark is having Bijan run into the middle of the line three times and punting the ball every drive. You can literally go back and look at the drive summaries and see that's not the case.

Also, if you see Sark's play calling as the problem, then what difference is Card going to make? Serious question.

2 hours ago, Johnny Depp said:

It is absolutely not all on Casey. But he has been playing hurt. When you can't run the ball, it always means because the defense isn't scared of your pass.

agree... Sark is arguably the best offensive mind that Texas has ever had (and, no, GD doesnt even come close) and I'm surprised he has been as predictable using Bijan as he has been.  If you bang your head against the wall and it hurts, do you continue banging your head? I hope not.  If the OL has a hard time opening holes, then you have to get more creative. I dont see hardly any trap or belly (RB dive plays with RB/FB leading blockers) plays nor do I see very many off-tackle plays that isnt a stretch play (which are slow developing). If the OL cant do the job inside, they need to get the playmakers outside. Sark insinuates misdirection plays but rarely implements it. 

Something that REALLY annoyed me during the game was when they ran a veer-type option (double or triple option is still the best play in football; always has been and always will be). It wasnt the play call (I love the option) but the fact that they ran it to the short side of the field and the out of bounds boundary worked against them. That play should have been to the field side so the talent out in space so they can have wider movement options.  When you have a pass-first offensive mentality, something as basic as an option play effectively becomes a trick play... and that's frustrating to watch 

14 minutes ago, longhorn_mig said:

Dude...it's not like Sark is having Bijan run into the middle of the line three times and punting the ball every drive. You can literally go back and look at the drive summaries and see that's not the case.

Also, if you see Sark's play calling as the problem, then what difference is Card going to make? Serious question.

On our last touchdown BR was stuffed twice and luckily got in on the 3rd try by going outside. It has been a trend to fail in the red zone that way. In our last four 3 and outs BR was the offensive plan, until it was 3rd and long.

It is the play calling more than the players IMO. Card revives the passing game threat that is lacking since Casey's injury.

21 minutes ago, Johnny Depp said:

On our last touchdown BR was stuffed twice and luckily got in on the 3rd try by going outside. It has been a trend to fail in the red zone that way. In our last four 3 and outs BR was the offensive plan, until it was 3rd and long.

It is the play calling more than the players IMO. Card revives the passing game threat that is lacking since Casey's injury.

Ok, if Card is going to revive the passing game threat, is the issue then the play calling or Casey's injury?

1 hour ago, longhorn_mig said:

Ok, if Card is going to revive the passing game threat, is the issue then the play calling or Casey's injury?

Both. Pretty obvious they are working around CT11's injury. The stats since the  OU injury for passing have fallen off the cliff that we all want to drive off of. 

3 hours ago, Johnny Depp said:

The season is over.

Help me out here . . . during the summer when all we had to do around here was make season predictions, . . wasn't there a consensus that we'd lose 3-5 games? And now we enter the easier part of our schedule?

When did a 1 or 2 loss season become the deal-breaker expectation?

19 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Help me out here . . . during the summer when all we had to do around here was make season predictions, . . wasn't there a consensus that we'd lose 3-5 games? And now we enter the easier part of our schedule?

When did a 1 or 2 loss season become the deal-breaker expectation?

When our potential was exposed at a much higher expectation. We could easily be in a playoff position right now, if we had a coach that was a game manager.

3 minutes ago, Johnny Depp said:

When our potential was exposed at a much higher expectation. We could easily be in a playoff position right now, if we had a coach that was a game manager.

As the great Don Meredith once said "If ifs and buts were cotton candy, at Christmas time we'd all be dandy."

I don't think our "potential was exposed." We beat a trio of teams bad that we should have beaten bad. Thats a trend away from the previous UT HCs.

1 hour ago, Johnny Depp said:

In the 1st quarters it seemed like they had a plan.

BTW, I'm not trying to be a prick with the questions. I really am trying to figure out where you're coming from since we tend to disagree on some things.

So, regarding that whole plan thing, I'd love for someone that has a lot of free time to investigate this more. Sark in his pressers has basically said the team starts off the game executing. Then, something bad happens and they basically hit a mental wall. He tries to break them out of it calling plays that they executed earlier in the game to build that confidence back up. However, as we've all seen, that execution doesn't happen. I don't have the time to go and watch game film to see if that is in fact happening, but considering the mental baggage this team has carried for 10+ years, I'd have to say it's definitely possible.

In general, we've been a team that takes a couple of punches to the mouth and folds up shop. I'd say the only exception was our time with Sam. He was not the most talented QB we've ever had, but the other team had to battle to put him down. We won a lot of games we wouldn't have otherwise based on his sheer will and determination.

Unfortunately, I think the program turnaround requires some combo of a true stud at QB that is a born leader and wills his team to victory, coupled with a HC that can unlock his potential. Now, I'm too young to talk about James Street, but in more recent history, Texas wasn't Texas until Vince Young and Colt McCoy walked on that field. Look at VY's team. They took on his persona, were cocky as hell (because they had earned it), and mud stomped other teams that got in their way. If the team was struggling, VY took over and said, "I got this." We have literally not had a QB like that since Colt in 2008.

I admittedly know that VY was a generational talent and you can't expect to have a QB like that year after year. I'm just saying, I think that's literally what it will take to turn the program around because this program does not know how to win anymore. They need a coach and leader on the field to teach them how to do it again. Until then, we will continue to be mediocre and sure as heck won't be challenging for national titles.

Edited by longhorn_mig