Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Conference Realignment Discussion

TFloss32

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2022 at 8:28 PM, Sirhornsalot said:

Fantastic news. How ya been Doc? Wish you were posting more here.

When you say the Big 12 will have new members – are you saying in addition to the teams they've already added?

Would you say that item 1 you said is directly caused by item 2?

I understood that once other teams joined the Conference, the GOR was null and void. Is that not true?

11 hours ago, java said:

I understood that once other teams joined the Conference, the GOR was null and void. Is that not true?

If that were true then BYU jointing in 2023 would have ended the talk about TX and OU not joining the SEC until 2025.

Not sure how the rules work, it seems like TX and OU didn't agree to the expansion , yet it likely results in a reduced per team payout. I'm sure there is lots of lawyers and money people working behind the scenes figuring out the early exit amount and who will pay it.

1 hour ago, dssl said:

If that were true then BYU jointing in 2023 would have ended the talk about TX and OU not joining the SEC until 2025.

Not sure how the rules work, it seems like TX and OU didn't agree to the expansion , yet it likely results in a reduced per team payout. I'm sure there is lots of lawyers and money people working behind the scenes figuring out the early exit amount and who will pay it.

Exactly, or no buyout…but I’m no attorney.

13 hours ago, java said:

The way Chip Brown was talking about it a few weeks back on his podcast, sounded like the addition of the 2023 teams didn't void the GOR but that if more teams are added it may. Not sure if it has to do with quantity of new teams or what.

Bottom line was for a smoother, earlier and cheaper exit for Texas (and OU) better for the big 12 to add Pac 12 schools.

20 hours ago, java said:

I don't think it is. The conference board could have taken a vote with UT and OU voting one way and everyone else voting the other. We lose.

IMO, UT and OU just kinda need to keep being in the way of things. That parting fee will drop soon enough.