Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Game Thread: Texas Longhorns vs. Rice Owls

• Administrators

Rice Gameday Graphic 3.jpg

The Texas Longhorns (1-1, 0-0 Big 12) face another former Southwest Conference team this week as the Rice Owls (0-2, 0-0 C-USA) head to Darrell K. Royal - Texas Memorial Stadium on Saturday night.  Saturday's contest marks the 96th time these two teams have played one another with the last matchup taking place 2019.  Rice last won in Austin in 1965, when Rice kicker Richard Parker made good on a 33-yard FG gave the Owls a 20-17 win.  The last time Rice beat the Longhorns was in 1994 at Rice Stadium (19-17) in which the game was moved to a Sunday night due to the MLB player's strike vacating an ESPN slot that evening. 

After a less-than-desirable outcome in Fayetteville last weekend, the Longhorns look to get things back on track against the Owls, who are still in search of win #1 on the season.

What: Texas Longhorns (1-1, 0-0 Big 12) vs.# Rice Owls (0-2, 0-0 C-USA)
Venue: Darrell K. Royal - Texas Memorial Stadium
When: Saturday, Sept. 18th, 2021
Time: 7:00 p.m. (CST)
TV: LHN
All-Time Series: Texas leads Rice, 73-21-1
Last Meeting: Texas defeated Rice 48-13 (9/14/2019 - Houston, TX)

Relevant Information:

2 hours ago, Johnny Depp said:

Once again we play a team where Texas is their Super Bowl. 

Let's see if any adjustments can be made to our schemes to work around weak areas. You can only scheme so much.

Wishing Casey the best in his 1st start. Hook Em Horns's!

Good to hear you cheering Thompson on. Earlier in the week you sounded dead set against him.

Hook'em

I’m not against Casey starting. I trust the coaches to figure it out. Whatever it takes to win. 
Having said that. I’m really surprised the amount of people that have trashed Hudson Card this week. A young QB in a hostile environment that none of the team or coaches were ready for with the Offensive line laying an egg and people actually trash Card. He didn’t play his best game but I lay more of that on the OL and Sarkisian who could have got him some easy throws to loosen things up. I said last week that Sark was rattled and I still believe that. There’s been people trashing Card saying he needs to transfer. This kid is highly rated and is going to be a really good QB. I bet a high percentage of people doing that have never put on a helmet and shoulder pads in there life. These things of trashing a young kid after half of a football game is not normal. The same people are begging for Arch Manning. I hope we get him but kids aren’t going to want to play somewhere where they are trashed. I hope Casey plays good and we win the game and Card comes in and plays good…….and OL plays better. 

• Aaron Carrara changed the title to Game Thread: Texas Longhorns vs. Rice Owls