Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

QB1 still undecided as Fall Camp marches on

• Administrators

USATSI_16138490_168380999_lowres.jpg

Photo: Scott Wachter-USA TODAY Sports

With just over two weeks remaining before the season opener against #23 Louisiana, University of Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian met with reporters after the team's practice on Tuesday evening to talk about the team's progress and answer questions.

Highlights from the availability are below.

• After Saturday's scrimmage, Sarkisian didn't sound too impressed with the effort or performance of his players.  His comments tonight about the two days since the scrimmage was that the players were taking the coaching they received and applying it, which was a positive.  He says the rest of the week provides an opportunity to put in more work towards this effort before the team scrimmages again on Saturday.
  • On scrimmages and their impact on the depth chart, Sark says they try not to make scrimmages anymore than what they are - opportunities to do the things that the players are trained to do in practice. He does say that some players treat scrimmages differently than practice and that can cause anxiety for some.  The overarching component the staff is trying to instill is mental toughness in scrimmages, so that the gameday atmosphere isn't a surprise or any different for them.
  • QB Hudson Card took reps again with the first-team today, leaving folks assuming he has the advantage at the QB1 spot.  Is there teeth to it?  Perhaps, but not according to Sarkisian.  "No, we've been rotating the guys pretty good with the ones in the twos and trying to get them in different scenarios, right, whether it's a two minute whether it's a fastball period, whether it's third down Blitz read area, there's a lot of aspects that make up the game, obviously. And so trying to give everybody ample opportunities to play in the various scenarios put them in some tough situations to see. I think our team in general recognizes that both guys work or book their tails off."
  • Since he doesn't have a clear starter at quarterback to-date, he was asked if he had a timeline in which he will make his decision. "No, I haven't, I haven't put a haven't put a I haven't put a timeline on it. I kind of thought about that. And I always talk to these kids in recruiting, they're going to make a commitment on this date in recruiting, right. But then that date comes in, they're not ready to assign, but they've already made that that, hey, this is the date I'm making my commitment, I don't really know where they're going to go. And then they make a irrational decision. So going with your gut means when it feels right, and, you know, for me that the actual date is the first game, somebody's got to run out there on September 4, to take the stats with the starting offense, when we take the field. Ideally, I'd like to make a decision before then. But there's no exact date on that for that to happen, that's when it's gonna feel right in. And then when it when it's that time, we'll talk to both guys, and we'll we'll go after it.
  • Sarkisian says the team's tackling is going well and they are gradually improving.  They continue to work on fundamentals and techniques.
  • OL Junior Angilau has been working at the center position on the line. Sarkisian says that he and Flood never want to start a season with just two individuals that have taken snaps.  Angilau joins Jake Majors and Derek Kerstetter as the third center option for Flood's position group.  On another note, Sark reiterated again that he and Flood look for the the top 8 guys that can provide a variety of combinations on the offensive line.
  • Sarkisian was asked about the development of the younger QB's.  He said true freshman Charles Wright has "made really good progress" and true freshman Cole Lourd is "drastically improving."
  • On if Roschon Johnson is available to play QB in an emergency situation should it arise. "He's a very smart player. He's, he really understands the offense. He's versatile. He's tough. I think that's why he does so well on special teams. He's kind of a Swiss Army knife for us so I wouldn't rule out him being an emergency guy for us if it got to that. Hopefully we... knock on wood. We don't ever get put in that situation. But yes, I would say he is an option."
  • The team will start shifting their focus to the opener against Louisiana mid-week next week, which will give them a week and a half to prepare for the Ragin' Cajuns.
  • After watching the tape from last Saturday's scrimmage, Sarkisian said the thing that disappointed him most in his quarterbacks was he doesn't think that they trusted their preparation and their training to get to the scrimmage. "You know, they performed really well for that first week of camp. And then when the scrimmage came, they kind of veered off from just some of the fundamentals techniques reads, decision making that had gotten them to that point. And that was probably the biggest thing for me that was a disappointment was just trusting what you had done to build for that moment and then continue to do it."  Sarkisian followed that up by saying that the last two days of practice have been the best two days for Thompson and Card so far at camp.

• Aaron Carrara changed the title to QB1 still undecided as Fall Camp marches on
  • Administrators
1 hour ago, bctex1106 said:

Can someone get an update on Omeire? Baizer just tweeted out that he went down in practice... said it looked like the knee. Hopefully not serious.

Knee injury but not sure of the severity or non-severity.  Went down but got up and walked off under his own power.  The few folks I talked to didn't seem to think it was too severe.  But, remember Omeire tore his ACL last year in a scrimmage and missed the entire season.  Knee injuries can be tricky but hopefully it's nothing but a tweak.

5 hours ago, MBHORNSFAN said:

It is becoming clear it will be Card

No, it really hasn't become clear yet.

Card is the only one of the two who has been doing the holding on PATs and FGs. You normally don't have your starting QB holding. If Thompson had been training as a holder, then this wouldn't be a factor. But you have to think that at some point at least, Thompson was/is leading for the job.

I don't care either way. I just want to win and score TDs. Whoever does that the best is who I want. I just don't think its clear yet who the guy is.

11 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Card is the only one of the two who has been doing the holding on PATs and FGs. You normally don't have your starting QB holding. If Thompson had been training as a holder, then this wouldn't be a factor. But you have to think that at some point at least, Thompson was/is leading for the job.

I don't care either way. I just want to win and score TDs. Whoever does that the best is who I want. I just don't think its clear yet who the guy is.

It's clear.... 

1 hour ago, Sirhornsalot said:

That you must look at this GIF on GIFER - by Sinsmith

There are 3-4 known NFL prospects on the team. Card is one of them. 2nd to 3rd round projection. Sark called to see if he was solid with his commitment before announcing. He has to earn it, but this ship has sailed.

He is gonna sell a shitload of t-shirts when this goes live! This is the next VY.

13 minutes ago, Johnny Depp said:

There are 3-4 known NFL prospects on the team. Card is one of them. 2nd to 3rd round projection. Sark called to see if he was solid with his commitment before announcing. He has to earn it, but this ship has sailed.

He is gonna sell a shitload of t-shirts when this goes live! This is the next VY.

Your third post and at least two of them are about Card. So what makes you think Card is of that caliber to be compared to VY? Thompson is no slouch. How can Card be an NFL 2-3 rounder without having taken a live game snap?

I was at VY's 1st ever practice game. Very few knew to stay late after it started raining because VY was due to get his 1st snap's as a Longhorn. Amazing performance that night. So I know a little.

I have known of Card through his high school days. Were you at the practice? It was obvious who was top dog. They haven't even started the running game/escape stuff yet. His spirals are poetic, He hit's everyone in their neck. His footwork and step reach is amazing, he covered 8ft with 1 step Tue. to sidestep a sack. That QB at Bama hasn't taken a snap either, and he's an NFL prospect and millionaire already. Card is the #2 dual threat QB in the country. Sam knew last year who he was and chose to go pro. He's a Trevor Lawrence type. It's going to be an amazing 3-4 years!

40 minutes ago, Johnny Depp said:

I was at VY's 1st ever practice game. Very few knew to stay late after it started raining because VY was due to get his 1st snap's as a Longhorn. Amazing performance that night. So I know a little.

I have known of Card through his high school days. Were you at the practice? It was obvious who was top dog. They haven't even started the running game/escape stuff yet. His spirals are poetic, He hit's everyone in their neck. His footwork and step reach is amazing, he covered 8ft with 1 step Tue. to sidestep a sack. That QB at Bama hasn't taken a snap either, and he's an NFL prospect and millionaire already. Card is the #2 dual threat QB in the country. Sam knew last year who he was and chose to go pro. He's a Trevor Lawrence type. It's going to be an amazing 3-4 years!

So you've been to a practice?

If so, was there a distinguishable difference in Card and Thompson? You said it was obvious who was top dog, why was it obvious or maybe what made it obvious?

Thank you for the feedback. Every bit of that was interesting. I'm excited.

Yes Tuesday night. Anybody that's been around football saw it. They ran plays right after one another, the same drills and throws performed by both 30 or so plays each. Card's sprirals and Casey's ducks, especially against the wind. Turnovers/int. pick 6's throws by Casey are a deal killer. The arch and length on the long ball for Card. Perfect placement where the defender can't get it. Throws on a rope on the inside patterns. Zip on the ball. The only throw he missed all night was rolling right and throwing across his body all the way to the left sideline, and he missed in a spot that couldn't be picked off, one of the toughest throws possible. The receiver could have come back and made it. Outside shoulder short.

Again, we haven't seen him use his legs yet, and that is one of the best parts. And he is great at the look off and last second switch with a quick release, if not all the way from the top. Throws off his back foot, Casey was moon walking backwards while throwing. He's the real deal.

11 hours ago, Johnny Depp said:

"Sark called to see if he was solid with his commitment before announcing."

Not sure what this means. Can you elaborate?