Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Game Thread: Texas vs. TCU

1 hour ago, Baron said:

I'm not crazy about how this played out, but in retrospect the coaching staff stayed with what they thought would work. 250 yds rushing when TCU knew they had to stop that.

I’m happy with how it played.   For the first time in a decade or more, we played a “B- or C+” game and won. Because a couple of players wouldn’t let them lose. We would have lost this game last year. We didn’t play our best game but we maintained control. 

28 minutes ago, TexCoyote said:

Was Schooler out there today? I don’t remember seeing him. 

I saw him on a kickoff. Not on defence. Probably benched for tackling his own team mates too much.

My thoughts

Cant play all zone coverage and not get pressure, good teams will carve us up.

Put the 3 man rush to bed. We can't do it

Our safeties can't cover at all. 

Offense needs to be better in the redzone and short yardage. QB sneak or inside zone/lead can't be our only play.

Receivers need to catch the ball

Keilan Robinson needs to touch the ball more. Jet sweep, screen game, outside zone anything that can get him in space.

Positively it's the first game we have played poorly and won in years.

Finally Bijan is a monster.

2 hours ago, Wayne said:

I’m happy with how it played.   For the first time in a decade or more, we played a “B- or C+” game and won. Because a couple of players wouldn’t let them lose. We would have lost this game last year. We didn’t play our best game but we maintained control. 

There were points in the game when I wondered if Herman was on the sideline. For instance on a 3rd and goal in the first half JWhit and Xavier were on the sideline. WTF was that all about? 

Texas got a lot of crappy spots during this game. The worse was Worthy's run where he runs OB at the 1 and they spot it at the 2. Granted you should get 2 yards in 2 tries however if spotted at the 1 where it should have been, I believe Texas would have scored a TD.

And as someone mentioned earlier, our resident Casey hater seemed more than eager to point out his mistakes today.

Overall a win on the road where Texas hasn't since 2013, I'll take it.

29 minutes ago, Eastexhorn said:

Sark made a big mistake in not kicking last FG. When TCU scored how many wished he had kicked it?

Next week DB play needs big improvement plus passer rush.

QB and WR will also have be upgraded!

The staff has plenty of examples to teach from.

17 minutes ago, Baron said:

I love this guy. He says all the right things.

Winning may be hard but this guy is always talking about how much needs to be worked on to get where they need to be. So refreshing to have a coach that is not satisfied to be average, win ugly, or simply show up.

1 hour ago, longhorn_mig said:

Not sure if anyone else noticed and already posted, but Card was not holding on FGs and PATs. Maintaining the redshirt unless things go south with Casey?

Card is listed as a RS freshman already, which they used last year, unless something has changed 

7 hours ago, HORNfromETX said:

Shouldn't have gone for 2 earlier and should kicked the FG. Would be up 9 and the game would be over. Always take points

We were up 12, the FG would have made it 15. After their TD we would have been up by 8 (or if they went for a 2pt conv 7 or 9 depending on the outcome).

I like the call, high chance of success to convert from the 1 yard line and if you do, the game is over when you go up by 19. If you fail to convert, they have to start a drive at the goal line and their chance of success is very low as well. 

The 99 yard drive was close to a worse case scenario for Texas. Zack Evans had a nice run to get them off the goal line. That was a great opportunity for the defense to pressure them in the end zone and they didn't get it done. After that, the focus shifted to not allowing any quick TDs which they did well. TCU scored but took about 5 minutes to do so. That allowed Texas to win with the 4 minute drive. 

The field goal doesn't change too much except TCU starts their drive at the 25 yard line instead of the 1. After they score, Texas still has to ice the game or fight to keep TCU out of the endzon for a second score. Yes, the second score would be a TCU win.

Basically

- Convert on 4th and.1 and the game is 100% over

- Fail on 4th and 1 or kick the FG and the game is probably an 80% chance of victory either way. Their 99 yard drive make things uneasy but we still maintained control and closed it out.

So, we left 14-28 points  on the field. Give TCU  defense  a little credit for that. 

The weather wasn't the issue like some claimed, but the refs were  bigger issues. Betting that CDC and Sark are pointing out the issues like in the past, but the difference is now we have leverage as to when we leave the Big 12 refs for the SEC refs. If you didn't see, on a play A&M defensive player bodyslammed a Miss. State player with no call and we were called for a personal fouled for the same type play agsinst Tech.

The only turnover from Casey should've had a minimum defensive holding if not interfering on the corner covering Worthy. 

Momma Card nice try on the 3 ints. But only you want to point  that out on a win.  Way to show team unity. B!tch!

5 hours ago, david ficken said:

So, we left 14-28 points  on the field. Give TCU  defense  a little credit for that. 

The weather wasn't the issue like some claimed, but the refs were  bigger issues. Betting that CDC and Sark are pointing out the issues like in the past, but the difference is now we have leverage as to when we leave the Big 12 refs for the SEC refs. If you didn't see, on a play A&M defensive player bodyslammed a Miss. State player with no call and we were called for a personal fouled for the same type play agsinst Tech.

The only turnover from Casey should've had a minimum defensive holding if not interfering on the corner covering Worthy. 

Momma Card nice try on the 3 ints. But only you want to point  that out on a win.  Way to show team unity. B!tch!

Shocked Ice Cube GIF

People are second guessing going for it on the 1 yard line instead of kicking the field goal.  I mean after it doesn’t work everyone says damn that was a bad decision we should have kicked the field goal.  Sark is going to go for almost all of those because 1) It sends a message to your offensive line of toughness. Knock them off the ball. Our OLine is still trying to gain confidence. 2) It breaks the will of the defense to get pushed back. 3) You’ve got the best running back in the country so high percentage he’s going to get in.  
He’s trying to form this team like Saban has Alabama.  I get it that we’re a long ways from Alabama but it’s about setting the culture of your program. 
Ok it didn’t work and now everyone is saying that they would have kicked.  For me it would have been nice to not let them drive 99 yards in a couple of minutes.  It’d been nice to make them use some clock because they were going slow.  We needed a stop and the game is over there.  
Glad we had Bijan to get a couple of first down on tough running to end the game.  
In the past 11 years I believe we would have found ways to lose that game.  We got a ways to go but we found a way to win it.  Ugly are not doesn’t matter.  We got a W.  That’s all that matters to me. 
Hook’em 🤘🤘🐂🐂