Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Thoughts and Takeaways: Questions mount during blowout loss in Fayetteville


Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, 83Dee said:

I agree with your first paragraph 100%.

We have 2 QBs who are “good athletes.”  Both were recruited to run the Tom Herman offense.  I disagree that Card is a better athlete.  I think Sark went with him solely because of his arm tools:  strength and tight spiral.

I actually think Thompson is a better runner (though Card may be faster).  Thompson is better at avoiding the rush (which is of upmost importance with this line).  Thompson is much more accurate on anything over 20 yards downfield, cooler in the pocket.  And.... a more vocal leader   

Card will be very very good.  Perhaps great!  He’s a freshman for crying out loud. But IMHO it’s a no brainer as to who starts and stays in the game unless the game is already decided.  

Actually, based on 40 times, Casey is a little faster.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, 83Dee said:

 He’s a freshman for crying out loud. But IMHO it’s a no brainer

I don't give a single F**k what grade they are in, including Redshirts. If you have talent on the sidelines that will help your team, let them play. Knowledge of a system of a previous coach is worthless too. No different than entering the portal, your experience with another system won't be of much use. 

It's far from a no brainer who plays QB the rest of the year. We haven't seen Casey even start a game against anyone, including Rice. There is much to be learned. Let's see him operate the system to the coach's satisfaction 1st.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Johnny Depp said:

I don't give a single F**k what grade they are in, including Redshirts. If you have talent on the sidelines that will help your team, let them play. Knowledge of a system of a previous coach is worthless too. No different than entering the portal, your experience with another system won't be of much use. 

It's far from a no brainer who plays QB the rest of the year. We haven't seen Casey even start a game against anyone, including Rice. There is much to be learned. Let's see him operate the system to the coach's satisfaction 1st.

All I meant is that Card has a lot of time to develop… He has a lot of upside.

You seem to be taking this very personally…. Does your address have a “Lake Travis” in it by chance? 
 

EDIT - I guess you weren’t responding to me.  Carry on.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, 83Dee said:

All I meant is that Card has a lot of time to develop… He has a lot of upside.

You seem to be taking this very personally…. Does your address have a “Lake Travis” in it by chance? 

 What a surprise, debating about QB's in a football forum😃 No LT residence for me, but I know a few..

What I take personally is a passion for Longhorn football, and not much else in sports these days. I don't think 1 game defines a season, and position changes should be a fluid thing. From what Shark said yesterday, it is. I want Texas winning now, however that works out. This is not a program that needs to rebuild and recruit and wait years. Somehow we have been tapping the brakes already.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Johnny Depp said:

 What a surprise, debating about QB's in a football forum😃 No LT residence for me, but I know a few..

What I take personally is a passion for Longhorn football, and not much else in sports these days. I don't think 1 game defines a season, and position changes should be a fluid thing. From what Shark said yesterday, it is. I want Texas winning now, however that works out. This is not a program that needs to rebuild and recruit and wait years. Somehow we have been tapping the brakes already.

Nice!  I’m with you about Texas football.  Well.... I dig UT basketball and baseball too.  This from a former sports-aholic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Johnny Depp said:

 What a surprise, debating about QB's in a football forum😃 No LT residence for me, but I know a few..

What I take personally is a passion for Longhorn football, and not much else in sports these days. I don't think 1 game defines a season, and position changes should be a fluid thing. From what Shark said yesterday, it is. I want Texas winning now, however that works out. This is not a program that needs to rebuild and recruit and wait years. Somehow we have been tapping the brakes already.

I’ve tried hard to suggest an emphatic opinion that Thompson deserves the starting nod, without any suggestion that I’m giving up on Card or don’t appreciate his potential.

I can respect your opinion. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Drb522 said:

When a right hand qb is moving to his right the commentator is correct.  Standing in the pocket that is incorrect.  

Since Johnny is confused I’ll clarify.  When the qb is moving to his right his target is different than when standing in the pocket.  His momentum will carry the throw.  I was taught to throw the ball at the front shoulder of the receiver and the ball will carry enough to lead him.  Whereas standing in the pocket if you throw it directly at the receiver it’ll be behind him upon arrival.  It’s not the spin that makes it carry but the momentum.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

when a commentator comes up with crap like that I have to laugh. Card had in his life thrown thousands of passes. Do you think he would be ignorant of how the ball flew after leaving his hand?

They all want to act like they know something that the rest of us do not. As Bugs Bunny used to say...."what a maroon!"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, oldhorn2 said:

when a commentator comes up with crap like that I have to laugh. Card had in his life thrown thousands of passes. Do you think he would be ignorant of how the ball flew after leaving his hand?

They all want to act like they know something that the rest of us do not. As Bugs Bunny used to say...."what a maroon!"

Wasn't that guy an Aggie? If so, I'm appalled that you would question him. Pretty sure they have the most academic heismans in history.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/14/2021 at 1:25 PM, Johnny Depp said:

They have almost the same career minutes, attempts. Neither has more than 2 whole games under their belt.

That has absolutely nothing to do with what I said. I have no idea why you bothered quoting me.

Thompson has a bowl win under his belt. He's not experienced playing time that did not result in success.

Card has a rather dismal performance against Arkie and what turns out to be a not a big deal performance against Louisiana. Friggin Nichols State almost beat Louisiana on the road last week. Our win over Louisiana wasn't the win we first thought it was.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

That has absolutely nothing to do with what I said. I have no idea why you bothered quoting me.

Thompson has a bowl win under his belt. He's not experienced playing time that did not result in success.

Card has a rather dismal performance against Arkie and what turns out to be a not a big deal performance against Louisiana. Friggin Nichols State almost beat Louisiana on the road last week. Our win over Louisiana wasn't the win we first thought it was.

 

I told ya!....I told everyone over and over they would be astonished at how over rated ULaLa was but would they listen to me?(actually not listening to me s generally a wise choice) Nobody listens to me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, oldhorn2 said:

I told ya!....I told everyone over and over they would be astonished at how over rated ULaLa was but would they listen to me?(actually not listening to me s generally a wise choice) Nobody listens to me.

Are  you Rodney Dangerfield?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/13/2021 at 10:38 PM, J.B. TexasEx said:

I don't think Card has slow foot speed, but he was indecisive. He played scared, like the stage was too big for him. His inexperience showed.

Thus far, Thompson has been more of a gamer. My hope is he leads us to a blowout of Rice and wins the job for the balance of this season and next.

Glad that’s your hope but, when OU, TCU and Iowa St see tape and scheme for Casey’s running it may be a different story.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, HornsUpAllDay said:

Glad that’s your hope but, when OU, TCU and Iowa St see tape and scheme for Casey’s running it may be a different story.

Sooo...you think the RS Freshman who threw for only 60 yards in 2+ quarters vs Arky gives UT a better chance to win games? Your assertion underscores why Thompson is a better choice as a true dual-threat QB. If they scheme for his running, he can still beat them with his arm.

To your point, "it may be a different story" if Thompson doesn't have a good game passing. But, I'm confident he can. With a suspect OL, his mobility gives us a better chance to win now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, dillohorn said:

My optimism for a great Horns season were destroyed by the abysmal performance last Saturday.

Mine too.

Our "big" win against UL proved to be fools gold. Before the season, I expected no worse than 9-3. I don't know what to think now after being emasculated by Arky.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Their season consisted of five games, cut short due to covid. So a 4-win season is nothing to hate on. 

Thompson had a great game though, didn't he? lol

Also, that Colorado game wasn't a blowout when Casey came in. We were only up 17-10 at halftime and the offense looked pretty stagnant at times during the first half. We outscored Colorado 38-13 in the second half. I'm not saying Casey was facing a great team, but I think he deserves a little more credit for that game considering how the first half went.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share


  • 2021 Texas Football Schedule

    Week
    Opponent
    W/L
    9/4
    Louisiana
    W 38-18
    9/11
    @Arkansas
    L 21-40
    9/18
    Rice
    W 58-0
    9/25
    Texas Tech
    W 70-35
    10/2
    @TCU
    W 32-27
    10/9
    Oklahoma
    L 48-55
    10/16
    Oklahoma State
    L 24-32
    10/30
    @Baylor
    L 24-31
    11/6
    @Iowa State
    L 7-30
    11/13
    Kansas
    L 56-57 OT
    11/20
    @West Virginia
    L 23-31
    11/27
    Kansas State
    W 22-17

Our Affiliation

USATDP_Logo.png

Quick Links

×
×
  • Create New...