Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Conference Realignment Discussion

TFloss32

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2022 at 8:28 PM, Sirhornsalot said:

Fantastic news. How ya been Doc? Wish you were posting more here.

When you say the Big 12 will have new members – are you saying in addition to the teams they've already added?

Would you say that item 1 you said is directly caused by item 2?

I understood that once other teams joined the Conference, the GOR was null and void. Is that not true?

11 hours ago, java said:

I understood that once other teams joined the Conference, the GOR was null and void. Is that not true?

If that were true then BYU jointing in 2023 would have ended the talk about TX and OU not joining the SEC until 2025.

Not sure how the rules work, it seems like TX and OU didn't agree to the expansion , yet it likely results in a reduced per team payout. I'm sure there is lots of lawyers and money people working behind the scenes figuring out the early exit amount and who will pay it.

1 hour ago, dssl said:

If that were true then BYU jointing in 2023 would have ended the talk about TX and OU not joining the SEC until 2025.

Not sure how the rules work, it seems like TX and OU didn't agree to the expansion , yet it likely results in a reduced per team payout. I'm sure there is lots of lawyers and money people working behind the scenes figuring out the early exit amount and who will pay it.

Exactly, or no buyout…but I’m no attorney.

13 hours ago, java said:

The way Chip Brown was talking about it a few weeks back on his podcast, sounded like the addition of the 2023 teams didn't void the GOR but that if more teams are added it may. Not sure if it has to do with quantity of new teams or what.

Bottom line was for a smoother, earlier and cheaper exit for Texas (and OU) better for the big 12 to add Pac 12 schools.

20 hours ago, java said:

I don't think it is. The conference board could have taken a vote with UT and OU voting one way and everyone else voting the other. We lose.

IMO, UT and OU just kinda need to keep being in the way of things. That parting fee will drop soon enough.

• 3 months later...
On 11/7/2022 at 12:09 PM, Soldierhorn said:

If this is true, the Big12 will be even MORE dominant in basketball...

wow

Hard to care too much since Texas would be gone, but this seems very odd to me.

Gonzaga is a school of about 5000 total undergraduates located in Spokane Washington, and they don't even have a football team.

It's a cool story about a small school making a name in college basketball. It's hard to imagine how this is good for the BIG12 from a revenue or travel perspective.  

19 minutes ago, dssl said:

Gonzaga is a school of about 5000 total undergraduates located in Spokane Washington, and they don't even have a football team.

It's a cool story about a small school making a name in college basketball. It's hard to imagine how this is good for the BIG12 from a revenue or travel perspective.  

Agree. The new Big 12 commish said their aim is to expand from one coast to the other, through all time zones.

I don't like this move. Gonzaga is a one-trick pony. What happens when they're no longer very good in basketball? You're just stuck with a long road trip for everyone.

11 hours ago, dssl said:

I think it's interesting - nothing more.  Having team affiliated with the Big 12 in one sport is not unusual and not a big deal. The Air Force Academy is smaller than Gonzaga. 

Here are some schools affiliated with the B12 conference in one sport....

United States Air Force Academy (wrestling)
California Baptist University (wrestling)
Missouri (wrestling)
Northern Colorado (wrestling)
Northern Iowa (wrestling)
North Dakota State (wrestling)
South Dakota State (wrestling)
Utah Valley (wrestling)
Wyoming (wrestling)
Alabama (Women's rowing)
Tennessee (Women's rowing)
California State - Fresno (Equestrian)
University of Denver (Women's Gymnastics)

2 hours ago, Soldierhorn said:

I think it's interesting - nothing more.  Having team affiliated with the Big 12 in one sport is not unusual and not a big deal. The Air Force Academy is smaller than Gonzaga. 

Here are some schools affiliated with the B12 conference in one sport....

United States Air Force Academy (wrestling)
California Baptist University (wrestling)
Missouri (wrestling)
Northern Colorado (wrestling)
Northern Iowa (wrestling)
North Dakota State (wrestling)
South Dakota State (wrestling)
Utah Valley (wrestling)
Wyoming (wrestling)
Alabama (Women's rowing)
Tennessee (Women's rowing)
California State - Fresno (Equestrian)
University of Denver (Women's Gymnastics)

None of those examples are revenue sports.  I would think that makes the arrangement much simpler. 

8 hours ago, dssl said:

None of those examples are revenue sports.  I would think that makes the arrangement much simpler. 

it doesnt matter; a sport is a sport. a revenue sport makes it easier to offset travel costs. A team like Gonzaga already has high travel costs and being in the B12 would not be much different in that regard. Gonzaga is the furthest team north in the Cali based WCC (and only team in Washington).  Once you have to get on a plane to play somewhere it's just a matter of how long the trip is.  

2 hours ago, Soldierhorn said:

it doesnt matter; a sport is a sport. a revenue sport makes it easier to offset travel costs. A team like Gonzaga already has high travel costs and being in the B12 would not be much different in that regard. Gonzaga is the furthest team north in the Cali based WCC (and only team in Washington).  Once you have to get on a plane to play somewhere it's just a matter of how long the trip is.  

Not sure why you don't think it matters.  The B12 collects money and pays out all its full members an equal share of that money.  The biggest part of the money is from football,  then the next biggest part is basketball. If they granted Gonzaga a full membership,  then they would get an equal share of all the B12 revenue which wouldn't be fair to the other members.  If they are basketball only then that wouldn't be a full membership,  and that would be a very different arrangement that would have to be negotiated and agreed to by most of the members. 

7 hours ago, dssl said:

Not sure why you don't think it matters.  The B12 collects money and pays out all its full members an equal share of that money.  The biggest part of the money is from football,  then the next biggest part is basketball. If they granted Gonzaga a full membership,  then they would get an equal share of all the B12 revenue which wouldn't be fair to the other members.  If they are basketball only then that wouldn't be a full membership,  and that would be a very different arrangement that would have to be negotiated and agreed to by most of the members. 

Gonzaga wont get a full share. win-win

7 minutes ago, Soldierhorn said:

It looks like there may be some legit interest when Gonzaga was in town yesterday

https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1593078121179537410?s=20&t=7bS5nHRwkpyznw0gAgzP2A

I dont know why the tweet didnt embed so here's a pic...

B12-gonzaga[221117]Murphy.jpg

Seems to make sense for both parties. Gonzaga has become a top tier basketball program and that is the flagship of their athletic department. Their conference (West Coast Conference) is garbage in basketball with teams many of us probably haven't even heard of. Gonzaga has to schedule a murderer's row of non-conference matchups so that their SOS isn't obscenely low. 

The Big 12 already is pushing to be the top basketball conference an adding Gonzaga to Kansas and Baylor will help with that even after losing Texas. Gonzaga would almost definitely bring in more money in the big 12, even without a full share since they lack football. Big12 adds a new time zone and region of viewers.