Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Game Thread: Texas Longhorns vs. Rice Owls

On 9/18/2021 at 6:10 PM, TexCoyote said:

I’m not against Casey starting. I trust the coaches to figure it out. Whatever it takes to win. 
Having said that. I’m really surprised the amount of people that have trashed Hudson Card this week. A young QB in a hostile environment that none of the team or coaches were ready for with the Offensive line laying an egg and people actually trash Card. He didn’t play his best game but I lay more of that on the OL and Sarkisian who could have got him some easy throws to loosen things up. I said last week that Sark was rattled and I still believe that. There’s been people trashing Card saying he needs to transfer. This kid is highly rated and is going to be a really good QB. I bet a high percentage of people doing that have never put on a helmet and shoulder pads in there life. These things of trashing a young kid after half of a football game is not normal. The same people are begging for Arch Manning. I hope we get him but kids aren’t going to want to play somewhere where they are trashed. I hope Casey plays good and we win the game and Card comes in and plays good…….and OL plays better. 

Best post I’ve seen on this site. The viciousness aimed at a Freshman QB in his first road game with the worst Oline in years is unbelievable and downright shameful. I’m a Card fan but I like Casey too and happy for him…BTW Casey hasn’t been tested yet, some of you that think he’s the Messiah might wait a few games.

30 minutes ago, HornsUpAllDay said:

Best post I’ve seen on this site. The viciousness aimed at a Freshman QB in his first road game with the worst Oline in years is unbelievable and downright shameful. I’m a Card fan but I like Casey too and happy for him…BTW Casey hasn’t been tested yet, some of you that think he’s the Messiah might wait a few games.

I don't think anyone has trashed Hudson Card. People have their opinions on his play the same as you. It shouldn't upset you if they feel differently than you and express as much. I haven't seen anything shameful.

I also don't think anyone here on this site has attempted to associate Thompson with the word "messiah." 

He has simply played better than Card. No more. No less.

Like I said just yesterday, Card needs to improve because Texas is going to need him before this season is over. We're not going to make it with just one QB.

7 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I don't think anyone has trashed Hudson Card. People have their opinions on his play the same as you. It shouldn't upset you if they feel differently than you and express as much. I haven't seen anything shameful.

I also don't think anyone here on this site has attempted to associate Thompson with the word "messiah." 

Like I said just yesterday, Card needs to improve because Texas is going to need him before this season is over. We're not going to make it with just one QB.

There’s been quite a few people trash him. Even my daughter was seeing stuff saying people were posting stuff at him Twitter, Instagram??? I’m not for sure which but they were saying your trash, your no good, you need to transfer etc.. Probably kids posting that but I wouldn’t put it past some adults. I just don’t get going at some kid that is trying his hardest and in the way that Arkansas game unfolded. After one half of football that alot of it wasn’t even his fault people are ready to dump him. I think kids need more time especially when I and I’m sure others can see there is alot of ability there. 

2 hours ago, TexCoyote said:

There’s been quite a few people trash him. Even my daughter was seeing stuff saying people were posting stuff at him Twitter, Instagram??? I’m not for sure which but they were saying your trash, your no good, you need to transfer etc.. Probably kids posting that but I wouldn’t put it past some adults. I just don’t get going at some kid that is trying his hardest and in the way that Arkansas game unfolded. After one half of football that alot of it wasn’t even his fault people are ready to dump him. I think kids need more time especially when I and I’m sure others can see there is alot of ability there. 

I agree TC. Those twelve year olds should be put to bed without their supper. They are annoying.

3 hours ago, TexCoyote said:

I believe @Sirhornsalotmeant people from this site. Fair or not, you're the QB so you're going to get credit for wins and blame for losses. Especially in Texas.

4 minutes ago, tejasrulz said:

I believe @Sirhornsalotmeant people from this site. Fair or not, you're the QB so you're going to get credit for wins and blame for losses. Especially in Texas.

I’m sure there were some on this site but I’m not going to go back and research it. The first game everyone was talking about how great Hudson looked.  I just didn’t watch the game at Arkansas and lay alot of that on Hudson. Offensive line was atrocious and as I’ve said before Sark after seeing the situation could have gotten him in a lot better throws and he didn’t do it. I didn’t think Hudson had a great game but it was his second game in one of the more hostile environments he’ll see. I’m just not ready to say I’m done with him after that half of football. I have no problem with Casey playing and I’m glad he’s doing well. I just want to win. I’ll trust Sark’s call on it. I hope Casey keeps playing well. We’ll know in the next 3 or 4 weeks where we’re at as a team. 

(Boomer) Sooner or later we are going to need a long passing game. Neither QB has connected on a deep route yet. The WR squad has had a terrible start to the year.  There has been very little time for the long routes to develop based on lack of protection from the OL and Backs. Much of the problem has been the ability for D's to effectively get a rush and QB pressure's with very few down lineman, freeing up LB's and Def. backs to double cover and clog the lanes. 

So far the Bumble has no teeth.

8 hours ago, TexCoyote said:

I guess I just missed that. I was only speaking to Hornsports with that question and I haven't seen anyone say he should transfer. What I read was that some expected him to transfer after losing his job to Thompson.

Card is one play away from being the starter again. I have no idea why anyone would want to trash him. He's got skills and now he's got a little experience. He'll be fine.

10 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I guess I just missed that. I was only speaking to Hornsports with that question and I haven't seen anyone say he should transfer. What I read was that some expected him to transfer after losing his job to Thompson.

Card is one play away from being the starter again. I have no idea why anyone would want to trash him. He's got skills and now he's got a little experience. He'll be fine.

Yeah, I can't think of anyone on here that trashed the kid and said he should transfer.

And SHA is right, Card is one play away from being right back in the thick of it. Just do the same thing Casey did. Stay engaged, work hard, and be ready when your number is called.

7 hours ago, Johnny Depp said:

(Boomer) Sooner or later we are going to need a long passing game. Neither QB has connected on a deep route yet. The WR squad has had a terrible start to the year.  There has been very little time for the long routes to develop based on lack of protection from the OL and Backs. Much of the problem has been the ability for D's to effectively get a rush and QB pressure's with very few down lineman, freeing up LB's and Def. backs to double cover and clog the lanes. 

So far the Bumble has no teeth.

Might have had the long passing game against Rice but we settled for the long running game. 

5 hours ago, Wayne said:

Might have had the long passing game against Rice but we settled for the long running game. 

It would seem it you are 4 scores ahead and putting in the subs, it might be worth testing your passing game?

What happened to that all gas no brakes thing?

On 9/20/2021 at 9:45 PM, Sirhornsalot said:

Let's not act as if injury is the only way Card plays meaningful time again. There is this thing called winning.

I’d like to see them rotate Karic and Hayden Conner in quite a bit Saturday.  Karic stoned that good pass rusher from Kansas St last year and the other night he nearly ran him man into the stands. He seems to have that mean streak an Offensive Lineman needs to have.  I doubt they will be I’d like to see them get them in there. 

5 hours ago, Johnny Depp said:

Let's not act as if injury is the only way Card plays meaningful time again. There is this thing called winning.

Thompson is the starter moving forward. Its going to be hard for Card to "win" when he's playing backup.

Card will have to make a clear move to unseat Thompson in practice and whatever time he gets in a game. That could come from mop-up time with the other back ups – or – Thompson has an injury.

Lets pretend Thompson gets hurt but only needs to sit out a play or two. Well, Card would need his play elevated so the coach maybe decides to leave him in and be protective of Thompson's injury. If Card throws a 30-yard completion on his first play, it probably causes a pause in a coach's mind. If he follows that with another successful play, the coach then starts thinking he's found a spark in Card.

Thats probably the most likely way he gets back to the drivers seat, IMO. 

Are you feeling better about this yet? lol

5 hours ago, TexCoyote said:

I’d like to see them rotate Karic and Hayden Conner in quite a bit Saturday.  Karic stoned that good pass rusher from Kansas St last year and the other night he nearly ran him man into the stands. He seems to have that mean streak an Offensive Lineman needs to have.  I doubt they will be I’d like to see them get them in there. 

From what I've read, it seems like Karic has the true mean streak out of all the linemen. We need that on this line.

58 minutes ago, Bear19 said:

55 points is what happened. Or were you even watching?

58 pts. 8 touchdowns with extra points and a safety. And we didn’t score in the 4th quarter. We could have scored more but why.  At 58-0, passing would have dragged the game out and someone may have gotten hurt.  We are still playing for something. 

sorry Bear19 this wasn’t responsive to your post. 

8 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Thompson is the starter moving forward. Its going to be hard for Card to "win" when he's playing backup.

Card will have to make a clear move to unseat Thompson in practice and whatever time he gets in a game. That could come from mop-up time with the other back ups – or – Thompson has an injury.

Lets pretend Thompson gets hurt but only needs to sit out a play or two. Well, Card would need his play elevated so the coach maybe decides to leave him in and be protective of Thompson's injury. If Card throws a 30-yard completion on his first play, it probably causes a pause in a coach's mind. If he follows that with another successful play, the coach then starts thinking he's found a spark in Card.

Thats probably the most likely way he gets back to the drivers seat, IMO. 

Are you feeling better about this yet? lol

You might consider the possibility that as good of a leader and competitor Casey seems to be he has not started a game against good competition and he won’t until TCU and OU. Garbage time and Rice has created this legend. I hope I’m wrong but, I see an average and undersized QB with a bad offensive line. Glad to say I’m wrong but not until after the OU game.

2 hours ago, Wayne said:

58 pts. 8 touchdowns with extra points and a safety. And we didn’t score in the 4th quarter. We could have scored more but why.  At 58-0, passing would have dragged the game out and someone may have gotten hurt.  We are still playing for something. 

sorry Bear19 this wasn’t responsive to your post. 

not sure it would matter to Depp

3 hours ago, HornsUpAllDay said:

You might consider the possibility that as good of a leader and competitor Casey seems to be he has not started a game against good competition and he won’t until TCU and OU. Garbage time and Rice has created this legend. I hope I’m wrong but, I see an average and undersized QB with a bad offensive line. Glad to say I’m wrong but not until after the OU game.

I think you're reaching, using a technicality tell you something it doesn't say.

The bowl win over Colorado wasn't garbage time. As for Rice, it's the team we had to play that week. Not sure how you fault him for doing what he was supposed to do. 

I don't think we're talking about a legend. We're just talking about the starting QB position at Texas. I think Thompson may be the better fit for an offense that has an OL like this one. He certainly improvises well and can hurt teams with his feet as much as with his arm. He has led this offense to scores 16 out of 18 times he's started a drive. That's hardly "average."