Find results in...

Quick Thoughts and Takeaways: Texas blows 21 point lead in loss to Oklahoma

46 minutes ago, zion3d said:

Question for the experts.  Are the issues with the Texas defense:

A.  Talent

B. Scheme

C. Both

D. Consistency

It varies, IMO. By the way, I'm no expert either.

At DE, it's been talent. Now we've decided to start Alfred Collins and he's been the only thing we've had with a pass rush.

At corner, it's D. You don't hear about the plays they make so much as the plays they don't make. Got to get better with the long ball.

At safety, it's A. I know Foster was highly ranked, but like someone said above, he's one of those who has some bad habits and they don't break overnight.

OU is no slouch on offense so its hard to be terribly critical. Rattler was our biggest hope and he got taken from the game. With Caleb, that machine just revved up again.

It was the tale of two defenses.  How can we have played so well the first half and so poorly the second? With the coaching prowess that we have on the sidelines how could they have allowed this to happen?  You could see the handwriting on the wall but no one knew how to stop it.  Remember 2018 when we were going into the 4th quarter up 45-24 and OU scored 3 TD's.  I chalked it up as a Herman issue but now history has repeated itself.  You just sit and wonder why?

36 minutes ago, zion3d said:

I only ask because if you cannot identify which one of these issues is the problem you cannot fix it.  

When I played and we made a bad initial first step, we got hit with a walking stick usually on the shoulder pads. 

I think they should shoot them with paint guns for bad technique moves.  three paint ball stains and you get replaced for a while

9 minutes ago, zion3d said:

It was the tale of two defenses.  How can we have played so well the first half and so poorly the second? With the coaching prowess that we have on the sidelines how could they have allowed this to happen?  You could see the handwriting on the wall but no one knew how to stop it.  Remember 2018 when we were going into the 4th quarter up 45-24 and OU scored 3 TD's.  I chalked it up as a Herman issue but now history has repeated itself.  You just sit and wonder why?

bad technique on UT's side and a LOT of luck on 0U's side. He's not the only one but using Foster as an example again: of the four 0U second half plays that went for over 40 yds, Foster was in position to change the game on three of them and failed due to indecision, bad angles, falling over himself, etc. 

There has to be shared responsibility between the players and the coaches. If you have a guy that is getting burned or gashed you either have to get him to dial in better or sit him on the bench and allow some else to take his place even though that player might not be as talented.  Who knows it might make the started focus better when or if he re-enters the game. 

On the other side of the ball it seems that we never adjusted to the pressure that Casey was getting in the second half.  I don't know what Sark's playbook looks like but having Casey continually trying to stay in a collapsing pocket was an exercise in futility.  It reminded me of the Arkansas game when Sark had a lost look on his face.  Maybe its just me.  

Luck is he right word forOU. All the calls, allthe ball bounces, all the in or out of bounds.

Still Texasshould have won the game.

DE mostly talent

DB mostly technique does not look at ball.

Some on coaches or player not listening still on coach.

IMO atending to small is what made DKR and Sabin great coaches

On OU QB long run should have been stopped at line of scrimage tackler just missed could see not see hls number.

No expert just a old country boy who has watched a lot of football.

2 hours ago, zion3d said:

On the other side of the ball it seems that we never adjusted to the pressure that Casey was getting in the second half.  I don't know what Sark's playbook looks like but having Casey continually trying to stay in a collapsing pocket was an exercise in futility.  It reminded me of the Arkansas game when Sark had a lost look on his face.  Maybe its just me.  

It looks like the experiment moving Kerstetter inside was a mistake. He's back to playing RT this week. 

17 hours ago, Eastexhorn said:

On OU QB long run should have been stopped at line of scrimage tackler just missed could see not see hls number

Foster SHOULD have had QB in the backfield when DE made QB bounce it outside.  Foster looked like he didnt treat the QB as a RB, which he should have once Williams tucked the ball.  It looked like a called running play.  

1549246815_CWTDrun(1).thumb.jpg.51efbb23930686106189c42c6704bc0c.jpg

Thompson being the containment guy on that side CAN NOT miss this tackle... but he did. Foster looked like he was going 3/4 speed and unsure of himself.  Great safety blitz call & Foster should have sacked him

CW TD run (2).jpg

On 10/14/2021 at 9:16 AM, Eastexhorn said:

Great view of the play. If Foster had hit him wouldnot have wraped up and QB would went on aways.

probably. If that is the case, then Foster should be benched for a while. His athletic talent is what is suppose to make these type plays work

I love the safety blitz call but Foster wasnt the right blitzer. There is something missing in his game and it's probably between the ears. Foster came in untouched. His only concern SHOULD have been to be a missile to the ball carrier and at the very least cause disruption so someone else could get the ball carrier. Foster doesnt do any of that and looks unsure of himself.  If he was told to watch for misdirection (eg, a reverse) then he misread the play.  Priority 1 is get to the ball carrier as fast as possible; priority 2, while taking the 5-6 steps to the ball carrier watch for a misdirection play.  If no RB/WR is coming towards the ball carrier (QB) or you (blitzer), as in this case, then it's not a misdirection play

The risk of calling a safety blitz is that if he doesnt get to the ball carrier or cause disruption, then the 3rd level (beyond he LBs) is wide open. In this case a second safety might have prevented a TD when Thompson lost containment due to his lack of fundamental tackling technique.

6 hours ago, Eastexhorn said:

Great view of the play. If Foster had hit him wouldnot have wraped up and QB would went on aways.

1 hour ago, Eastexhorn said:

Should have blitzed Cook or Overshown. Pains me to see other teams DB hit aball carrer wrap up and hold on till help arrives.

I remember Manny Diaz's alligator roll tackling technique, which was both interesting and irritating at the same time. But, somewhere between then and now (most likely from 2017 onward with Orlando &/or Naivar) someone has been teaching, pushing, advocating or ignoring terrible technique.  This lowering the helmet and diving at the runner more often than not just throws a shoulder at air.  40-50 yrs ago, we would have been benched doing that more than once or twice. Back then, then only time we lowered our helmet was right before contact IF and only if you could put your helmet on the ball trying to cause a fumble while wrapping up around the waist.  Sterns was throwing his shoulder last year as well and Foster injured his shoulder doing it (and still does it). 

Hopefully this crap gets fixed with the new regime.  

PS. tackling a good RB that leans forward and leads with his helmet and shoulder pads is different.  you have to get lower than he is to get at his waist/legs and hopefully put your helmet on the ball at the same time.... but that's not what we are talking about with DBs.  A good, strong RB can push off an undersized DB that leaves his his feet to throw a shoulder. 

And, as if it was planned, there is an article and thread on the USC board about this exact thing... 

DC Todd Orlando, safeties coach Craig Naivar on USC's tackling issues

https://247sports.com/college/usc/Article/USC-Trojans-football-DC-Todd-Orlando-safeties-coach-Craig-Naivar-on-USCs-tackling-issues--173085187/

A couple of quick comments from the thread:

"No one feels safe with our Safeties on the field right now."

"The fact that we are now reduced to remedial high school training because we can't even do the basics is pathetic."

"What happened to that cornball "vow to fix this" BULL**** that Orlando and crew spewed a few weeks ago?"