Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

GAME THREAD: #21 Texas Longhorns vs. #6 Oklahoma Sooners

12 minutes ago, DMAC said:

I just saw the list lots of DL commits.  Hopefully one of these guys has the impact of Malcolm Brown.  Our DL has not been dominant since the Mack Brown years with Malcolm Brown and Hassan Ridgeway.  

Overall, this year's version has been very disappointing. Not sure if its scheme or ability but none of them seem to be consistently dominant like the two you mention. Really expected Big Al to breakout this year. Did not see much of Murphy today. He has shown some ability.

2 hours ago, Eastexhorn said:

Other than themselves have they played a common opoenent?

Other than RB what position is Texas better at. OL?

Not yet, but a good offense will make a difference even against common opponents.

This forum has been a wonderful place for me to vent my frustrations but honestly I’m so tired of being frustrated that I have no comment regarding today’s game.  I’m a fan and always will be but regretfully I have been beaten into submission to the point that there is no point for me to make anymore.

The years of losing and empty promises have rendered me speechless.  Maybe it’s time to let the coaches figure it out, after all they are making the high salaries to do just that.  I will still cheer and hope that one of these years we will see the return of the Texas Longhorns  to a championship.  Until then I will try to keep the faith and enjoy reading all of your comments on the progression or digression of the program.  

11 hours ago, DMAC said:

Wtf.  Sheep shaggers are beating Bama

I watched Aggie beat BAMA by whipping them at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball.  

In my wildest imagination I cannot fathom Texas doing that on their best day.  Right now, if we podded up with Aggie OU and Arkansas... Texas is last place and there is a huge gap separating them from the next.  

I’m not all doom and gloom.... I’m just saying that Sark had better hit the recruiting trail and then develop all things OL and defense or this SEC experiment is going to be an absolute nightmare.  

28 minutes ago, 83Dee said:

I watched Aggie beat BAMA by whipping them at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball.  

In my wildest imagination I cannot fathom Texas doing that on their best day.  Right now, if we podded up with Aggie OU and Arkansas... Texas is last place and there is a huge gap separating them from the next.  

I’m not all doom and gloom.... I’m just saying that Sark had better hit the recruiting trail and then develop all things OL and defense or this SEC experiment is going to be an absolute nightmare.  

Sadly, this is 100% accurate. 

As Mike always says, we suck until we don't. 

6 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

How do you instill confidence in a team that's used to losing big games and having subpar seasons for more than a decade?

You start by beating an inferior team that out coached you and has owned you for a decade. Did that last week.

Next, you remain aggressive on Off and Def for 60 min. Haven’t done that yet.

Third, you bounce back from a crushing loss to beat a quality opponent. Saturday will tell us more on the growth of this team.

Game planed for a different QB? Our coaching staff can not make adjustments during a game?

To me defence Cord. might not be as good as his resume says. He is not in Pac. 10 any more.

If you did not see a$m vs Ala. you missed what defenceive football is all about.

Honestly, the skill positions are fine. Our Oline and Dline are atrocious. 

oline- they look like a high school line. Herman truly screwed us here. The highest rated Offensive linemen we’ve signed sits on the sideline and makes beats for the hype videos. Sark I’m sure will Hit the portal hard, and will have a good selling point of early playing time. RT was terrible, they literally just ran around him all game, non stop.

D-line is okay at times but has zero depth and zero push. I would imagine Sanders will be moved here soon. Ugh and tackling would be nice.

I would expect most of these players that Herman recruited to be pushed to the portal, and we will have a HUGE signing class. Sark even said this roster isn’t the way he would have built it.

OU has been steady for decades. They never quit. They don't live in a soft, liberal environment that UT and Austin provide. OU plods along and doesn't hide from their alma mater. Even with the outstanding winning tradition, OU players never get a sense of entitlement that the Horns have had for years. Sad. I don't know how or if it can be changed at UT no matter what coach or recruits are brought in. The evidence is there in plain sight. .................and another thing.......UT is making a great mistake in going to the SEC. It's all about money. As far as winning, UT can't even get out of the middle pack of the B12. I hate this, but it's a fact.

15 minutes ago, dillohorn said:

OU has been steady for decades. They never quit. They don't live in a soft, liberal environment that UT and Austin provide. OU plods along and doesn't hide from their alma mater. Even with the outstanding winning tradition, OU players never get a sense of entitlement that the Horns have had for years. Sad. I don't know how or if it can be changed at UT no matter what coach or recruits are brought in. The evidence is there in plain sight. .................and another thing.......UT is making a great mistake in going to the SEC. It's all about money. As far as winning, UT can't even get out of the middle pack of the B12. I hate this, but it's a fact.

Maybe, or hopefully there can be some change with a coach that has experienced college football on the biggest stage. Herman had success at Houston, Strong at Louisville. Not saying Sark is the second coming of Saban or Urban but maybe he has seen what it takes and will be able to develop Texas into what they can and should be. Then again, maybe I'll win the lotto tonight. It could happen.lol

2 hours ago, T-ShirtHorn said:

oline- they look like a high school line. Herman truly screwed us here. The highest rated Offensive linemen we’ve signed sits on the sideline and makes beats for the hype videos. Sark I’m sure will Hit the portal hard, and will have a good selling point of early playing time. RT was terrible, they literally just ran around him all game, non stop.

D-line is okay at times but has zero depth and zero push. I would imagine Sanders will be moved here soon. Ugh and tackling would be nice.

I would expect most of these players that Herman recruited to be pushed to the portal, and we will have a HUGE signing class. Sark even said this roster isn’t the way he would have built it.

You bring up some great points, I think Herman recruited just like his mentor Mack, the athletes could compete in the Big12 but would get slaughtered week in week out in the SEC...Sark knows now how to recruit nationally after being at USC and Bama....UT has to learn that lesson too, nothing wrong with keeping a hometown boy close by, but Austin kids want out of Austin , I know I grew up here as a kid and once they visit anywhere else, its hard to come back to Austin

Our OL sucks to high heaven still. No one outside of Overshown has played consistently well on defense. We have to have some of the worst defensive back play in college football. 

After last year I predicted 5 losses this year with herman.. I think we lose next week coming off the downer of a loss. I think the bailor, w virginia and k state ( yes i said k state ) are tossups. Geez..

I appreciate your frustration dog but I respectfully disagree. I told several friends in these parts that we had a chance yesterday but if we lost to the sooners, we will dominate the pokes. Although I could not have predicted a gut wrenching choke, I stand by my statement. Sark is a different mindset coach so I'm calling it now, the Horns win this Saturday by more than two tds!!

8 hours ago, Eastexhorn said:

Game planed for a different QB? Our coaching staff can not make adjustments during a game?

To me defence Cord. might not be as good as his resume says. He is not in Pac. 10 any more.

If you did not see a$m vs Ala. you missed what defenceive football is all about.

Did coaching staffs make adjustments for Vince Young? lol Yeah, I think Caleb could be a VY. He's certainly way ahead at this stage of his career.

Spend a week teaching, coaching a starting QB who has been the leading candidate for the Heisman. How much time do you think is spent on preparing for the back up?

I'm from Daingerfield. I know what defense is all about. lol

7 hours ago, T-ShirtHorn said:

Does Johnson graduate this spring? If not, I can see him being told he needs to transfer.

We're not having much success on the recruiting OL front, so the portal will have to be the answer. I still hold hope for a couple of recruits. But the class won't be what it should be in numbers.

Interior DL is fine but we don't get a push from the edges. I'm thinking Sanders would be a beast coming off the edge if he'd agree to flip over there. Something's gotta give there at DE.

7 hours ago, T-ShirtHorn said:

I would imagine Sanders will be moved here soon.

This is an interesting point that I haven’t considered.  I imagine in this portal age, that you have to have player buy in. 

1 hour ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Does Johnson graduate this spring? If not, I can see him being told he needs to transfer.

We're not having much success on the recruiting OL front, so the portal will have to be the answer. I still hold hope for a couple of recruits. But the class won't be what it should be in numbers.

Interior DL is fine but we don't get a push from the edges. I'm thinking Sanders would be a beast coming off the edge if he'd agree to flip over there. Something's gotta give there at DE.

Not sure about Johnson.

I read somewhere the PFF graded our O-Line in the single digits. The reporter stated that he has never seen a grade that low. 

if it were me (assuming we get Campbell) I would:

Go to the portal and grab a minimum of 3 lineman. Give Braden L (the TE) and Daniel Young(I believe he is a COVID junior)  the heads up to look elsewhere due to plying tile to open uP the spots. Tyler Johnson has to be the biggest disappointment since Gilbert.

Penn state is sitting at 26 commits. Alabama and Norte dame both signed 27 last year, I’m not sure how it all works with the limits. 

johnson seems to be a horn till he dies but K Robinson seems to be too dynamic to leave off the field. I would like to see him slide into j whitts role.