Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Nuggets: Day 1 at Fall Camp is in the Books


Recommended Posts

  • Administrators

HCFC21.jpg
Photo: @LonghornNetwork

Following the conclusion of Day 1 at fall camp, Steve Sarkisian met with the media on Friday night to share his thoughts and answer questions.

In his opening statement, Sarkisian emphasized how much better the practices flow when you have the whole team there.  He mentioned he was able to see drastic improvement in a lot of areas, but mentioned the biggest challenge on the day was cramping.  Sark says they will monitor that moving forward but says guys need to stay hydrated and he did say that he felt the cramping wasn't related to physical conditioning.

Outside of the cramping, it was a much cleaner day than the first practice of spring football according to Sarkisian.

  • When asked which players have "transformed their bodies" since the new staff took over, Sark mentioned WR Josh Moore, DB Jerrin Thompson, TE Jared Wiley and LB Demarvion Overshown.
  • On Ja'Tavion Sanders, Sarkisian says that this was really the first time the staff has been able to be on the field with him.  Sanders was working one-on-one with Jeff Banks toward the end of practice and this was by design. "There were some intricate things that we need to work on with him individually to get him up to speed." Gunnar Helm and Juan Davis were also putting in work at TE but Sark mentioned again that Sanders was working on fundamentals so that he could do more intricate things in the future.
  • On which newcomers and transfers impressed today, Sarkisian said he was impressed with DL Ovie Oghoufo, saying he looked both athletic and physical.  He mentioned Alabama transfer RB Keilan Robinson as showing athleticism and getting the ball in space.  Xavier Worthy stood out out, as did DT Byron Murphy.
  • On if the staff is looking to change/swap things from a position standpoint, Sarkisian said they are primarily trying to find the right combination with their safeties and nickel and into the corner position.  They are working rotations and seeing which guys work best together at those spots.
  • Sark was asked about rotating players and if he will rotate players just to rotate them, like the previous staff did,  Sarkisian answered by saying he feels like he has a responsibility to his team to put themselves in the best position to play.  He mentions earning the right to play but also acknowledges that there are multiple talented players at multiple positions on the team. Ultimately, he says the best players will ultimately play but he is not too stubborn to rotate players when needed.
  • On Derek Kerstetter's progress and where he is at after coming off the injury in the Alamo Bowl, Sarkisian leads with stating how impressed his is with Kerstetter's leadership.  Says he doesn't think there are any limitations to Derek's game but he will go back and watch tape to confirm.
  • The OL is about finding the right combination of your best five, according to Sarkisian and Coach Flood. And once you find those five you find the right spots on the line for them.  Then identifying your next best 3-4 linemen is important because depth on the line is so important.  While nothing is set yet, Sark says they will learn a lot more about the OL in the upcoming days.
  • Sarkisian says he is looking for improvement from his QBs and what they learned in the spring.  He said both Thompson and Card both did that today and there was a "better feel" from both players.  They split time with the first and second teams and this was the best "practice" for both since Sark and staff have been on campus.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • HornSports Staff changed the title to Nuggets: Day 1 at Fall Camp is in the Books

Aaron, thanks for the write up.  Lots of good nuggets in there.

It sounds like this offense is going to be extremely dynamic if the OL can do their jobs.  They have playmakers all over. 

- Bijan getting 20+ touches a game is exciting and it sounds like K. Robinson is going to be a fantastic addition out of the backfield.  Nothing against RoJo, but replacing Bijan with that speed is going to be lights out for opposing defences.

- The WRs group is also exciting.  Omiere, Moore, Jwhitt and X. Worthy will be the main 4 on rotation, imo.  I know they have a couple of others that will see the field like K. Dixon, but it seems like these 4 will be the main group.  Really excited to see a speed personnel grouping of Bijan, K. Robinson, Jwhitt, Moore, Worthy and Dixon (pure speed at every eligible position).

- also, the TE room seems a little crowded with Brewer, Whiley, Liebrook, Sanders, Helm and Davis.  I kind of wish Brewer would've moved on, but he does have the most experience and is a decent player.  With that said, I think it's going to be hard keeping Sanders off the field.  No other TE on the roster has his talent level.  Nice problem to have.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Eastexhorn said:

Great write up. Sanders at 250+ will this effect his speed and quickness?

Normally I would expect it would, but Sanders seems to be a freak of an athlete so it may not. He just has something extra that others don't.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, texbound said:

Aaron, thanks for the write up.  Lots of good nuggets in there.

It sounds like this offense is going to be extremely dynamic if the OL can do their jobs.  They have playmakers all over. 

- Bijan getting 20+ touches a game is exciting and it sounds like K. Robinson is going to be a fantastic addition out of the backfield.  Nothing against RoJo, but replacing Bijan with that speed is going to be lights out for opposing defences.

- The WRs group is also exciting.  Omiere, Moore, Jwhitt and X. Worthy will be the main 4 on rotation, imo.  I know they have a couple of others that will see the field like K. Dixon, but it seems like these 4 will be the main group.  Really excited to see a speed personnel grouping of Bijan, K. Robinson, Jwhitt, Moore, Worthy and Dixon (pure speed at every eligible position).

- also, the TE room seems a little crowded with Brewer, Whiley, Liebrook, Sanders, Helm and Davis.  I kind of wish Brewer would've moved on, but he does have the most experience and is a decent player.  With that said, I think it's going to be hard keeping Sanders off the field.  No other TE on the roster has his talent level.  Nice problem to have.

Good stuff.

On the TE room, I'm thinking Jared Wiley has a breakout year. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Aaron Carrara said:

 

  • Sarkisian says he is looking for improvement from his QBs and what they learned in the spring.  He said both Thompson and Card both did that today and there was a "better feel" from both players.  They split time with the first and second teams and this was the best "practice" for both since Sark and staff have been on campus.

 

I like the way he's holding them accountable for the things they've already taught.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Drb522 said:

Day2?  I know, I’m impatient 

Here's a few tidbits, summarized from TFB's post from Monday.

– Starting OL as of right now:

  • LT – Christian Jones
  • LG – Junior Angilau
  • C – Jake Majors
  • RG – Denzel Okafora
  • RT – Derek Kerstetter

– Andrej Karic is probably going to back up both tackles if he doesn't crack the starting spot over Jones.

– Hayden Connor is really turning heads. Based on what they see right now, he was way underrated coming out of HS. 

– Jerrin Thompson is being cross-trained at nickel to compete with Adimora. That means we'll see a lot of Brendan Schooler and BJ Foster at the safeties. They said Schooler is one of the fastest players on the team. I didn't realize that.

– Ja"Travion Sanders is up to almost 260 lbs. Thats too heavy for him. Nevertheless, he's showing the best hands of all the TEs right now.

– Joshua Moore is the team's most reliable receiver right now.

– The DL should be one of the best in the country this year. Jacoby Jones looks ready to dominate.

– Alfred Collins is great against the run, but needs extra work on his pass rushing.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Here's a few tidbits, summarized from TFB's post from Monday.

– Starting OL as of right now:

  • LT – Christian Jones
  • LG – Junior Angilau
  • C – Jake Majors
  • RG – Denzel Okafora
  • RT – Derek Kerstetter

– Andrej Karic is probably going to back up both tackles if he doesn't crack the starting spot over Jones.

– Hayden Connor is really turning heads. Based on what they see right now, he was way underrated coming out of HS. 

– Jerrin Thompson is being cross-trained at nickel to compete with Adimora. That means we'll see a lot of Brendan Schooler and BJ Foster at the safeties. They said Schooler is one of the fastest players on the team. I didn't realize that.

– Ja"Travion Sanders is up to almost 260 lbs. Thats too heavy for him. Nevertheless, he's showing the best hands of all the TEs right now.

– Joshua Moore is the team's most reliable receiver right now.

– The DL should be one of the best in the country this year. Jacoby Jones looks ready to dominate.

– Alfred Collins is great against the run, but needs extra work on his pass rushing.

 

Schooler showed his speed in the orange/white game when he recovered from an overrun and caught up with Bijan.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

🏈 Texas vs. TCU

  • Days
  • Hours
  • Minutes
  • Seconds

Amon G. Carter Stadium
Fort Worth, TX
11:00 AM Kickoff - ABC

  • 2021 Texas Football Schedule

    Week
    Opponent
    W/L
    9/4
    Louisiana
    W 38-18
    9/11
    @Arkansas
    L 21-40
    9/18
    Rice
    W 58-0
    9/25
    Texas Tech
    W 70-35
    10/2
    @TCU
    10/9
    Oklahoma
    10/16
    Oklahoma State
    10/30
    @Baylor
    11/6
    @Iowa State
    11/13
    Kansas
    11/20
    @West Virginia
    11/27
    Kansas State

Our Affiliation

USATDP_Logo.png

Quick Links

×
×
  • Create New...