Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Casey Thompson named starting QB vs Rice

3 hours ago, Hiwood said:

You left out ONE big factor, DKR also had Emory Bellard switch the offense to something they called the Wishbone, not saying Bill Bradley couldnt have run it, but obviously James Street ran it to perfection thanks to Worster, Bertelsen and Koy, along with having Weunsch, McKay and others to run behind

Bradley got his chance small hands led to fumbles. He moved to DB and James took over.

they put in the wishbone in 68....It should have been tailor made for Bradley, but he couldnt make the decisions correctly to run that. Every play started with the QB putting the ball to the FB....If the tackle stayed back, he let the FB have it. If the tackle came in he pulled it & took off left or right. Then the key was the DE whether to keep or pitch it to the trailing back. Bradley could not make the reads.

22 hours ago, Johnny Depp said:

Imagine Shark trying to gently figure out how to keep both buys, when he knows one fits his scheme better? Letting one start but the other one play taken a step further is letting them start against Rice. Shark knows Casey is the fan favorite, and the 2nd team QB is always the most popular man in town. He has to give Casey a fair shot, regardless of the outcome of the 1st games. Not saying he doesn't deserve it either, and he could earn the job. I find it unlikely that Shark goes with a run 1st QB long term.

LOL.

What on earth makes you think Sark (shark? are you misspelling it?) thinks Thompson is the fan favorite? I mean, outside of simply performing better than Card?

What do you mean "both buys?" What is Sark buying?

Maybe Sark thinks Card fits a scheme better, I don't know. Neither do you. What Sark does know is Card stunk up the place and Thompson didn't.

Thompson is not a run-first QB. Perhaps you feel that way because he's better at it than Card? Thompson and Card both had to run for their lives. Is Card now a run-first QB because his passing was so awful and he had to try to run on many plays?

I think you betray your own thinking process by making false assumptions based on your emotional-based thinking.

I have no dog in this hunt. As I have said for weeks, I want the QB who is going to win ball games. I don't care what his name is. And right now, I believe that QB is Thompson.

There's no conspiracy, no "letting" anyone start (as you said yesterday). This is just playing the QB who is making plays and benching the one who isn't.

anyone that does not believe the QB was the biggest problem against Arky should just imagine if Colt had been the QB. Same crappy Oline and same crappy defense.

I believe that Colt would have spotted and gotten the ball to those open receivers. I KNOW he would have hit the wide open deep passes, and I am sure he would have made decisive runs when all else failed. That would have allowed our defense some rest.

I am not saying all this to Dog on Card. I am merely trying to point out that the QB play in that game led to many of our problems.

11 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

LOL.

What on earth makes you think Sark (shark? are you misspelling it?) thinks Thompson is the fan favorite? I mean, outside of simply performing better than Card?

What do you mean "both buys?" What is Sark buying?

Maybe Sark thinks Card fits a scheme better, I don't know. Neither do you. What Sark does know is Card stunk up the place and Thompson didn't.

Thompson is not a run-first QB. Perhaps you feel that way because he's better at it than Card? Thompson and Card both had to run for their lives. Is Card now a run-first QB because his passing was so awful and he had to try to run on many plays?

I think you betray your own thinking process by making false assumptions based on your emotional-based thinking.

I have no dog in this hunt. As I have said for weeks, I want the QB who is going to win ball games. I don't care what his name is. And right now, I believe that QB is Thompson.

There's no conspiracy, no "letting" anyone start (as you said yesterday). This is just playing the QB who is making plays and benching the one who isn't.

Yes, you have to give Casey a chance.  Card may be a great QB if there is an offensive line.  But with the sieve we have we need a QB who just may decide to tuck the ball and run.  You can keep the LBs honest a bit.  And the linemen have to keep their space.  Card didn't want to run at all.  Passed up quite a few runs to throw on the run.  

3 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

shark? are you misspelling it?)

No, I'm using a nickname that fits. I did misspell "guys" though. Oops. 

With regard to QB play at Arky, neither of us know. IMO Card felt his job was pass 1st "keep your eyes upfield". If Shark tells him it's OK to tuck and run as soon as someone throws a hand grenade into the play, I'm sure he can execute that too.

Again, IMO, Casey had nothing to lose and everything to gain. The game was DOA. He needed a spark to get the starting job. At the 1st sign of problems he got the hell out of Dodge. It worked, but I don't think that was game plan, just improv.

3 hours ago, oldhorn2 said:

anyone that does not believe the QB was the biggest problem against Arky should just imagine if Colt had been the QB. Same crappy Oline and same crappy defense.

I believe that Colt would have spotted and gotten the ball to those open receivers. I KNOW he would have hit the wide open deep passes, and I am sure he would have made decisive runs when all else failed. That would have allowed our defense some rest.

I am not saying all this to Dog on Card. I am merely trying to point out that the QB play in that game led to many of our problems.

If my aunt had nuts....

3 hours ago, oldhorn2 said:

Colt as a freshman had a great offensive line. It wasn’t as good when he was a senior. By the time he was a senior he may have overcome the line. But if the line was as bad as Texas’ was last week in his second start don’t know what would have happened. 

VY would have kept them honest. I’m not sure Could would have. 

On 9/14/2021 at 1:45 PM, Johnny Depp said:

Imagine Shark trying to gently figure out how to keep both buys, when he knows one fits his scheme better? Letting one start but the other one play taken a step further is letting them start against Rice. Shark knows Casey is the fan favorite, and the 2nd team QB is always the most popular man in town. He has to give Casey a fair shot, regardless of the outcome of the 1st games. Not saying he doesn't deserve it either, and he could earn the job. I find it unlikely that Shark goes with a run 1st QB long term.

Are you trying to type Sark and just keep hitting the H key for some reason?

When you get dogged like Sark did in Fayetnam – YOU AIN'T NO SHARK to anyone.

My biggest question to you – exactly how do you "gently" figure anything out? Huh?

You know what? Don't answer that. I'm so done with this nonsense I look forward to my next headache.

Thompson is your starter. Card will play. Beyond that doesn't mean anything because its conjecture that half the time doesn't make sense and at times, is downright weird.

7 hours ago, Johnny Depp said:

No, I'm using a nickname that fits. I did misspell "guys" though. Oops. 

With regard to QB play at Arky, neither of us know. IMO Card felt his job was pass 1st "keep your eyes upfield". If Shark tells him it's OK to tuck and run as soon as someone throws a hand grenade into the play, I'm sure he can execute that too.

Again, IMO, Casey had nothing to lose and everything to gain. The game was DOA. He needed a spark to get the starting job. At the 1st sign of problems he got the hell out of Dodge. It worked, but I don't think that was game plan, just improv.

You're using an animal name that strikes fear into everything it comes into contact with or even eyesight of.

Sark just had his underwear cleaned on national TV. Thats a BLOWFISH, not a shark.

You're dead-on right about Card. His first priority is to pass. Namely, because he doesn't run very well. I think we've come to this over and over and over again.

According to you last week, Card would start and Casey would play. That is precisely what happened and was by design. Now, you're trying to penalize and negate a player who did nothing but score each time he had the opportunity.

Just imagine had Card been able to get the hell out of dodge as well as Thompson does. Maybe he would have kept his job?

95% of Colt McCoy's offense (passing) was improvisation. He literally ran for his life and made things happen. Thompson did the same thing. I'll give you a few hours to find something wrong with that. lol

10 hours ago, Wayne said:

Yes, you have to give Casey a chance.  Card may be a great QB if there is an offensive line.  But with the sieve we have we need a QB who just may decide to tuck the ball and run.  You can keep the LBs honest a bit.  And the linemen have to keep their space.  Card didn't want to run at all.  Passed up quite a few runs to throw on the run.  

Exactly. 

11 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

95% of Colt McCoy's offense (passing) was improvisation. He literally ran for his life and made things happen. Thompson did the same thing. I'll give you a few hours to find something wrong with that. lol

Look, I love college because of running quarterbacks. Without Street and Young and McCoy's running skills we have a lot less wins around here. I'm a fan of an offense designed that way. I just don't think that's the coach we have, especially with Bijan. Lot's of other coaches were against a running QB too, until they weren't.

IMO Card stuck to the game plan, run was the last option. Casey, not at all. It's not that Card can't run, it's that he didn't look to run 1st, as he was instructed. If we decide we are going to run the QB regularly (very unlikely) then Card deserves that opportunity.

6 minutes ago, Johnny Depp said:

IMO Card stuck to the game plan, run was the last option. Casey, not at all. It's not that Card can't run, it's that he didn't look to run 1st, as he was instructed. If we decide we are going to run the QB regularly (very unlikely) then Card deserves that opportunity.

This is a strawman argument that makes no sense. We aren't talking about changing game plans.

Yes... Card looked to pass first, but he wasn't capable of executing the offense. We don't get points or first down because he hangs in the pocket too long. He wasn't instructed to go 3 and out every drive.

Casey is going to run the same offense. However right now Casey has a better innate sense of when a play is breaking down and able to make positive yardage when that happens.

One day Card will be a really good QB. However last week he didn't see the field clearly, missed wide open receivers, and didn't process info quickly enough. 

If Casey has to learn to hang in the pocket a little longer at times... then that's a much easier problem to solve than a freshman QB learning the speed of the college game.   

It's a shame how quickly UT fans are to pass judgement. A long time record was set with 25 QB pressure's in 2 games. A big time college announcer said Patrick Mahomes would have scored zero points in the 1st half with that offense. 

If Hud were to transfer today, every single top program would want him. Texas may not deserve him. 

Can you tell I'm still pissed?

24 minutes ago, Johnny Depp said:

It's a shame how quickly UT fans are to pass judgement. A long time record was set with 25 QB pressure's in 2 games. A big time college announcer said Patrick Mahomes would have scored zero points in the 1st half with that offense. 

If Hud were to transfer today, every single top program would want him. Texas may not deserve him. 

What do you mean by 'pass judgement'... You mean watching games and making observations? I'm not aware only Texas fans do this.

Sark has a pretty good record of training and putting QBs in the NFL. Card knows this, which is why he won't transfer. Long term he'll be a better QB by playing for Sark. Long term Texas will be a better football team for having Card as a starter.

He just wasn't ready as a freshman to walk into a hostile stadium and run a new offense. That's a pretty tough assignment, but also a reality of big time football. No one is holding it against Card that he wasn't ready yet. Every Texas fan I talk to looks forward to what he'll do in the future.

If you want to talk about emotions and being pissed, think about the opposite side of this... if you kept throwing Card out there before he's ready. That's a recipe to crush a young QB - destroying any confidence he has himself or fans have in his abilities. Sark is protecting him with this move, and in the press conference basically said this gives Card time to breathe. 

Card needs a little time to self-reflect and let last week's game become a character building experience. As opposed to throwing him back out there and maybe turning into a soul crushing experience. 

1 hour ago, Johnny Depp said:

"Texas may not deserve him. Can you tell I'm still pissed?"

You really sound like you have some type of connection to Hudson Card. And frankly, even if you say you don't, I'm not sure that I am going to believe you. 

3 hours ago, North Texas Golfer said:

"Texas may not deserve him. Can you tell I'm still pissed?"

You really sound like you have some type of connection to Hudson Card. And frankly, even if you say you don't, I'm not sure that I am going to believe you. 

Well stated